Favorite Actor

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think I can narrow it down to one favorite, I'm too much of a movie freak. Are we talking film actors, tv actors?
Kind of like the "what's your favorite movie" question. And there's so many talented young actors that have come around lately, I don't even remember all their names.

I just watched "Limitless". Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro. Both fantastic actors (acting is not an easy art) but difficult to compare to each other.

How about we break the question up into categories or something?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of my favorite movies like Lone Survivor and The Departed both have Mark Wahlberg in it So maybe him I guess

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some of my favorite movies like Lone Survivor and The Departed both have Mark Wahlberg in it So maybe him I guess

I really like Mark Wahlberg. He seems so everyday normal in his characters. I know a lot of people say his portrayals are the same in every movie, but I don't care, I feel he makes the role identifiable to me. My favorite Wahlberg movies are Invincible and the Italian Job. Just makes me root for the characters he plays.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of MA, it would be Donny (Donnie) Yen. Overall, as @Buka say's, difficult to answer. There are so many from the late Philip Seymour Hoffman to James Earl Jones. Many more for me.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tom Hardy. He's pretty versatile and has given some impressive performances.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
in terms of martial arts i dont think i have a favorite but chackie chan has been in a lot of kung fu movies so maybe him... or bruce lee)
jackievsbruce.jpg

in terms of comedy movies this guy
AceVenturaFilm.PNG

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hard to say really. There are a lot of pretty great actors out there, and within any given genre my top would probably change. I'm going to say a favorite director instead, out of a number of good ones. I like Uwe Boll quite a bit. Mostly his movies that aren't based on video games, or at least approach realistic subjects. He makes really gritty movies, there aren't really any heroes. It's almost like watching something a war photographer might have shot sometimes.
He also made an open challenge to any of his critics to a boxing match, which is pretty impressive.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's interesting, as you don't necessarily think of or get drawn to Wahlberg as a "great" actor. But I totally dug those movies too. I also, I know, liked Sniper or whatever that sniper movie he was in, maybe it was sharp shooter...

Also really liked the Fighter, that boxing one, thought Bale's acting was great in that too.

That said, the guy who says "I am the reaper..." who played alongside Wahlberg in Lone Survivor and was one of the last to go, I have rated most of his performances, I first saw him in the kidnap movie where his kid bro got killed. thought he was great. Also in that "3.08 to Juma" or whatever, that Western movie with Christian Bale in. That guys a good character actor I reckon.

Gotta google his name.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ben Foster, that's the guy. Crazy looking but super cool actor.
Also liked him in The Mechanic (the remake)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's interesting, as you don't necessarily think of or get drawn to Wahlberg as a "great" actor. But I totally dug those movies too..
I know I was kinda shocked i typed his name. Iwas thinking of movies I like and they both had him in common

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting, as you don't necessarily think of or get drawn to Wahlberg as a "great" actor. But I totally dug those movies too. I also, I know, liked Sniper or whatever that sniper movie he was in, maybe it was sharp shooter...

Also really liked the Fighter, that boxing one, thought Bale's acting was great in that too.

That said, the guy who says "I am the reaper..." who played alongside Wahlberg in Lone Survivor and was one of the last to go, I have rated most of his performances, I first saw him in the kidnap movie where his kid bro got killed. thought he was great. Also in that "3.08 to Juma" or whatever, that Western movie with Christian Bale in. That guys a good character actor I reckon.

Gotta google his name.

The Shooter with Kate Mara and Michael Pena.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Rylance, a fantastically good actor, director and playwright. One of the best Shakespearean actors going, he's also been in award winning films including Prospero's Book and Institute Benjamenta. Very, very talented and very good at getting the best out of other actors.

cereal killer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jason Bateman I think he's a brilliant actor. Everyone knows him for his comedic roles but he is one hell of a fine dramatic actor as well. He was in the film Disconnect and let me tell you that movie is PHENOMENAL. I highly highly recommend it. It really is a must see and I don't say that very often.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jason Bateman I think he's a brilliant actor. Everyone knows him for his comedic roles but he is one hell of a fine dramatic actor as well. He was in the film Disconnect and let me tell you that movie is PHENOMENAL. I highly highly recommend it. It really is a must see and I don't say that very often.

I agree with that. He was also great in "Paul" by Simon Pegg and Steven Frost :) If you have not seen it, please watch!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
old times actor James Cagney
today's actors Mark Wahlberg Never realized how many of his films I watched until this thread

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
the amount of people stating Mark Walhberg blows my mind! But to each their own.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
JLaw--beyond the obvious, I thought she did an incredible job in Silver Linings Playbook.

I think she's something special, a young Meryl Streep if you will. My wife and I were on a day off and looked to the movies when Silver Linings Playbook first opened. We read the description and said no thank you.... then we watched the trailer and laughed (aloud) so we went to see it. Enjoyed it very much, as we did her performance.

About a week later we happened to catch Winter's Bone (2010) on cable and were blown away by her range as an actress. Especially a young actress. We've been following and enjoying her ever since. The gal has some serious chops.

Latest Discussions