Flooding in Upstate NY

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, things are just lovely here. Heavy rain for the last several days, and now we're dealing with flooding. Here's a pic taken in downtown Oneonta yesterday afternoon. Portions of this street were washed away. Oneonta is in a state of emergency, and several nearby towns have been evacuated. Now I wonder if my golf league will be cancelled... :uhyeah:

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice picture! I gotta think that guy was having fun.

The flooding hasn't been quite so bad up here, but there are a lot of farmers who have ponds where their fields should be.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We've in the process of evacuating people from along the Delaware River - very similar to the flooding situation in Sept '04 and April of '05. Rained VERY heavy up near the headwaters of the river and we reached flood stage about a day and a half later.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Well, things are just lovely here. Heavy rain for the last several days, and now we're dealing with flooding. Here's a pic taken in downtown Oneonta yesterday afternoon. Portions of this street were washed away. Oneonta is in a state of emergency, and several nearby towns have been evacuated. Now I wonder if my golf league will be cancelled... :uhyeah:

Is there Lightning? If no then you probably will play. ;)

If the water is a new construction of man made then you get a free lift. If not then you play it where it lies including lost balls in rolling water. :(

If your league plays with "winter rules" then you might get a free lift as well. :uhyeah:

Seriously, though all the flooding in the North East and East Coast are bad. There is a high pressure system in the Atlantic that is holding and not moving. Combine this with the warm south Atlantic moisture that is moving north west into the coast, and the standard storms from the West and out of the Canadian plains are all colliding on the East Coast. :wah:

It is bad.

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Is there Lightning? If no then you probably will play. ;)
The course is in the next county, where they've been having a lot of evacuations.
If your league plays with "winter rules" then you might get a free lift as well. :uhyeah:
Actually we do play winter rules. There's a few guys who will fluff the ball no matter what, so we decided to make it fair for the rest who actually follow the rules.
It is bad.
I was asked to travel to another office shortly after making my first post in this thread. I called the local State Trooper barracks and found out that pretty much everywhere around us is experiencing flooding. I-88, which is the main highway between Albany and Binghamton, NY (where I was supposed to go); is washed out about 20 miles west of me.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
The course is in the next county, where they've been having a lot of evacuations.

Actually we do play winter rules. There's a few guys who will fluff the ball no matter what, so we decided to make it fair for the rest who actually follow the rules.

I was asked to travel to another office shortly after making my first post in this thread. I called the local State Trooper barracks and found out that pretty much everywhere around us is experiencing flooding. I-88, which is the main highway between Albany and Binghamton, NY (where I was supposed to go); is washed out about 20 miles west of me.

As to "fluffling", when some do it, I have found that those leagues either jump on people and penalize them in which case those who fluff leave, or the Winter rules are put in place. ;)

As to the going to another office, are they providing you with a Helicopter? That seems like the only way to get around from your description. :(

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
As to "fluffling", when some do it, I have found that those leagues either jump on people and penalize them in which case those who fluff leave, or the Winter rules are put in place. ;)
Our league isn't one of the hardcore competitive ones, so we decided to go the winter rules route. Of course, when my opponent takes 3 to get on the green of a par 4, then 3 putts and says he scored a bogey, I'll still point out their math error. Competitive or not, I don't cheat, and I don't expect others to...

As to the going to another office, are they providing you with a Helicopter? That seems like the only way to get around from your description. :(
Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), I don't rate air transportation. So for now I'm providing remote support, as the WAN is apparently still unaffected...

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm from Canandiagua NY (40 minutes south of Rochester). We didn't see flooding yet, but we saw sheets of rain from hel ..... The past two days. I even drove home from work in a down-poor. That sucked. I couldn't see a thing. Thats how hard it was, and windy ... blow'in my mini van across the road, almost.

I don't know what's better? the rain or the heat or both (waiting for snowboarding season hehehehehe).

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's pretty bad where I live too. I gotta look and see if there's pictures... Luckily there wasn't anything serious. I heard it's supposed to rain all week long, but today it's just been off and on (it's been raining since Sunday- non stop). I'm beginning to feel like a duck!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like what part of my town went through several weeks ago. I feel for ya Kreth. Think dry thoughts :D

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
NYS Thruway closed from exit 25a to I believe 34, part of route I-88 closed as well all due to flooding.
Correction: part of I-88 is gone. :uhyeah:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Correction: part of I-88 is gone. :uhyeah:

I just saw the picture in the paper this morning. Most unfortunately 2 truck drivers lost their lives there, my condolences to their families. :asian:

Thruway still closed, and I drove along the Mohawk today, very high and more rain possible today.

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I just saw the picture in the paper this morning. Most unfortunately 2 truck drivers lost their lives there, my condolences to their families. :asian:
Luckily, there have only been 3 fatalities reported locally, all due to washed out roads. The officials have been doing a good job with evacuations.
Thruway still closed, and I drove along the Mohawk today, very high and more rain possible today.
Just what we need... :rolleyes: