Favorite techniques?

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its been kind of quiet so lets talk technique to liven the place up a bit? What are some of your favorites? I don't mean things that you think are the best (since that's always situational) but just things that either in sparring you feel good when you hit or something you think is exceptionally fun to drill?

For example, when rolling I always enjoy hitting the scoop throw (Sukui Nage in Judo).

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Favorite techniques...

For me, I'd have to say locks that have to do with the shoulder, elbow and wrist. I use these predominately and they are my go-to applications if it is a hands-on situation. Great if striking isn't needed or for use after striking has enabled me to put the lock on. Normally to move the arm behind the back to facilitate moving the person or to apply cuffs if the situation isn't conducive to getting them prone before hand.

OP
R

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been trying to hit this wrist lock lately in sparring. Either for someone grabbing my lapel or aggressively shoving my chest would be my real world applications.

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Harai goshi. Sorry, don't know the korean name.
1928724_118671695011_5926_n.jpg

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to think of a favorite but I can't narrow it down.

Maybe locks that turn into a pin using the wrist and elbow.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its been kind of quiet so lets talk technique to liven the place up a bit? What are some of your favorites? I don't mean things that you think are the best (since that's always situational) but just things that either in sparring you feel good when you hit or something you think is exceptionally fun to drill?

For example, when rolling I always enjoy hitting the scoop throw (Sukui Nage in Judo).

In the Hapkido I learned we had a very nasty variation on that. We would lift with our leg just as we broke his balance, lift him, moving our leg into the small of his back, and let him fall, helping him gain momentum if we could. Best to drop you foot with the toes contacting the ground first to help save your heel.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been trying to hit this wrist lock lately in sparring. Either for someone grabbing my lapel or aggressively shoving my chest would be my real world applications.

Any technique that you make work is a good one. I don't think one can have too many tools. But I worry about the opponent's free left hand. It appears he might be able to strike the instructor in the above video. That is the advantage of a two hand wrist grab that forces the opponent to turn at an awkward angle where he cannot strike you. That said, in the event a two handed technique isn't possible for whatever reason, that would be a better than just waiting for your opponent to attack as he wishes.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been trying to think of a favorite but I can't narrow it down.

Maybe locks that turn into a pin using the wrist and elbow.

I think I am like you. I trained very hard never to have a favorite, in the sense that I didn't want to always be trying to use any favorites. I trained myself to react to attacks without thinking, just letting myself use a technique that countered the attack being used against me. We always learned more than one, and they were all effective. Why disregard some just because they weren't favorites, or a little more difficult?

OP
R

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Any technique that you make work is a good one. I don't think one can have too many tools. But I worry about the opponent's free left hand. It appears he might be able to strike the instructor in the above video. That is the advantage of a two hand wrist grab that forces the opponent to turn at an awkward angle where he cannot strike you. That said, in the event a two handed technique isn't possible for whatever reason, that would be a better than just waiting for your opponent to attack as he wishes.

You can bury your head on the outside to use it to control the person while avoiding strikes.

maxresdefault.jpg

OP
R

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think I am like you. I trained very hard never to have a favorite, in the sense that I didn't want to always be trying to use any favorites. I trained myself to react to attacks without thinking, just letting myself use a technique that countered the attack being used against me. We always learned more than one, and they were all effective. Why disregard some just because they weren't favorites, or a little more difficult?

I agree. The idea of the topic was not so much about having only a few techniques you are good at, but sometimes there are low percentage/high reward things that are gratifying when they succeed or maybe something someone has been working on becoming good at for a long time and they are seeing progress and want to share. Also as a good excuse to share technique videos and get us talking about something. :)

OP
R

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To keep things flowing, sometimes friends who know I practice martial arts and train will want to get rowdy and horse play. Hammerlocks are deceptively simple and effective in getting them to relax and calm down a little :)

Demonstrated here at about 11:40 by Grand Master Bong Soo Han.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
To keep things flowing, sometimes friends who know I practice martial arts and train will want to get rowdy and horse play. Hammerlocks are deceptively simple and effective in getting them to relax and calm down a little :)

Demonstrated here at about 11:40 by Grand Master Bong Soo Han.

If one begins looking about 10:00 or a little after, it is shown in slow motion. Note how his grip with the left hand includes crossing the thumbs. That is very important to properly controlling the opponent's wrist and therefore the arm. The narrator mentions the two pain points are the elbow and the wrist. In the Hapkido I learned there is a third point, the shoulder socket. You can easily dislocate the shoulder with this move as well as break or dislocate the elbow or wrist, depending on the pressure you use and the speed of execution.

Good video.

OP
R

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If one begins looking about 10:00 or a little after, it is shown in slow motion. Note how his grip with the left hand includes crossing the thumbs. That is very important to properly controlling the opponent's wrist and therefore the arm. The narrator mentions the two pain points are the elbow and the wrist. In the Hapkido I learned there is a third point, the shoulder socket. You can easily dislocate the shoulder with this move as well as break or dislocate the elbow or wrist, depending on the pressure you use and the speed of execution.

Good video.
Yeah the further up the back the wrist/forearm/hand go the more stretching you get in the shoulder. The stretch looks and feels different than the type of shoulder lock you would get with something that attacks the rotator cuff. To me it feels more like the muscles of the deltoid are being stretch or almost spiraled.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess it would depend. In training, my favorites would be the ones I do the best, because, hey, you know.

Outside the dojo, I guess it would depend as well. We don't always get to pick. Hard to apply anything to a hard wired struggling opponent. Maybe easier to stun him first, really pop the bastard, then go with the position you got. If the Gods are smiling on me, I'm a neck or arm kind of guy.

So, maybe my favorite might be that initial stun.

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hapkido's form of the roundhouse kick. I love me some kicks.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tough one. There's the Scissor Take-down, the Rolling Knee-Bar, the Lateral Drop, and as of late the Japanese Necktie. :)