Fighters twist while Elite XC dithers

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-exc010909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Patience is starting to wear thin among some of the country’s top mixed martial arts fighters, whose futures have remained in limbo since Elite XC closed its doors in late October.

This has left approximately 80 fighters, who were under contract, waiting. The biggest names include (* removed by poster *), Gina Carano, Frank Shamrock, Nick Diaz, Eddie Alvarez, Scott Smith and champions Jake Shields (welterweight), Robbie Lawler (middleweight), Wilson Reis (featherweight) and Antonio Silva (heavyweight).

What are the thoughts on this company and their prospect for the future?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Rich I think they are caput.

The question is if the fighter's are now free to sign other deals.
I think in this situation it is extremely unfair to the fighter's as they
in general only have a limited time to make money in this sport.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Rich I think they are caput.

The question is if the fighter's are now free to sign other deals.
I think in this situation it is extremely unfair to the fighter's as they
in general only have a limited time to make money in this sport.

That was my thought as well.

If someone keeps the company active for tax reasons and this means those that signed contracts cannot sign with others, until they either fight or the company is out of business, they could be in limbo for a while, even if they go to court as a group.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons wrote:
“What are the thoughts on this company and their prospect for the future?”

I think that the controversy over the Kimbo fight sank the companies future fight legitimacy. They still have contracts with fighters and have some kind of contract with CBS, but CBS has very deep pockets and can keep projects shelved forever if they wish. Investors are out their investments but might be able to claim some of the losses and most of the vendors will also be out of money owed but will also be able to file some losses as bad debt, they may be able to file liens against the company but I doubt they will see much for the trouble until and if the company gets some cash or sells off or is forced to sell off their assets.

Quotes from the article linked in the OP
“Walker also questioned whether fighter contracts would even be assignable in a sale. Originally, Elite XC was going to auction off the contracts individually as a way of raising some money for the companies it owed money to, but agents representing 60 of the 80 fighters worked together in getting the auction canceled.”

“A few with non-exclusive contracts have been able to pick up individual fights, but none have been able to negotiate with major companies who aren’t willing to risk a tampering lawsuit, or aren’t willing to sign fighters for single-fight deals.”

I feel bad for the fighters but they and their contracts are company assets and as with all business contracts you have to go into them with your eyes open. I am sure that many fighters and agents are now looking at their contracts and ways of protecting themselves. Exclusivity is common in many types of contracts but perhaps the court system might allow some kind of contract nullification in this case but I doubt it.

I think that the fighters will have to live by the terms of the contracts that they signed, stay motivated to train hard and to look at staying in the fight game by being part of fight camps or color/technical commentary perhaps working for the other promotions in some manner other than fighters to at least bring in a living wage until they can again fight. They will also have to find some manner to stay in the fans view. They will most likely have to get new representation (both agents and legal teams) as apparently the current batch is not doing a well job for them.

I have had to live with bad contracts in my past and will likely have to live with poor decisions in my future, but if you learn from them, learn how to adapt and survive in spite of them it makes you wiser and stronger in any future and present business decisions. The fighters are young and their lives are not over even if they never get to fight for pay again or reach whatever potential they may have had in that game. One thing is for certain, whatever future contract negotiations that they enter into they will be looking at many more ‘what if’s’.

Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions