Flashy Techniques

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In a lot of Martial Arts videos, and books that I've gone through, it often occurs that the expert will say something along the lines of "Don't use flashy techniques, like those other people do."

Now, in all of my Martial Arts experience, the only time I've ever seen anyone do anything flashy was when -

a) They were just playing around, to have a little bit of fun.
b) The techniques, although appeared to look really fancy, where actually simple, and only looked that way because they were really good at doing those moves.

This has lead me to start wondering if the term "flashy techniques" is somewhat of a meaningless phrase. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In a lot of Martial Arts videos, and books that I've gone through, it often occurs that the expert will say something along the lines of "Don't use flashy techniques, like those other people do."

Now, in all of my Martial Arts experience, the only time I've ever seen anyone do anything flashy was when -

b) The techniques, although appeared to look really fancy, where actually simple, and only looked that way because they were really good at doing those moves.

This has lead me to start wondering if the term "flashy techniques" is somewhat of a meaningless phrase. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

More like when the person doing the talking doesn't fully understand or comprehend what's being done when it comes to the "video professor" making that kind of comment.

I tend go along with your choice 'b' because IME especially in CMA's the technique & application is very simple & to the point, but not necessarily apparent to people not familiar with what's being shown.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think flashy techniques get a bad name because people see a fight where someone with very little experience attempts something flashy and gets beaten badly and then people jump to the conclusion that it was the tech that didnt work and dont really look at who was attempting it. I saw a few kids back in my school days try throwing a spinning hook kick in a fight after a couple of months training in tkd and it would not end well for them. I always thought a spinning hook was useless because of this until I saw someone get knocked out with one by a guy who had 15 years of training under his belt.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that 'flash' could be defined a number of ways. I think that alot of the time, if it doesnt fall into the K.I.S.S category (Keep It Short and Simple) it could be flash. Things that may not seem to be practical could also be considered flash. I think that some useful things can be gained from the flash, but IMO, depending on what your goals are in training, gear what you do accordingly.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that 'flash' could be defined a number of ways. I think that alot of the time, if it doesnt fall into the K.I.S.S category (Keep It Short and Simple) it could be flash. Things that may not seem to be practical could also be considered flash. I think that some useful things can be gained from the flash, but IMO, depending on what your goals are in training, gear what you do accordingly.
Also we need to consider how long it takes to become neutral again. A kick to the head is not only slow, it twice as slow when you consider the return motion; and, return motion is half your art.
Sean

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To me flashy has always been about unnecessary gymnastics or be simply for show.
like this

some of his moves appear to be soley for dramatic effect and attacks are not aimed at any specific targets.

I agree that some things may seem flashy but actual be practical, but there are definitely some people that practice something simply for show.

Last edited by a moderator:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me flashy has always been about unnecessary gymnastics or be simply for show.
like this

some of his moves appear to be soley for dramatic effect and attacks are not aimed at any specific targets.

I agree that some things may seem flashy but actual be practical, but there are definitely some people that practice something simply for show.

I can't comment... My momma always told me if there's nothing nice to say, don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
HK-- good video. Nauseating, but to the point. I think folks here are trying too hard to be tolerant and civil. In a fighting context "flash" is anything that is even one bit more complicated or difficult than what it takes to get the job done. Period. I come from a WC background and we pride ourselves on simplicity and efficiency. But every combat art I've ever experienced, regardless of their other differences, concur on this point. If the rest of you don't think there's an excess of useless flash out there, you must waste a lot less time watching Youtube than I do!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Less practical and more for looks. All show no go.............. IMO

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i know in competition people dont bother with flashy.

In contact competitions I agree, but in forms/kata competitions flashy "X-TREAM!!!" martial arts techniques are used to impress the audience and judges who don't care about practicality.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, to the general public, anything that is not what they consider "everyday" will be considered flashy. Shoot, I could throw a spinning hook kick or spinning backfist and thse could be considered flashy even though they are typical to my school's training and standard techniques. For that matter, I could throw a loop choke on someone andit could be considered flashy since it looks complex.

Perceived reality.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
i know in competition people dont bother with flashy.
I suppose it depends on how you define 'flashy'. I would consider a spinning hook kick as flashy and there have been countless knockouts with that kick in k1, kickboxing, full contact karate/tkd and Ive even seen a few in muay thai. If you're talking about 540 kicks and the like, then I have to agree, Ive never seen those sorts of techs used in competition.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also we need to consider how long it takes to become neutral again. A kick to the head is not only slow, it twice as slow when you consider the return motion; and, return motion is half your art.
Sean

Thats one of the reasons why I dont kick to the head. I have, during sparring, but thats during sparring. When someone is trying to knock my head off, no, I'm not kicking to his head, when I have other options. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
More like when the person doing the talking doesn't fully understand or comprehend what's being done when it comes to the "video professor" making that kind of comment.

I tend go along with your choice 'b' because IME especially in CMA's the technique & application is very simple & to the point, but not necessarily apparent to people not familiar with what's being shown.

Yes

Not necessarily... depends on your training background.

One person's flash is another's simple & direct.

And yes again