Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Redesigned the page for a less confusing display and to make it easier for you to drill in and find what you're looking for.
Let me know what you think.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those are based on 'keyword tags'. I'll be streamlining that section in a bit. There's a side menu that'll have the variations, etc.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont need to have taken the Course I did in Webpage Design to spot one thing, which seems a bit...
*Why is there a Green Camo Backdrop, with a Blue and Grey design page? It stands out quite alot to Me :)
Just... Go with the Blue and Grey. It works really well, apart from how distinctly different the Camo is.
*The Navigation Bar at the top (Home, Bladed Weapons, Business, etc) could use a bit of refinement, but I have no doubt this is a redundant statement thats either been made before, or thats already slivered across Your mind.
*Theres a bit of empty space at the bottom, which could be filled with a Banner.
*Now the tiniest blimey nit picky thing. The thing right up the top (Home, About, Etc) could do with being... Less unbalancingly...?

Im just inputting, of course. I think it looks good, all things considered. The whole right hand side of the Page, I think is perfect. But You asked how it could be better!
:drinkbeer

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both top and side menus have both headings.
For that matter, does there need to be two Menus? The Right one does the job swimmingly. The top bar could be re appropriated.

Also, one other thing: On the Right Hand Menu, the Unselected Category (Not, as in from the Categories List. As in, Categories - Posts - etc) Boxes, in being unjoined, look a bit wierd. If they were connected to the grey box below them, it might be better? As in, making the small grey boxes connect vertically to the Box around the Navigation area, by means of enlarging.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
What can we do to make it better?

Layout looks fine but the colors are harsh, in particular the high contrast blue on black and the striped header bars... try a more complimentary and subdued color scheme and if you want to keep the striped headers subdue them with some blur and/or mute them a bit with a partially transparent gray overlay... they shouldn't POP quite so bad. The content background could be a lighter gray if you're sticking with the bright white font so there's a little less contrast between them, easier on the eyes.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both top and side menus have both headings.

Did some consolidation.

For that matter, does there need to be two Menus? The Right one does the job swimmingly. The top bar could be re appropriated.

Also, one other thing: On the Right Hand Menu, the Unselected Category (Not, as in from the Categories List. As in, Categories - Posts - etc) Boxes, in being unjoined, look a bit wierd. If they were connected to the grey box below them, it might be better? As in, making the small grey boxes connect vertically to the Box around the Navigation area, by means of enlarging.

I like the idea of 1 across the top with some 'main' links, with the side being a more extensive menu. Not sold on it mind you, but I've got some control over what goes where.

Not sure what you mean by 'weird'.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Layout looks fine but the colors are harsh, in particular the high contrast blue on black and the striped header bars... try a more complimentary and subdued color scheme and if you want to keep the striped headers subdue them with some blur and/or mute them a bit with a partially transparent gray overlay... they shouldn't POP quite so bad. The content background could be a lighter gray if you're sticking with the bright white font so there's a little less contrast between them, easier on the eyes.

Working with template defaults at the moment. I tried a different one now, let me know if that's better.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did some consolidation.

I like the idea of 1 across the top with some 'main' links, with the side being a more extensive menu. Not sold on it mind you, but I've got some control over what goes where.

Not sure what you mean by 'weird'.
Re-reading that, Weird is a bit of a weird way to put it. The best way I can put it is, that when You select one of them, it becomes joined to the Box below it. But to Me at least, the rest then look a bit off, by being unconnected. That may just be Me, and may overall be nothing. But for whatever reason, the thin blue line running under the unselected ones stands out.

EDIT: And now that its Brown, Im seeing it more. Again, this may be entirely Me.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont need to have taken the Course I did in Webpage Design to spot one thing, which seems a bit...
*Why is there a Green Camo Backdrop, with a Blue and Grey design page? It stands out quite alot to Me :)
Just... Go with the Blue and Grey. It works really well, apart from how distinctly different the Camo is.
*The Navigation Bar at the top (Home, Bladed Weapons, Business, etc) could use a bit of refinement, but I have no doubt this is a redundant statement thats either been made before, or thats already slivered across Your mind.
*Theres a bit of empty space at the bottom, which could be filled with a Banner.
*Now the tiniest blimey nit picky thing. The thing right up the top (Home, About, Etc) could do with being... Less unbalancingly...?

Im just inputting, of course. I think it looks good, all things considered. The whole right hand side of the Page, I think is perfect. But You asked how it could be better!
:drinkbeer

Camo's a place holder. Once I'm more 'set' on other things I'll do up a proper masthead.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Re-reading that, Weird is a bit of a weird way to put it. The best way I can put it is, that when You select one of them, it becomes joined to the Box below it. But to Me at least, the rest then look a bit off, by being unconnected. That may just be Me, and may overall be nothing. But for whatever reason, the thin blue line running under the unselected ones stands out.

EDIT: And now that its Brown, Im seeing it more. Again, this may be entirely Me.

New scheme is brown. Looked a bit less jarring than the striped blue. I might have to dig in the CSS a bit to tweak.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
New scheme is brown. Looked a bit less jarring than the striped blue. I might have to dig in the CSS a bit to tweak.
And it actually makes the Camo look good.
I for one like it more than the Blue aesthetically, though the Blue might be more in tone with the Site having a Blue Theme.And a Brown MA theme Magazine might be unusual. Which may be good or bad! Ill reserve judgement on the themes, though, because the Brown is also much nicer to look at, despite the afore mentioned. Perhaps when its tweaked, Itll be overally better.

I was going to say something about the Lime text, but after some deep thought, I cant really think of any better option for it. So ill just say that the Blue had the advantage of having better consistency (Theres probably a better word) amongst the text colors.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the layout as it presently is... but....

Well....

The thing is.... I'm trying to be delicate here..... but....

How are you choosing the articles/features? Without trying to cause too much of an issue, there are some real standouts in terms of simply bad information and less-then-legit groups. The article on the katana is simply terrible, and would need to be completely rewritten rather than just corrected, and "Nindo Ryu Jujutsu"? Uh.... wow. And I have no idea what Al Case is on about three quarters of the time... and the rest of the time, he's just wrong.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a quick drive by thumbs up for the effort on the Magazine, Cap'n Bob. I have very occasionally looked at it over the past years but with articles now being linked to the 'main' forum page it is much more visible - and the first thing that caught my attention? Enter the Dojo of course :D.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the layout as it presently is... but....

Well....

The thing is.... I'm trying to be delicate here..... but....

How are you choosing the articles/features? Without trying to cause too much of an issue, there are some real standouts in terms of simply bad information and less-then-legit groups. The article on the katana is simply terrible, and would need to be completely rewritten rather than just corrected, and "Nindo Ryu Jujutsu"? Uh.... wow. And I have no idea what Al Case is on about three quarters of the time... and the rest of the time, he's just wrong.

Absent an encyclopedic knowledge of the arts, and people stepping up and contributing, I go hunting, look for things that look good and include them. I've combed through MT & KT for videos that got a lot of positive response. In a few cases it's more 'entertainment value' than 'martial value' (ie Enter the Dojo and Ask a Ninja). Chuck Johnson's stepped up to contribute videos and articles. Joe Rebelo & Doc Chapel have been a long time supporter of MT, and while a bit controversial to some, neither have ever done me or MT wrong. If those inclusions get people talking, it's all good. I have a few others who said they would, but so far haven't.

Stuff prior to the relaunch was a simple "what did I post on MT in the zine section, copy/paste/next". With the relaunch, and more specifically April, I'm trying to schedule a minimum of 15 videos/articles a month, which will cover the range of the arts. A couple interviews, a couple techniques, some history, some laughs, a little build your school.

For anyone who wants to contribute, I still have room for more people.