Finishing the real naked choke ??

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can’t choke myself out and I wanted to see how the space closed based on what I learned in class

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am an odd guy as you may have noticed lol

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have had 4 instructors show me 3-4 different finishes and now I am confused

1) you keep back of hand behind neck and squeeze elbows and drive head forward

2) same set up but you bring and squeeze lats back . Opposite motion

3) drive forward with head and squeeze lats back while squeezing elbows . This has many forces working and different directions

nothing in BJJ is Easy . Confused
Yes

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I get it now. If I hold my hands and elbows a certain way it feels like somebody else is choking the chicken.

I guess all roads do indeed lead to Rome.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am doing the beg class tonight !!

When I did Krav Maga it was every technique is done this way

in BJJ it seems more concepts with huge variation
That's because most techniques actually work across a pretty wide range of variation..........so long as you understand and apply the key principles.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The variation and adjustment thing is part of all arts. Sure, you can study arts with lots of forms or kata, and people get all crazy about exactly what angle and position everything is, and if you are not a carbon copy, then you are doing it wrong. However, as soon as you introduce resistance, then the adjustments and variation need to take place. The form, kata or drill should be done in order to study the core components. Ideally, if you really have the core components and an understanding what you are doing and why... the adjustments and variations become second nature.

When doing kata / form based arts, the problem is that people forget to look deep to find the core concepts of the movements they are practicing. If you stay at a surface level, it gets very confusing and very hard to understand how what you practice relates to what you doing against resistance. Making adjustments and variations is then also hard.

When doing an art where they don't study kata / forms, but go straight to the applicable techniques... people have the same problem of not looking deep to understand the core components of what the techniques are working on. Again, it then gets confusing and frustrating when resistance is added because you never get the opportunity to use the exact drill you practiced. Without knowing the core concepts, its hard know how to make the necessary adjustments and variations.

These two types of training are really trying to solve the same problem. How to teach and pass on the core concepts in an effective manner. Some people learn one way better, some learn the other way better. No matter what style you choose to train, you need to go beyond surface level to understand the core concepts. And you need to get out of the drills and meet some resistance.
Well stated.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to keep it super tight then push forward
If fails , then I will pull back with lats

so I can chain together 2 variations
Or vice versa

also did the one arm choke : I have always done it as trachea choke but coach wants it as blood choke . It just depends where you put the crook of your elbow
Trachea chokes suck and really "shouldn't" be used on the mat just rollin'... they get people quite irritated and they'll want to retaliate in some way... might not be the most sporting thing to do while training with your buddies... that's probably why your coach is trying to get you to not do that.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I get it now. If I hold my hands and elbows a certain way it feels like somebody else is choking the chicken.

I guess all roads do indeed lead to Rome.

Sit on your hand for a bit first so it goes numb...

Latest Discussions