1) Sidearm,
2) Shotgun,
3) Patrol rifle,
4) Tact. team weapon,
5) Sniper rife.

In my opinon,
1) Glock 40 cal. or a Sig in 40 cal.
2) 14" Remington F.B.I. special in 12 ga. 3" mag.,
3) Suppressed 16" AR 15 with a c.a.r. stock equiped with aimpoint sighting.
4) Same as three but equiped with a upper tacticle slide rail & lower led light with a pressure activated switch,
5) Remington 700 in 308 with variable optics, (night & day).

:uzi:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Glocks for cops; they're rugged, dependable, and simple. Less to go wrong when it hits the fan. .40 is a good compromise calibre; it's enough to do the job, without overkill. It doesn't have all the stopping power of a .45... but it's more effective than a 9 mm.

Shotgun... Their are fancy guns out there -- but the Remington has a certain cachet... EVERYONE knows the sound of a shotgun being racked. Rounds should include slug and 00 buck.

Rifles? Not really something I've had the training to suggest. Those officers in my department who carry one have AR15s; I'm not exactly sure of the load.

Tac teams? They should carry weapons suited to their missions. Sometimes, that'll mean rifles and shotguns, but in other cases, a handgun may be appropriate. For example, when the specialty unit I'm on does low to medium risk search warrants, most of us carry our sidearms; a few may have a rifle or shotgun, especially if we anticipate firearms or weapons. We may even, in some rare situations, have someone ready with a Taser. (Remember... low to medium risk -- not intentially high risk/dynamic entry.) But... when we use a SWAT team to do a dynamic entry, they are much more likely to use a long gun or two.

And snipers? I leave that choice to the experts; I'm certainly not one!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
In your opinon, for LEO's, what is the best,
1) Glock in .40 or .45
2) Rem 870
3) M4 .223 w/ Black Hills 75gr JHP
4) as a general entry weapon? see above
5) Rem M-24 .308

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I
Shotgun... Their are fancy guns out there -- but the Remington has a certain cachet... EVERYONE knows the sound of a shotgun being racked. Rounds should include slug and 00 buck.

Very well said...I like my Sig P-226, not a real Glock fan....The full tme job just issued them ( Glocks) last year..

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some good choices. We currently carry SIG P229. Not a bad gun, but we have had some problems with them since switching over last year. Prior to that, plain clothes carried Glocks, field carried Berettas. I must say that I really liked my Beretta. A heavier weapon, yes, but never once did I have a misfire with it. In trainings, I had it disassembled and packed with mud, reassembled it on the fly and shot a course with nary a problem. I'm still deciding if I like the SIG as much.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very well said...I like my Sig P-226, not a real Glock fan....The full tme job just issued them ( Glocks) last year..

I like Glocks. They're not pretty, but they're dependable. They're not fancy... but they tolerate abuse well. (Glock Torture Test) 'Cause... let's be honest. Most cops don't take the care of their sidearm that they should. (I know one officer who never cleaned his Glock in 5 years... and never had a problem with it!)

The one thing I don't like about Glocks is that you have to pull the trigger to field strip 'em. If you get careless about visually and physically verifying an empty chamber before you do so... you get a loud & nasty surprise!

Latest Discussions