Fence/shell/pike

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A short vid showing use of the fence/shell/pike progression for self defense and control. The fence is a very useful tool in allowing other techniques to be set up, and for not allowing the opponent a chance to surprise you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ironically sets you up to be double legged. Because your hands are so high.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am just sitting here imagining the mean things I could do to the hands and arms, of somebody trying to stop me in that manner. The shell is OK, but your pre-shell stance is crazy.

OP
M

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's very effective actually. Remember that in the fence, I'm ready for you. It's much better than most kenpo techniques that begin with the hands down. I also teach sprawl/underhooks off of the fence, so no, you're not going to double leg someone easily off of that. Fence is based off of assumption that most street encounters will involve right-handed opponent swinging multiple haymakers.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice job, Matt.

OP
M

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thnak you Buka. Drop bear, I like overhooks with sprawl, too, but I find that underhooks work better to keep it standing. BJ Penn's book changed my mind in that regard. Works well.

OP
M

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the attempt. Sometimes I just sprawl on their head or shoulders, to flatten them out. If they get in deep, and there's nothing behind me, I might use over/under or double overs. If I can catch them early, or they push me into something, then I would try to get double unders, and stand up. But I like using underhooks off the sprawl more and more lately. It's not going to work all the time, every time, but it's pretty effective. You see a lot of guys in the UFC use it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's very effective actually. Remember that in the fence, I'm ready for you. It's much better than most kenpo techniques that begin with the hands down. I also teach sprawl/underhooks off of the fence, so no, you're not going to double leg someone easily off of that. Fence is based off of assumption that most street encounters will involve right-handed opponent swinging multiple haymakers.
I must take issue that Hands Out is better than Hands at your side. As an attacker throwing a round-house kick at a hands down person, I must move a full two feet closer to make contact. Beat that. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thnak you Buka. Drop bear, I like overhooks with sprawl, too, but I find that underhooks work better to keep it standing. BJ Penn's book changed my mind in that regard. Works well.

Cross face to keep it standing. I have a wrestler coming to stay with me today I will ask if there is any chance you can beat a guy to underhooks like that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. My hands are always up etc. Hands down is just suicide as far as I see it, and it is not just from a boxing stance :)

Hands up is good. The issue with extending them that far forwards in that it creates a bit of gap between your hands and your head and your arms themselves become targets. (An actual opportunity to use limb destruction where normally you may not get that)

As your hands move away from your body they loose considerable strength. Hence the concept of tyrannosaurus arms.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. My hands are always up etc. Hands down is just suicide as far as I see it, and it is not just from a boxing stance :)
Kenpo has starting point, hands down, because of the assumption you really were just minding your own business, and, now, what do you do? Other than that, hands up rocks, but hands down beats hands out, hands down. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As your hands move away from your body they loose considerable strength. Hence the concept of tyrannosaurus arms.

Then somewhat misquoted :) The hands themselves don't lose power. They are just an instrument, used wisely, or not :)

Latest Discussions