Fear

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you overcome fear of some aspect of your training...

For example, if you fear falling, how do you get over that so you can practice better Ukemi? Or if you fear getting hit, how do you overcome that so you can react properly to an attack?

I have this thing about hardfalls, and I cant seem to bring myself to do them... I can roll, and get thrown, etc.. but just falling??? NO WAY... and I am TRYING to get past it... but its not working...

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Get aggressive. Remember, you're not learning to fall, you're learning to LAND! So kind of throw yourself at the floor with a bit of a Kiai. This changes the 'helpless falling out of control waiting for the impact' feeling to one of aggression, which is easier to take. Works for me.

A

Astra

I'd ask someone to help me. If I'm afraid of possible pain, I'd just let someone clobber me, throw me, etc. It's not that bad :)

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the fall. If you're afraid of backwards breakfass from a height, try falling off the back of someone rolled up in a stone. Then all fours. Then in a leapfrog position. This progression can take as long as you like.

There are other methods of learning to fall, but generally the most important thing is to just relax. Once you've fallen a few times you'll see that there's no need to fear falling and it will become easy; something you don't even need to think about doing after a while.

K

KanoLives

Originally posted by Aegis
Once you've fallen a few times you'll see that there's no need to fear falling and it will become easy; something you don't even need to think about doing after a while.

I agree with this. Don't think, just do.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like everybody else who has already posted, my advice is to start off slow and gradually build up to what you feel comfortable. You mentioned that you have no problem with getting thrown, but then you mention just falling, and that is where the fear lies. To me, its really no different. When you are being throw by someone else, THEY are controlling your fall, because they are the ones doing the throwing. Start off with a low height and then gradually build up. Its not going to happen overnight, but with time, you'll overcome the fear before you know it!

Good Luck!

MJS

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get aggressive. Remember, you're not learning to fall, you're learning to LAND! So kind of throw yourself at the floor with a bit of a Kiai. This changes the 'helpless falling out of control waiting for the impact' feeling to one of aggression, which is easier to take. Works for me.

That's exactly the way I see it. There is a point a split second before impact where the slap out should hit a create a wave of energy coming back at you from the floor. The force of hitting the floor can be greatly negated by the force of the slap out. That's the mechanics of it and doesn't fix the psychological side of it... however, when working the falls it helps me to visualize the corresponding forces as I fall and that visualization always helps to take my mind off of the thump. Eventually, the falls will become second nature. I'm not ready for the more dynamic falls that some of the guys in class are doing but I have gotten comfortable enough to be falling from a much greater height than when I first began training. Time, repetition and seeing the floor as just another attacker to be beaten will see you through.

J

Joe

Had the same problem landing on my back. Tried Gary's Agressive aproach and it worked for me always thought I was pretty intense when training . I guess I could always continue to step up w/conditioning. Thanks :asian: