Finding Your Path!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I know how I found my path in the martial arts. Basically as a kid I wanted to physically feel effective. See some movies and demonstrations hooked me that I could get this from the martial sciences and the rest is history. So how did you find your path?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I was young teen, I have always wanted to learn martial arts. I believe it was when I found a Karate book when we moved into another house. But for one reason or another, taking Karate was not possible. Then later in the mid 80s, it was the ninja movies that caught my attention, then I stumbled onto Stephen Hayes' books and read them. After reading them I realized, THAT is for me! :D At that time, I had no means to train and training was far away and not even in the realm of possibilities.

It wasn't until my 30s, watching my son in his TKD class that I was reminded of what I had wanted to do all these years. I was torn between the choices of training with my son or following my heart (so to speak). I found someone right in my backyard that taught Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, and the rest is history.

My life has been greatly and positively influenced by my training! I am no longer the same person I was before. :)

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was / am a Bruce Lee kid.

I saw a documentary where he was explaining the concept of beauty and fear based on understanding. He then went into some hand strikes and said it was the same for Kung Fu people fear it but it is beautiful.

I agreed and as they say the rest is has already happened :)

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched alot of TV as a kid, there was always a TV show where the hero did something I thought was cool, then the Green Hornet came on, and I was hooked. Then it was the library, movies, etc. until I went into the service, and had the money to train.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a young kid I was facinated and watched the TKD club practicing in my school. I was too young to join as they didn't have any kids programs. Every year I asked my mom if I was big enough to join but was told no. So I guess you can say I found out martial arts was my thing since I can remember. I've tried a few arts such at TKD, Kempo and Okinawan Karate, Bujinkan Taijutsu, Iaido, Escrima and Muay Thai but I didn't truly find myself until Thai boxing. I like the fact that there were no rigid rules concerning the art (apart from the guidelines). I was taught how to punch, kick, elbow and knee and I was free to create and experiment with my tools having no extensive forms to memorize. So with Muay Thai, I felt alive.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been interested in the MA's for as long as I can remember. I tried Judo as a kid, but the instructor, while probably being very skilled, didn't know how to teach kids; my interest level dropped and I didn't last too long. Later I was living in Southern Michigan and tried several different arts, a few were interesting, but none "grabbed" me. A few I realize now were McDojos' and those just had a flat feel to them, a couple the "Instructors" were less skilled in SD than I was already. (Didn't exactly grow up on the Choir Boy side of life. :) ) I had almost given up finding an art that would fit until I moved to Presque Isle, ME area. My brother went to a class and the following week he told me I had to come check it out with him. I walked into John Poliquin's "Discovery Institute of Martial Arts" which was teaching Ninjutsu, under Hatsumi Soke's Bujinkin orginization. After about 10 minutes I KNEW I had found what I was looking for. Been involved for a long time now, but had to take a few long years off training due to marriage and starting a family. Proud to say I'm back training now and still know I made the right decision all those years ago. There have been changes to the school, and some I do not agree with, but it isn't enough to detract from the path I have taken.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was like any kid growing up seeing movies and shows with MA's in them. I was in aww, i wanted to do the things they were doing. I am 21 now, so I was in 1st or 2nd grade when Power Rangers hit TV. As you can imagine I was in absolute heaven. I remeber watching the show and punching and kicking everything in site. I wanted to take lessons so badly but I never signed up. I played soccer, baseball, basketball and football all through grade school so my parents thought i had enough on my plate. I started high school and dropped the sports and picked up a job instead. The start of college was the same. Work and homework were the only thing i ever did. I started going to gym to get back in shape and this is where I agrivated an old injury. I was not able to go to the gym for a while but i need soemthing to keep me active. So thats when i decided to look into taking martial arts lessons. I did my research and found a school that interested me, Bluegrass Martial Arts. I had my introductory class and was hooked. My instructor talked to me like a person and a friend instead of acting as if i was only more money to him, this is what appealed to me the most. Now im an orange belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate and rapidly approaching my purple belt. I have made some really good friends and met some very impressive people. I love the martial arts i hope to obtain my black belt and then branch out and study other forms maybe so Hung Gar or Aikido.

This is my story.

B

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
THERE’S A PATH!!!! DAMN!!!! I wish someone told me :uhyeah:

I happened to be at a mall with my parents when I saw a Jujitsu demo and a friend of mine was in the demo, 2 weeks later I was in Jujitsu. This was either just before or just after Enter the Dragon came out.

kcast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have always been amazed by MA, ask a child I loved the ninja turtles and any martial arts movie, however my parents didn't think it would be a good idea to take it. Years went on and then I got hired with the city police department, took a few DT classes and realized that it was not enough and I wanted MORE! I met my current sensai (sp?) at the gym and he enlightened me about shaolin kempo, he is a 5th degree BB and a great instructor! Ever since then I've been hooked!

Reaction score
i found myself at just 9 years of age , i had always loved the bruce lee films and my uncle and brother were both black belts in jujitsu so i took classes for 3 years but it didnt fit me at the time , i got bored of it and its slow gradings (i saw impatient) and wanted to do a striking art at 11 years old , i went to taekwondo classes for a few months and got bored and realised i was too young (all the people in my classes were always much older than me). then at about 13 i just suddenly started training again , me and my brother trained jujitsu and taekwondo together in my living room for a couple of weeks (i was trying to focus on learning about the martial arts rather than learning them at the time so i could pick an art i thought would suit me). then i saw a muay thai video and i was hooked , a couple of months after my 14th borthday i started going to a boxing gym near me where my instructor rented a room for muay thai training , and ive been training there ever sinse.

soon were hoping to get a place of our won rather than a rented gym hall

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It clicked for me since i like physical and mental training, I like to teach, and I like seeing others improve.
It helped that I had a great role model also very early on.
Since then having some great students has also kept me on the path.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just always wanted to be the guy who got say this:

"Fear does not exist in this dojo.
Pain does not exist in this dojo.
Defeat does not exist in this dojo.

We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition. A man confronts you he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy."

I mean thats just god-damn classy.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just always wanted to be the guy who got say this:

"Fear does not exist in this dojo.
Pain does not exist in this dojo.
Defeat does not exist in this dojo.

We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition. A man confronts you he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy."

I mean thats just god-damn classy.
You DO know he was the bad guy right ? :)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a preteen and teen I studied hapkido from dad in the summer and played school sports during the year. I loved judo and wrestling. I am a small person in height and weight at the time so those were perfect for me.

I did Judo and wrestled for the Marines. I have found my favorite flavors of arts as an adult have to be MSK TKD and HKD without a doubt. The calibur of instruction is 2nd to none in my opinion.

I have been around a lot of schools and arts during my travels so I feel lucky to be where I am at. Put it to you this way. If MSK TKD or HKD I would work out in my basement and not go anywhere else.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I came into the game very, very late. It was rather odd, in a way. I spent a good deal of one year when I was in my early fifties worrying about some very strange and ominous symptoms that I had, which also disturbed my doctor, enough that he made appointments for me to be checked over first by a rheumatologist and then by a neurologist. They were investigating the possibility that I had an incurable and invariably fatal neuromuscular disease, one which my father in law was dying of during that same period. I had a passing thought at one point during that period that if it turned out all right, then I would start studying some martial art... not sure where the thought came from, but there it was, and it persisted. After waiting several months to see the neurologist and then have a followup EMG, I learned that I was fine, and I remember that one of my first thoughts was, now I need to find a MA to study.

Very soon after that we learned that there would be a TKD class offered at a nearby rec center, and that many kids from our son's elementary school were going to be taking the class, including a number of his friends at the time, so it seemed reasonable to sign him up. I took him there for a couple of months and stayed to watch, and it looked very good to me—I'd had a hard, linear approach in mind—so I joined the class... and that was that!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
My dad took a couple of classes (never made it past white belt) in karate because he thought he was going to be drafted into the Vietnam War and wanted to prepare himself.

He taught me the reverse punch.

I also read his copy of Bruce Tegner's Complete Book of Self-Defense (I think that was the one after googling it and looking at the book covers...) many times and tried to pick up techniques from it. Not too successfully, in any case.

When I was in 7th grade, my folks moved us to the Caribbean island (West Indies) of Montserrat where my dad attended medical school.

The island had one movie theater that was only open on weekends. Nearly all the movies that played there were Kung Fu movies (they also played the occassional spaghetti western and once got a copy of the film "Jaws").

My friends and I would, of course, play "kung fu fighting" inspired by the films.

Many, many years later after moving to Southeast Missouri to work as a DJ at a radio station and be near my folks who had moved there about two years prior, I met and started hanging out with a guy named Tim Wall who had taken taekwondo as a kid and reached blue belt before quitting to cruise cars, chase girls and work on JKD-type stuff in the backyard with a buddy of his.

One day, while hanging out at his place, I asked him about his "karate" trophies. I told him I was interested in learning some techniques, although I wasn't really interested in "belts" or anything.

So we started working out in his living room. Soon my brother and another good friend joined us. Soon after that, we had about a half dozen guys showing to work out.

While looking for a place to rent so we would have more room, Wall checked out the dojang where he had trained as a kid and found a guy named Steve Dunn was teaching.

Next time we showed up to work out at his place, he said, "You guys can do what you want, but I'm going to start training with this Steve Dunn guy."

His recommendation was good enough for me — especially since my jaw was wired shut, having been broken in a bar altercation a couple of weeks before. Training seriously seemed like an even better idea.

I only wish I had decided earlier in life to give martial arts a try as it certainly has made a significant positive difference in my life.

Latest Discussions