Finding a Fight?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Where and what would be needed to get a chance to fight a cage match?
I'm looking in the Dallas Texas area, and having a hard time finding the information I need to enroll a fighter. (or whatever it's called)
Help!
Totally clueless!

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I called a couple of MMA schools and they didn't give me names of promoters. Seems like their keeping that under their hat a bit. Is there another way I could find local promoters in the area and contact them?

Also, I've been told that in Texas you have to be affiliated with a "accredited" MMA club and they have to recomend you to fight. Is there a way around this? We were hoping to go in independent of school affiliation.

(Plus, we be poor folks! lol! Most schools want 200 a month!)

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
first off, try & hook up with someone in your area who knows the local mma scene & is willing to help you, or you WILL be used as sharkbait.

second, don't take any fights on short notice "oh, we just had a spot open on our card 3 days from now..."

third, try http://iscfmma.com/ & see if there are any events coming up. contact a promoter & tell him you want to fight.

jf

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you done any MMA training?

Or at least some Boxing / kickboxing AND wrestling / submission grappling / BJJ with people that have fought in those events?

Most promoters would (I'd hope) want that, they shouldn't just be throwing anyone that wants in into the cage.

Apart from that you have another major disadvantage, female fights are rare compared to male fights. There just aren't a lot of women fighting, which is going to make finding a fight a lot harder. I think your best bet would be poking around at http://www.fightergirls.com/ for advice and events.

Keep in mind that events will be few and far between, as will be opponents. Not to mention that unless you have some fight experience in a sport that is related to MMA (Kickboxing, grappling, etc) some promoters might not want to risk throwing you in against someone that does have that experience.

Now to be perfectly honest, if you are not training in MMA, you should not be fighting in MMA competitions, this is something you should prepare for, which means training for it, under the rules of it, against other people that are doing the same.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Email Skip Hall for advice on how to get started in the States, he's a brilliant guy, has only just recently retired from fighting ( aged 62), has trained fighters and has also judged for the UFC. He's a mine of information!
[email protected]

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is all for my husband. He's competing. He's 4-1 in San Shau and going again this October in Austin. If he gets and invitation, we'll be going to Vegas. The Austin fight doesn't pay, but Las Vegas would.
We were hoping to do a couple of cage fights in the meanwhile.

But have found that that is harder than it seems. Thanks for the info all!

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Guy Mezger called me back and recommended that my hubbie do at least 10 ameture fights first before fighting in a paid match.

We're having a couple of problems with this.
1. You can't use elbows, or knee the head.
2. No money, it costs to train and feed this guy! lol!
3. Time factor.

He did give me the name and number of a ameture fight promoter in our area, and gonna give him a call.

Hubbie's just started his serious training this week, and should be ready to compete in two months. Honestly, he's going to compete in San Shau first. I'm figuring that since he's already got a fight record of 4-1 in San Shau he's more ready for serious competition in the cage.

Reasoning:
1. San Shau you fight 5-8 different fighters in one day. three three minute rounds. Unless you win the first two rounds.
2. He's gotten experience fighting "unknown" opponents, as in their style and such are totally unknown before he fights them. This keeps him sharp and adaptable to each fighter no matter what the style.
3. We WILL get video of his ameture San Shou fights for web posting for the school and WC in general.

I know that San Shou is not taken seriously by MMA fighters because they stop the fight when a fighter is taken to the ground. Although takedowns are legal and award points. The reason San Shou does this is so they are NOT regulated by the Boxing Commission.
Thus, he doesn't need a boxing liscence. I don't need a liscence to be his corner man, etc. Plus, more is allowed on a striking attacks. If he does well in San Shou he may get invited to paid competition.

As for the ring. We would love to get involved with a couple of cage matches, but on a pro circuit. Maybe start off at the smaller, less payed fights that's fine. But we just want to start his fight record in MMA pro because it seems that they make you "start over" with your fight card anyway when you have a ameture fight card already.

Hubbie is an older man by far on these fighters, and we wish to get through asap. He doesn't have the years to devote to ameture fighting.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be a mistake IMO to go straight into professional MMA fighting, nearly all fighters I know have gone through the sm, semi then pro route, some who've been kickboxers will go straight into semi pro as they are used to headshots and it's difficult for them NOt to hit the head.
It's such a shame we are on opposite sides of the Pond as I could recommend many shows etc for you BUT I'm afraid the advice would stilll be the same, start with amateur or semi pro. Very few genuine promoters would match you with no MMA fight experience at least not shows you'd want to fight on.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
contact that local ameture fight promoter in your area.
get him to take a look at your husband.
If your husban shows enoughpromise I am sure something can be set up for some matches

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very few genuine promoters would match you with no MMA fight experience at least not shows you'd want to fight on.

What do you mean, shows he'd not want to fight in?
Would those be low paying shows or fights?
I'm not sure what you mean, but we're going to wait until he's all trained up first.

He's had much experience taking head shots, and being hit hard. (I'm hoping he won't get hit that hard in the head, of course! lol!)
He's pretty tough, he's military.

We've still got three more months of hard training, and I was just wondering how long it may take to get a fight in the works.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would differently give the promoter a call and I am PM'ing you a number for another one, pkease tell them I sent you.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno... Try it out and learn the hard way?

Another thing: San Shou is pretty respected in MMA. If your hubby doesn't want to go to the ground, may I suggest training in takedown defense?

I don't think three months is enough. Nor is military training a factor in "toughness" in many cases. He might be SF or something, and still might have a glass jaw.

But that's besides the point.

It all boils down to the questions he asks himself: Am I ready? Or are the people around me just telling me I'm ready for a fight? Is my experience enough in the event I realize my strikes aren't doing anything? What if the guy takes me down? What kind of promoter pits an independent with a seasoned MMA fighter?

Here's one: Am I a fighter?

If he's asking those questions, then maybe he should train a little longer in different ranges outside his comfort bubble.

Personally, I think he should cover his bases.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would differently give the promoter a call and I am PM'ing you a number for another one, pkease tell them I sent you.

I'd really appreciate that, and thank you! We will definately tell them he was refered by you.
Realize now, we've got a time table for training for competition, and he won't fight until three months of conditioning. Then, he'll be ready to give it a go.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean, shows he'd not want to fight in?
Would those be low paying shows or fights?
I'm not sure what you mean, but we're going to wait until he's all trained up first.

He's had much experience taking head shots, and being hit hard. (I'm hoping he won't get hit that hard in the head, of course! lol!)
He's pretty tough, he's military.

We've still got three more months of hard training, and I was just wondering how long it may take to get a fight in the works.

By shows he wouldn't want to go in I mean ones that will match him without having any experience against someone who wants a win on their record basically an unscrupulous promoter, they tend to be the ones that will either not pay even expenses or will promise you a purse then say they'll give it to you later.
he won't get hit as hard as in boxing, boxers wrap their hands and have bigger gloves so they are able to hard much harder than MMA fighters. One reason we don't have the brain/head injuries boxing does.
A friend of mine who's a pro fighter here came from a CMA background, he's a lovely guy but is also a lesson in choosing your opponents! he has a lot of losses on his record simply because he's chosen wrongly. I'd stongly suggest that you get a manager or a good coach you can trust who will hand pick your husbands fights. If you are going to be picking them yourself read up and find out as much about the opponent before accepting the match. See if you can speak to their previous opponets. Find videos of them so you can plan tactics, the most important part of the fight is the preparation, in many ways the fight is the easy bit. You are not just training for a fight you are training to fight a specific person. You will have to consider weight as well, day before or day of weight in? will he cut weight?

Here's the fighter Sami Berik I mentioned's website, his brother is a website designer so it's professional which helps Sami 'sell' himself and get sponsorship which is something you could think about, it helps with finances even if they only provide kit. Becoming known means that promoters ask for him, he's a very entertaining as well as skilful fighter which is something else that promoters look for.

http://www.samiberik.com/hunsite.html

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like we really need to make sure we get an honest promoter. I'd hate to think of Hubbie getting ripped off after fighting and not getting paid.

As for the fighters and their background, he'll be able to adapt. It is definately advantageous to know about an opponent and their style of fighting and record and all, and we'll check all that out when the time comes. For now, I'm trying to collect the correct information and contacts for getting him in the ring, and getting paid too I'm afraid.

I'm not really interested in desperate fighters and such, that would basically put him and my husband on even ground. He's wanting to fight, make money 'cause we need it badly, and he's a "hungry" fighter. So actually, it's my hubbie that most people won't want to fight. Being a 'nobody" and all, no record, no history, etc..

I've got a long time left to research the in's and outs before he fights. But, I found out that you need a certified cornerman, and cutman, right?
Would it be better if we got the certification straight from the boxing commission or will a promoter help provide cornermen, and such?
He's got a doctor that wants to be his cutman already, the hard part would be finding the right cornerman.
Not very many people will understand the way he's going to fight, and can see the opposing fighters, fight patterns.

Oh, still hoping for that PM on the promoter. And wondering what would he/she like to see on hubbie? Video of him fighting, records, meeting in person, I would think. Any specific info they may need and what liscense's do we need to get in the ring?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you need an honest promoter but your husband won't be just fighting on one promotion if he is to make a career out of fighting.
You need a good coach/trainer, a fighters job is to fight, the trainer/coachs job is to get him fighters. It's not about adapting if you are to be professional, you chose your opponents, you turn down the ones that you don't want, you don't fight just anyone. You plan your career.
I'm not being down on you but think there's a lot you need to look into first. I would be very glad to help and I will get you and give you as much advice as you want from pro fighters and anything I can do.
If you are a fighter you have to serve an 'apprenticeship' first, learning the trade in the ring (as boxers do) you take opponents the same status as you and build up a record. You start becoming known on the circuit and then you will start to be offered more fights, some you take, some you don't.
Weight is very important and you have to think about it now not nearer the fight, the weight of the other guy is important so you need to know what he's like, whether he will actually fight heavier than his weigh in weight.
One thing I can't help on is the rules for certification of corners etc, we have no ruling body hence no certification etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Try here for advice on how to start, there's several pro fighters on here who will answer your questions including some who've fought in the States.
Cagewarriors also have a promotion in the States so you may well get some information off them but I know they will only accept pro fighters with a proven record but it's something to work up to. Two of the mods are pro international fighters. Smiler ( Gary Turner) and Marc Goddard, the other Kainer is the promoter of CW. Kainer (Ian Dean) does the match making for CW here and is a mine of information, email him and tell him you were talking to me, he will help all he can with advice. As I said it's such a shame you are not over here, I could offer you a fight in December!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fighting is not the route to take if you need money:

http://blogs.chron.com/fighting/2008/07/ufc_silva_vs_irvin_fighterpayo.html

This is the UFC, top of the food chain in North America. Yet some of the fighters only pull a couple thousand a fight. Now take into account that the fighter doesn't actually get that full amount as they have expenses involved.

But keep in mind, even guys in the UFC are not neccessarily earning enough to live off of and still need to maintain full time jobs.

Starting out, he'll be making a lot less then that, and risks getting injured and being off work for a while.

If he's gonna fight, he should do it because he loves it, not for the money. It won't work. And trying to jump straight to pro will have him fighting people with more experience then him right off the start.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, hubbie loves to fight! We just want to make sure when he does it will be worth the while.

I would and do really appreaciate your help and advice Tez! We're not sure if he's really wanting a long career in fighting as much as maybe training fighters in the long run. He does love to compete. I think this would be perfect for him.

Yet, if the MMA arena takes too long, he may get a shot at pro in San Shou this October. We do have a goal oriented time table for doing this. When he goes to compete in San Shou in October, he'll be ready to fight cage, if we can find a paying fight.

The San Shou fight is so promoters can see new fighters and get them a paying gig, and it doesn't pay. Honestly, that's about all we're willing to do for free. If there is a way you "try out" for a competition in MMA, that would be fine too. I'm not saying that his first fight should be big bucks, but he wants it on pro level. And he is willing to work his way up in the MMA circuit from the bottom. But, he wants IN the MMA circuit when he fights the first time.

As for a trainer or manager. We honestly wouldn't know where to start to look for someone in that category. And we cannot afford them right now, hence the need to be paid for the fight. If he wins, we can invest the winning money to pay for personal trainers, diatitions, coaches, etc. See, what I mean?
He was wanting to use this one trainer that trains guys specifically for MMA doing weights and workouts. But, he's $100.00 an hour!
Plus, hubbie has a minor in sports physiology, a major in business management, played college football, football for the marine corps, was in force recon in the marine corps as a MCMAP instructor for years, he's pretty well versed when it comes to conditioning, training, weight lifting and such.

As for the style of fighting he's going to be using. There is no coach we could pay to help him in the ring that's on the circuit now. But, we do need big guys for him to spar.

Oh, as for him being willing to cut weight. No. He'll compete in Heavyweight class, and will NOT cut weight for a smaller weight class fight. This is EXTREMELY unhealthy for a fighter to drastically cut weight just before a fight, and puts that fighter at a severe disadvantage. (dehydration, etc.)
Unless, he's got a healthy amount of time to cut weight for the fight. (a couple of months, depending on how much he needs to lose).

Latest Discussions