Favorite childhood toy

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Related to the best Christmas present thread is this.

What was your favorite toy as a child?

It's probably the one you played with the most though not necessarily. It may be one that you had for a very short time but remember fondly. Unlike the Christmas thread, this toy could have come from anywhere; maybe even something you found by accident.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over the years of me childhood, any toy that I caould play music on (radio, stereo, etc) was, by default, favorite.

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've only received about 6 gifts, literally, in my entire childhood. I'm sure I could honestly name them all if I thought about it for a second, but I'd rather not.

The one that I remember is a toy gun I got when I was 10. It was a toy laser blaster type gun called a Sonic Fazer (yes, I spelled that right).

It has 6 settings on it and was battery powered. Each setting made a different blaster sound.

Unfortunately my grandmother bought me the display model which was the last available. It was broken and only one setting worked but it sounded all squeeky.

Still, I played with it every day. I made a makeshift holster for it and everything. I just ran around in the woods with it, scaring deer and such, but it was fun.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
The one that I remember is a toy gun I got when I was 10. It was a toy laser blaster type gun called a Sonic Fazer (yes, I spelled that right).

Guns were the best. One of my faves was a Transformer. Megatron! Could change into a gun. I also loved my Legos. One of my favorite creations was a gun!

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the guys I know still buys action figures and toys all the time. He loves the Transformers and looks forward to buying them. I'm glad to see that some people still have it in them to play with toys and stop being so "adult".

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
One of the guys I know still buys action figures and toys all the time. He loves the Transformers and looks forward to buying them. I'm glad to see that some people still have it in them to play with toys and stop being so "adult".

I think most guys never outgrow toys, they just get alot more expensive :)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
That would explain my computer and 8 peripherals.

Some aspects of growing up is kind of sad... i used to be able to spend a day running through the woods beating trees with sticks, or spend countless hours playing ball by myself or with friends. Makes you wish for the days when you could get a thrill out of skipping rocks or jumping over the waves in the ocean...

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Makes you wish for the days when you could get a thrill out of skipping rocks or jumping over the waves in the ocean...

(sigh) So true. So true.

Anybody else remember a favorite toy? What about all the really safe ones like Slinky and Lawn Darts?

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I grew up "financially disadvantaged" (I think that is the politically correct term) so the best present I ever got - even though technically not a toy - was ski pants. Getting them meant I could go outside and play instead of staying in all of the time.

K

Kempogeek

Navarre said:
(sigh) So true. So true.

Anybody else remember a favorite toy? What about all the really safe ones like Slinky and Lawn Darts?
Geez! What memories that brings! I remember trying to make the Slinky walk down the stairs at my grandmom's house. I also had sets of slot car race sets from Tyco. Also anyone remember Ideal's T.C.R (Total Control Racing) slotless racing sets? What I wouldn't give to have that now.......Steve

T

TheBattousai

It probrably was my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles themed christmas one year when I was 4 or 5 (maybe 6). I got alot of stuff, but I loved the Turtle Blimp, that was great.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Some aspects of growing up is kind of sad... i used to be able to spend a day running through the woods beating trees with sticks, or spend countless hours playing ball by myself or with friends. Makes you wish for the days when you could get a thrill out of skipping rocks or jumping over the waves in the ocean...

So what's stopping you?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
So what's stopping you?

Still enjoy doing silly things, but some horrible things keep spoiling the fun... such as making a living :D I try to find humor in life still... its a sad day when I don't laugh :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Board games and other physical games of all types. We played a lot of these as a family while I grew up. I remember the original LIFE, chess/checkers, wooden pick-up sticks, original tiddly-winks, Brio Labyrintspel (the wooden Labyrinth with metal balls), etc. I have managed to collect vintage games exactly like the ones (exact year, brand, etc) I used to play. I've managed to find some 30 year old games still in mint condition.

I guess it is not the toys/games per se, but the memories these things invoke that drives my quest to collect them.

- Ceicei

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Legos.

US1 Electric Trucking.

Ricochet Racers

Anything star wars.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
My Kuwahara BMX [right after the movie ET]. Man was I something on that! Ahhh, where did all the time go? *sighs wistfully* Hehe.

Latest Discussions