First no gi session

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So today I turned up for an open mat session and I was late because I had other stuff on but I got there and everyone was rolling no gi so I just jumped in and it was a lot of fun. Funnily enough I felt I was better at no gi than I am at gi. I even manage to to tap a blue belt a few times once with a standard arm bar, once with a inverted arm bar from the back and once with an omoplata. I mean I don't think that blue belt is the best there because I think he trains more in Mma than he does pure bjj and he's had a few months out and I was still dominated by another white belt with 4 stripes haha but it was a lot of fun. I'd like to do some more no gi but frankly my training schedule is so full that it wouldn't be a good idea. But still it was enjoyable

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i kinda wish there was a Tenth Planet near me. i would love to train it.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
i kinda wish there was a Tenth Planet near me. i would love to train it.
That's the good thing about my place there's every type of class available. Gi and no gi, takedowns, Mma and strength and conditioning and there's open mat sessions every single day.if I ever have to cut down on training because of money issues I'd 100% just train there because its only 40 a month and you can do as many classes as you want so that place is the best value for my money.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's the good thing about my place there's every type of class available. Gi and no gi, takedowns, Mma and strength and conditioning and there's open mat sessions every single day.if I ever have to cut down on training because of money issues I'd 100% just train there because its only 40 a month and you can do as many classes as you want so that place is the best value for my money.
wow team link which is near me is 120 a month and its not unlimited

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
wow team link which is near me is 120 a month and its not unlimited
Wow that's a lot no way I'd pay that but to be fair that's 40 pounds not dollars but still that's way more. I mean I only 75 a month for all my training including Muay Thai. I guess team link is a bigger name but still my place is Gracie Barra but I guess it's the name value as well

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow that's a lot no way I'd pay that but to be fair that's 40 pounds not dollars but still that's way more. I mean I only 75 a month for all my training including Muay Thai. I guess team link is a bigger name but still my place is Gracie Barra but I guess it's the name value as well
thats normal around here and it always involves a 1 year contract

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pfft screw that no way I'd ever train for that.
There was a bjj guy that opened up not far from me. 65 dollars a month with a contract. I was excited. Bought 2 new Venum gis and showed up for a class and to sign on the dotted line....he was gone, closed up. He was only open for maybe 6 months.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That does sound like a good rate.

My association pushes contracts and high monthly rates. To keep them happy I had to raise my rates to $100 per month for three evenings a week, which is about the going rate, but at least I don't use contracts and I cover all testing fees myself. Oh, and if you pay for three months at a time, I knock off $50. But I don't tell the Assn. about that.

Still, after rent, insurance, the monthly association dues and memberships, and testing fees (covered out of my pocket), I barely make enough to cover my own training expenses. This year I may actually lose money. How people actually make a profit at this without teaching a bunch of kids is beyond me. But then, I'm no businessman. If I were rich I'd probably teach for free. If nothing else, it keeps me training. After all. if you're the teacher, you can't just stay home 'cause you feel beat at the end of the day! ;)

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a bjj guy that opened up not far from me. 65 dollars a month with a contract. I was excited. Bought 2 new Venum gis and showed up for a class and to sign on the dotted line....he was gone, closed up. He was only open for maybe 6 months.
That's why I'd never do contract. Heck I never even did monthly payments until recently and I realised it worked out a lot cheaper than paying drop in fees which were 7 pounds a lesson so If I trained 3 times a week I'd be paying 22 pounds a week so it's much better off paying the 40

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Honestly I'd expect anyone trying to run a full time location at $65 / month to close up pretty soon, the math just won't work. He probably needed 100 students just to pay his overhead with little advertising and not taking home any money at all. I know with where I am $65 / month is completely unrealistic, unless you take a health club attitude and try to have half your members paying but never actually showing up that is. But at pretty much any size the expenses will overshoot the money coming in at those rates.

I know the tendency from the outside is too like cheap rates, but if the rates can't support the business it doesn't really help anyone.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's why I'd never do contract. Heck I never even did monthly payments until recently and I realised it worked out a lot cheaper than paying drop in fees which were 7 pounds a lesson so If I trained 3 times a week I'd be paying 22 pounds a week so it's much better off paying the 40

Any contract should void itself if the business shuts down operations

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Pfft screw that no way I'd ever train for that.

That's not a lot to me, and sometimes you don't really have a choice if you want to train. Where I'm currently training, I pay $150 a month. That's actually cheaper than the dojo I left in July(?), and also cheaper than a decent number of the other places near me.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's not a lot to me, and sometimes you don't really have a choice if you want to train. Where I'm currently training, I pay $150 a month. That's actually cheaper than the dojo I left in July(?), and also cheaper than a decent number of the other places near me.
Then I'd simply not train as I can't afford that

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then I'd simply not train as I can't afford that

Rates often reflect the varying standards of living in different localities. So, if you lived in a place where all the schools charged that much, you might well be making enough to afford their rates.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today I turned up for an open mat session and I was late because I had other stuff on but I got there and everyone was rolling no gi so I just jumped in and it was a lot of fun. Funnily enough I felt I was better at no gi than I am at gi. I even manage to to tap a blue belt a few times once with a standard arm bar, once with a inverted arm bar from the back and once with an omoplata. I mean I don't think that blue belt is the best there because I think he trains more in Mma than he does pure bjj and he's had a few months out and I was still dominated by another white belt with 4 stripes haha but it was a lot of fun. I'd like to do some more no gi but frankly my training schedule is so full that it wouldn't be a good idea. But still it was enjoyable
I sometimes forget how different gi/no-gi can be in grappling. I have to think back to my Judo days. In NGA, we don't tend to use the gi very often in techniques (because we can't expect that kind of help), except when specifically looking at how to capitalize on some types of clothing, or how to defend from someone using clothing against us. In Judo, of course, they use the gi a lot for grip and access to grip points that don't otherwise exist. So the only time the gi is a factor is when we're fully (or at least vigorously) resisting each other, because then we'll use whatever we have (including their gi). My quickest reminder of the difference is when I get on the mats with a BJJer or Judo player, wearing my gi. They quickly remind me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rates often reflect the varying standards of living in different localities. So, if you lived in a place where all the schools charged that much, you might well be making enough to afford their rates.
Agreed. KD is in New York. Prices there are different than prices down here. It's not common to find a school charging more than $100 down here, and not too hard to find something closer to $50 (my current fee).

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I sometimes forget how different gi/no-gi can be in grappling. I have to think back to my Judo days. In NGA, we don't tend to use the gi very often in techniques (because we can't expect that kind of help), except when specifically looking at how to capitalize on some types of clothing, or how to defend from someone using clothing against us. In Judo, of course, they use the gi a lot for grip and access to grip points that don't otherwise exist. So the only time the gi is a factor is when we're fully (or at least vigorously) resisting each other, because then we'll use whatever we have (including their gi). My quickest reminder of the difference is when I get on the mats with a BJJer or Judo player, wearing my gi. They quickly remind me.
I prefer no gi In some ways as there's less to defend with collar chokes etc. that's why when I watch the old ufc events I don't know why some insisted on wearing a gi especially knowing they'd be fighting Gracie its just giving him more weapon and he did actually win some by collar choke

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer no gi In some ways as there's less to defend with collar chokes etc. that's why when I watch the old ufc events I don't know why some insisted on wearing a gi especially knowing they'd be fighting Gracie its just giving him more weapon and he did actually win some by collar choke
I don't get it, either. I mean, it's what they're comfortable in (no way I'd be comfortable in a pair of vale tudo shorts and nothing else, so I'm pretty sure that's why they chose it. But I don't know why the practical concern of the competition didn't override that.