Fidel Finally Gives It Away

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, one of America's great satans, Fidel Castro, retired from the presidency of Cuba today after some fifty years in power. The US government said that economic sanctions would not be lifted.

Is Cuba going to have any political turmoil?
Is there an obvious successor or will they have elections?

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
I find it laughable that the US would continue it's sanctions all these years and criminalize visitation, while other nations such as Canada and Mexico allow free travel.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My understanding is that Fidel's Brother is taking control down there now, and there will be little if any change.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Raul has been waiting in the wings for a very long time now, there will be no doubts and no turmoil as to the succession. Nor, in all likelihood, will Fidel's actual power decrease in the slightest.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wonder how things would be had the Bay of Pigs mission not been aborted? I will say this -- they can have that system of government all they want, and my part, too. It was said on the radio this morning that the people cannot have internet access in their homes. That is illegal in Cuba. Unbelievable.

It makes me very happy to not have to live there! Perhaps there will someday be a great coup? Or perhaps the citizens there prefer to not have internet access in their homes?

I have heard that Cubans go to school for free, even through University if they wish.

I am with Empty Hands. Fidel's brother will now take over, but what ever Fidel says, still goes!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wonder how things would be had the Bay of Pigs mission not been aborted?

Aborted? Pretty sure "failed miserably" or "cut loses and ran" are more appropriate descriptions of what happened there. The US didn't want to actually commit itself, just the exiles, who they expected the locals would welcome and join. They didn't and the invading army got slaughtered, the US not wanting to get involved "directly" withdrew it's support forces.

It was said on the radio this morning that the people cannot have internet access in their homes. That is illegal in Cuba. Unbelievable.

Sort of, they can't access the internet over low cost government phone lines, same effect. But with the amount of anti-Cuba propaganda they have had to deal with coming out of western sources over the past 50 years, it's really not surprising.

A free press and free speech are things we have come to take for granted, but government still has some control over the press, and even speech. We, in the west, also have the loudest voice in international media and on the internet, so it is a different situation. If the Communist movement still had the power it did in the McCarthy era, there might still be censorship measures in place against it in the US.

Not saying it's right, but given the circumstances it may be necessary for them.

I have heard that Cubans go to school for free, even through University if they wish.

Yup, also got damn good universal health care.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If he is anything like his big brother about 5 more years, Fidel is 81 going on 82 in August
Heh and they say Cigar Smoking is bad for you. Maybe the exception is with Cuban cigars eh? But then again comedian George Burns lived to be 101 (I think) and he smoked cigars every day (outlived several of his doctors too).

There are going to be anti-communist in Cuba who will patiently wait for the right moment to stage a coup and free Cuba. It's inevitable. A people can only put up with a particular government's **** for so long.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Heh and they say Cigar Smoking is bad for you. Maybe the exception is with Cuban cigars eh? But then again comedian George Burns lived to be 101 (I think) and he smoked cigars every day (outlived several of his doctors too).

Hmmmm you make a good argument for taking up Cigar smoking, live long and prosper :D

Hank Colado

White Belt
Reaction score
Fidel Castro set himself a novel key performance indicator. He told CBS anchorman Edward Murrow: "When we have fulfilled our promise of good government, I will cut my beard." To that extent at least, he has been a man of his word. Communism has been an abject failure wherever it has been tried, and Cuba is no exception. It's high time that repressive, murderous, totalitarian dictatorship goes to the trash heap of history.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When Fidel first took power in Cuba it was Raul who was his heavy hitter. I truly hope that with the passage of time Raul has mellowed. Where Fidel was very charismatic Raul could put you to sleep saying "Hola, como estas?" Lacking that charisma he utilized brutality. I don't think Raul will last more than another five or so years either. This would be a great opportunity for the US to reach out to the Cuban government at least in preparation for some easment of the embargo between now and the time when Raul steps down. And to think, if we'd only managed to get Fidel on a major league baseball team back in the 50s none of this would have happened.:wink:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guess the corpse was starting to reek too badly to play Weekend At Fidel's anymore.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
eh hes going to pass his title to his brother. i think its inevitable.