Finding Good Training Pants

Barimacan

White Belt
Reaction score
I primarily train in Harimau and Mande Muda Silat which involves a lot of low postures and kicking from odd angles. Needless to say this very intense on my training pants. I have torn not one, not two, but three pairs of training pants in the crotch (of course the worst possible place) in the last 6 months. I have torn my pants both at a seminar and durning normal training. I used 'Fist' pants for about 8 months and those worked pretty well. I also tried sweats and some generic workout pants but neither of those worked too well. I have aslo tried BDU's but those didnt seem to do as well as the 'Fist' pants. Any suggestions? I would prefer to not have to be constantly buying new pants.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are these pants that you are ripping martial arts training pants from a martial arts company, or just workout pants bought at your local department store?
They need to have the diamond shapped gusset crotch for them not to rip.
Go buy a typical karate/taekwondo uniform and just use the pants. I think www.martialartsmart.com has some on clearance.

AoG

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have some alternatives...

You can wear shorts or sweats. Sweats might be a little hot in some places, but they're still an option. Thai boxing shorts are very cool but might not stand up the serious groundwork. Check out other sorts of shorts. You're bound to find something.

You might also consider pants with gussets. They helped me a lot when we started doing lower and lower stances and getting into Minangkabau Harimau a couple years ago. Some brands of martial artists' jeans have this feature. Gis from kicking styles do too, although they might also be a little flimsy. Worse comes to worst you can pay someone to sew one into pants that will take the punishment.

Tiel points out that all of this changes if you work out on mats. Mats are sometimes indifferently cleaned and often lead to ringworm and other less mentionable skin diseases in grapplers. If you do use mats you might want to stick to long pants such as sweats.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your problem is simple to fix as I have used Heavyweight 12 ounce and above to 14 ounce Martial Arts uniforms for years and never had them rip out while doing the low stances, etc. Just get a pair of pants in black and you are good to go.

If you want a Silat uniform here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Indonesian-...7542291QQihZ011QQcategoryZ73988QQcmdZViewItem

or here:
http://tingfong.com.sg/online/index.php?action=item&id=82&prevaction=pricelist

or here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRADITIONAL-M...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Hope that helps a bit.

OP
Barimacan

Barimacan

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, i will most likely choose one or two of the types of those suggested below and report back.

Latest Discussions