Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just eternal thralldom to Apple...

It doesn't hurt much. Plus the black shirt, blue jean uniform is comfy. ;)

Seriously though, make sure to keep your system be it Windows, Mac or Linux up to date.
Regularly run your OS's updater, so the regular security patches can be installed.
Only install software from trusted sources, meaning if you visit a website and it says "install this patch", don't. Use the updater which will fetch it from a trusted source.
Also run a good anti virus and anti malware suite.
PC VIPRE or Trend Micro are my suggestions
Mac Avast or Sophos are my suggestions. (I run Sophos)

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We have Macs at home.

For Windows, I like Microsoft Security Essentials. It's pretty fast, and doesn't use a lot of resources. It automatically updates alongside your patches. It looks for viruses and other malware. It's free.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We have Macs at home.

For Windows, I like Microsoft Security Essentials. It's pretty fast, and doesn't use a lot of resources. It automatically updates alongside your patches. It looks for viruses and other malware. It's free.

Which also means it is out there for the black hats to get easily, look for holes in and exploit

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Which also means it is out there for the black hats to get easily, look for holes in and exploit

You're kidding yourself if you think that any commercially available virus scanner isn't thoroughly examined by black hats. Obscurity isn't security.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You're kidding yourself if you think that any commercially available virus scanner isn't thoroughly examined by black hats. Obscurity isn't security.

I did not say that, I work in enterprise security and I would never say that.

What I am saying is that anything and everything Microsoft is check big-time and likely more than most. It is not that Macs are safer than PCs, because they are not, it is because they are not big in enterprise and not targeted as much. As far as commercial virus scanners go I don't deal with home versions so I would not know, I know there is one, rather popular one, out there that the last time I dealt with it I was pretty sure it would keep your computer safe because it locked everything down and pretty much even the user couldn't go anywhere :D. I deal mainly with enterprise solutions/versions but I know ALL Microsoft stuff is full of holes, constantly tested and scanned and updated rather regularly and on occasions those updates cause issues and need to be patched as well.

But as far a browsers go, even though IE is constantly checked and holes are found all the time, Microsoft has an much better patch management solution than just about any other browser going.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yay for Firefox, but I don't think its that simple. Because IE is an integral part of Windows, an exploit in IE means an exploit in Windows itself, correct?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Used to be able to uninstall IE. Don't know if that's still possible. Get a Mac. No IE problems. :D

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding (weak as it is anymore on this stuff!) is that Explorer is so integrated into the Windows package now that you can't do much about it's presence. For example, it's what powers your file explorer feature, too -- or least that's what I've been told. You might be able to block IE from accessing the web... but that's about it.

Latest Discussions