FMA In the Movies?

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I was involved in a discussion the other day with a few friends. One of them insists that many of the newer films were leaning heavily on the FMA for their fight scenes. Star Wars and The Scorpion King, as well as StarGate: Atlantis were mentioned heavily. I'm more of the opinion that it was the CMA or JMA at the core of them, especially The Matrix, and Star Wars. So, I have to ask, how much is Hollywood leaning on the FMA today?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Game said:
Ok, I was involved in a discussion the other day with a few friends. One of them insists that many of the newer films were leaning heavily on the FMA for their fight scenes. Star Wars and The Scorpion King, as well as StarGate: Atlantis were mentioned heavily. I'm more of the opinion that it was the CMA or JMA at the core of them, especially The Matrix, and Star Wars. So, I have to ask, how much is Hollywood leaning on the FMA today?

Didn't Steven Segal have Dan Inosanto play a bad guy with sticks? IIRC, Segal won the scripted movie match, but I seem to recall thinking that in real life, Inosanto would have torn him to shreds with his sticks.

What about "The Hunted"?

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bourne Identity - Jeff Imada, fight choreographer (Inosanto Blend)
Bourne Supremacy - Jeff Imada - Jeff Imada, fight choreographer (Inosanto Blend)

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Bourne Identity - Jeff Imada, fight choreographer (Inosanto Blend)
Bourne Supremacy - Jeff Imada - Jeff Imada, fight choreographer (Inosanto Blend)

The fight in the Bourne Supremacy was stunning. While watching it, I was trying to figure out how my linear kick/punch training would handle either fighter in real life. The answer was, it wouldn't, LOL.

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, digging around a bit, I saw one of the Modern Arnis Datus was also in several movies. But it lists him as stunts?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though he is a kenpo practioner, Jeff Speakman does some impressive stick work in the Perfect Weapon.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have definately noticed that the FMAs are making their way into Film and Television more. I think it is appealing because it is not particularly well nkown and it does have a high WOW factor especially with weapons. Also a number of TV series (Like Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis) are filmed in Vancouver which has a very active FMA community. when they are casting for stunt and fight coordinators out there the FMA practiciioners have a great shot of getting in on the action.. no pun intended.

Rob

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm impressed with the amount they have used it on Stargate Atlantis.

kaliace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Even in MI:3 there is a brief flashback scene where they are working sinawali with sticks.

Glad it is on the rise.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be Datu Inocalla. He was the stuntman in the Michaelangelo (I believe) costume for the TMNT movies. I'm pretty sure that's not the extent of his film work.

Cthulhu

Ok, digging around a bit, I saw one of the Modern Arnis Datus was also in several movies. But it lists him as stunts?

DanJuanDeSiga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh c'mon guys! I'm surprised that no one has even bothered to mention the movie, "The Hunted" featuring Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio del Toro. Lots of sweet knife battles in it as coordinated by them cats from the Sayoc Kali camp.

DanJuanDeSiga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Though he is a kenpo practioner, Jeff Speakman does some impressive stick work in the Perfect Weapon.

It's a shame how the Kenpo camp never bothered to acknowledge "borrowing" FMA stick skills and incorporating it into their system by calling it, "Kenpo sticks". I've seen videos of Kenpo instructors performing 6-count sinawali drills on a heavy bag and called them "Kenpo stick coordination drills".

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FMA's are everywhere in Hollywood now a days. Just turn on any action show and you probably will see someone swinging some sticks/swords like a FMA practitioner!
icon14.gif

robertlk808

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I thought someone did mention The Hunted, lol.

Some clips Datu Shishir Inocalla from the movie The Ultimate Fight aka The Process:

Opening sequence

Rescuing Ernie Reyes Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a shame how the Kenpo camp never bothered to acknowledge "borrowing" FMA stick skills and incorporating it into their system by calling it, "Kenpo sticks". I've seen videos of Kenpo instructors performing 6-count sinawali drills on a heavy bag and called them "Kenpo stick coordination drills".

Just remember, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery- too bad they don't know the real art and they are just imitating. That just shows that they see the value of what we have in our FMA.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
...many of the newer films were leaning heavily on the FMA for their fight scenes. Star Wars and The Scorpion King, as well as StarGate: Atlantis were mentioned heavily. I'm more of the opinion that it was the CMA or JMA at the core of them, especially The Matrix, and Star Wars.

Well, now I'm going to have to go track down "Arnis Sticks of Death." Plus, now I have a reason to watch "The Hunted."
As a side note: I did quite a bit of research, actually, and feel that I should point out that the sword work in the Star Wars films are based on traditional Western sword work, CMA, and JMA. No FMA there.