Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]Q9hNrJRluAk[/yt]

This pieces 3 jointlocking techniques from past Technique of the month videos. To avoid using force on force it is sometimes better to change direction to a different technique.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite techniques. But didn't learn it like that plus never been with a hapkido instructor. The first technique I did learn from my Grandmaster. And the third technique I learned from him as well but with a slight variation. But the transition into the arm bar I learned from my Tai Chi instructor. Love how its all intertwined.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

The main issue I have with "flow drills" is that generally techniques seem to be picked that are in direct contrast in their direction as the other - this means that the opponents body weight is being forced in one direction and then in the other - this is simply impractical and often impossible.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

The main issue I have with "flow drills" is that generally techniques seem to be picked that are in direct contrast in their direction as the other - this means that the opponents body weight is being forced in one direction and then in the other - this is simply impractical and often impossible.

Close to a hundred years of sport Judo suggests otherwise...the idea is to get your opponent to resist in the first direction and change directions on him.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Close to a hundred years of sport Judo suggests otherwise...the idea is to get your opponent to resist in the first direction and change directions on him.

Hello,

I would agree, but we are talking apples and oranges. The idea in Hapkido is if the opponent is able to resist, it is 1) because you want him to go in that direction anyway, or 2) you are not performing the technique correctly. While I will certainly claim no expertise in Judo, it seems that one is "looking" for a place of advantage, where in Hapkido we are actively neutralizing an opponents energy (attack) and creating a place for counter attack. Again, that my not be a fair assessment of Judo, sorry.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I get what you're saying. As far as Judo goes, someone pulls and you push. They push, you pull. My "Hapkido" experience is limited to self defense curriculum added to tkd, but it's not dissimilar to Judo in that regard. It's just like the flow drill above, go somewhere else if he won't let you do what you want.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I get what you're saying. As far as Judo goes, someone pulls and you push. They push, you pull. My "Hapkido" experience is limited to self defense curriculum added to tkd, but it's not dissimilar to Judo in that regard. It's just like the flow drill above, go somewhere else if he won't let you do what you want.

Hello,

I guess if "flow Drills" are used as just that, a drill to measure out a technique vs. energy that would be ok, but too often I see it as an actual example of how to fight...then it is worrisome because that is not how Hapkido techniques are devised.

Latest Discussions