fighting up

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to a tournament tomorrow, and my instructor said he might have me fight in the open divison (18-29 yr olds) instead of my regular (15-17 yr old) division. (I'm 17, gonna turn 18 late in this year.)

I don't see the point to this.

I will do what he tells me, because I just want to fight, but I dont see them being easier or harder than the girls my age. It's intermediate rank either way, so they would have been training about the same amount of time, or shorter, than people in my usual divison. (What I mean is, a 29 year old woman could get to green belt faster than a 15 year old - the 15 year old might have started at 7 whereas the 29 year old may have started at 27. I don't see how this could present more of a challenge, which was the vibes I was getting - more of a challenge)

Can anyone think of any reasons why he might want to do this - move me up I mean?

Also, he said he would decide tomorrow. Is there something he will look at while there that will sway him one way or the other?

I don't understand.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you will do fine either way. However, I think your instructor is COMPLIMENTING you in consider moving you up to adult division. My advice is to not quarrel with his decision or try to sway it either way and take whichever he chooses with grace.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sam said:
I will do what he tells me, because I just want to fight, but I dont see them being easier or harder than the girls my age. It's intermediate rank either way, so they would have been training about the same amount of time, or shorter, than people in my usual divison. (What I mean is, a 29 year old woman could get to green belt faster than a 15 year old - the 15 year old might have started at 7 whereas the 29 year old may have started at 27. I don't see how this could present more of a challenge, which was the vibes I was getting - more of a challenge)

Adults tend to be stronger, and they're more likely to think.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are confident in your skills sure, move on up, its not that big a deal, but if not then be very careful...Be sure to tell your instructor of your doubts...

The tournaments I've been to don't allow minors to move up because of insurence purposes, so it may not even be legal.

Either way....Good Luck

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam,

If you don't see the point in fighting in the adult division, then don't do it. When it comes down to it, it's your choice to make. I know there is the issue of loyality to your instructor, but it is you doing the fighting, not your instructor.

HKF

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam as being an instructor we tend to bring people up so they will have competition instead of breezing thought here division, I would take this as a compliment and give it a shot. You must have the talent or your instructor would not put you there .
Terry

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible you kick the snot out of all the other girls in your class and he feels it would be safer for everyone if you fought adults since you're strong/aggressive/good?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you were looking to clean up. Now you have a challenge on your hands. Tee hee... I mean tournaments are about learning and its probably high time you learned how to compete in the adult division. Your instructor seems to think so. Consider this advanced placement.
Sean

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The competitions I got to are rather small compared to most, and the womens divison is well, light with compeditors...so I was wondering, is the competition fierce at your tourny's?

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sin said:
The competitions I got to are rather small compared to most, and the womens divison is well, light with compeditors...so I was wondering, is the competition fierce at your tourny's?

I wouldnt know. I went to a few tourneys last year and they were very small. Then that circut disbanded and we have switched. Considering they were so small that year that they disbanded, I assume that there were usually more at tournaments. Then this tournament apparently was smaller than most because it was not rated for points.

There were 4 of us for 15-17, which I did end up fighting in, because there was NO one intermediate 19-29 or 18-34 or whatever it was.

There was one girl from my school and two other girls I did not know. Sara, the girl from my school, won against Barbie (pink gear) 5-0. I won against Team Respect (what her gi said) 4-2. Then Team Respect fought barbie for 3rd and 4th, Team Respect won 5-0. So Barbie had 4th place and Team Respect had 3rd.

Then Sara, a friendly rival of my school, and I, fought. The judges kept yelling at us because we were talking and laughing as we fought. Not a conversation per se, but things like, good kick, good punch, oh, sorry, that was low. The judges were getting mad because we didn't need them really. We weren't trying to make the centre judge mad, it was just natural. So then the center was like you two need to stop complimenting each other! And then we started laughing and she told us to stop laughing but its really hard not to laugh when someone is telling you not to.

Anyway, I ended up winning in overtime, but there was a bad call, she sidekicked me and I backfisted her head at the same time, she should have gotten two points for the kick, or at least call it a clash, but I got the point.

I'll tell you one thing though, her sidekick to my ribs hurt me a hell of a lot more than my backfist did to her.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Could he be trying to cover more divisions by moving you up? Is there someone else fighting in your group and not in the older group?

I think you should take it as a compliment. He could have very well decided that you're ready and he wants you to push it.

If you don't see the point in fighting in the adult division, then don't do it. When it comes down to it, it's your choice to make. I know there is the issue of loyality to your instructor, but it is you doing the fighting, not your instructor.

I can't even imagine the look on my instructor's face if I said "no, I'm not going to do it". Then again, I couldn't imagine saying no in the first place.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have fought up before...but most of the time in a higher rank instead of age...older girls think more where younger girls have speed...it all depends on your fighting style

Also, if this is a tourny meant for bringing you to another comp, where you have to gain points over the year, it may be required that you fight up because you will turn 18 within the year...look it up

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry one bit about fighting in an older division, especially in the kyu (under black belt) ranks.

For someone in the under black-belt women's division, the leap from 15-17 to the open division isn't as big as it would be in the men's division. Girls have already completed pretty much all of their growth and development by that time, since they generally hit puberty a year or two before their male counterparts. The main determinant here is going to be more of experience.

Take it as a compliment, since your instructor isn't holding you back.

Sam said:
So then the center was like you two need to stop complimenting each other! And then we started laughing and she told us to stop laughing but its really hard not to laugh when someone is telling you not to.

I don't know what kind of tournament you will be going to next, but bascially, in the more traditional tournaments, competitors aren't supposed to even talk to each other in the ring during a match. Do keep that in mind, if you are going to fight in such a tournament.

Anyway, I ended up winning in overtime, but there was a bad call, she sidekicked me and I backfisted her head at the same time, she should have gotten two points for the kick, or at least call it a clash, but I got the point.

It happens. It all depends on what the judges / referee sees. Sometimes, you'll get the short end of the stick, and other times, your opponent gets shafted. It all balances out, though.

Good luck with your next tournament!

Latest Discussions