Federationless

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While this has been a long time coming, the day of reckoning finally arrived on Friday. Last December, my former GM dismissed our head kumdo instructor, Master Choi, a 6th dan volunteer instructor, due to what could be termed creative differences.

On Friday, my former GM and I ended our lengthy association at his initiative. We parted ways respectfully; ultimately, he does not like that I and a former instructor from the school are still friends. There is more to the story, but that is the bare essentials and all that I am willing to share online.

I still hold my former GM in fond regard, so I am not venting about it; the disposition is what it is and I learned a great deal while attending his school and had some very, very enjoyable years. The end result is that I am now independent with regards to kumdo. Essentially, he was too, having created his own local federation.

I have maintained my contact with Master Choi, who was my primary instructor while I was at KMA, and will continue to do so now that I have parted ways.

I have spent the past two years refining my own curriculum with my students and at this point, I'm pretty much going in a different direction from that of GM Kim anyway. Should be a fun road ahead.

Daniel

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're an intelligent person that cares deeply about your students and your art. While no one knows what the future will bring, I suspect you'll find several interesting choices on your journey, and I bet you'll be able to make something good out of whatever path you choose.

All the best for whatever comes next! :asian:

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was dismissed by my instructor years ago over what could optimistically be called "philosophical differences." It's been hard to lose the person I looked to so long for guidance. I hope it goes well for you. It seems like you have a positive attitude and a bright future ahead of you. Good luck.

-Rob

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe that everything happens for a reason. It is good that you can remain positive and see the good in both the past training/relationships and look forward to the training and relationships of the future. Sometimes the cutting of bonds is not the parting of a safety net but rather the removal of constraints. As you have already discovered in the last couple of years of refinements, the journey always continues.

Good luck and good training
Brian King

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes the cutting of bonds is not the parting of a safety net but rather the removal of constraints. As you have already discovered in the last couple of years of refinements, the journey always continues.
Most definitely.

Daniel

Latest Discussions