Fast punches=hurt elbow??

wingc

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to know if someone do chain punches on air, can he probably hurt his elbow?

Thank you in advance

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Only if he hyper extends his elbow while throwing the punches. It's best to keep a slight bend in the elbow and shoulder pinned down. At least that's how I do it. I have never experienced any elbow pain or shoulder pain for that matter. Hope this helps

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard/fast punches with a loose fist can also lead to elbow strain. You need to make sure your fist is TIGHT by the time you reach full extension.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello,I would like to know if someone do chain punches on air, can he probably hurt his elbow? Thank you in advance
Make sure you stay relaxed , punch as fast and as hard as you want , you will not hurt yourself .The most you might get is a bit of bicep pain if your not used to punching in the Wing Chun way.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Generally, if You Snap Your Arm out too Hard, You can Injure Yourself on an Idiopathic Basis.
But even then, its a matter of How Hard.
Relaxing, and Tensing accordingly are also Factors.

Bottom line is, No. As long as Your Technique is sound, Youll be fine.
Besides the odd Injury, which is Slightly Inevitable in pretty much any MA Training.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make sure your punch mechanics are good. Where I see people having elbow problems is when they punch with a hinging motion at the elbow rather than a piston action.
Slow and smooth to start, checking all the details, and as you continue to practice in this way, the punch will become faster all on its own.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So to sum up....

Yes if done wrong.

No if done right

:asian:

That says it all right there. Chain punching is meant for close quarters, so there`s no need to hyperextend the elbow. You`re walking right through the opponent, constantly putting pressure on him and always taking his space. Since you`re at bad breath distances you relax your hand,lead with the forearm to crash through his arms, and clench up just before impact (which should happen before your arm is fully extended). If you`re doing it right, you can do it all day every day and never get sore. If you`re doing it wrong you can strain your elbow. And if you`re doing it wrong you`re probably overextending or your timing is off. Either way slow down and concentrate on slower smoother movement with proper form. That builds muscle memory so that you can speed up later.

You could just practice hitting an object if your only concern was avoiding injury, but it still wouldn`t teach your to do it the right way.In other words you wouldn`t have "kung fu" because even though you weren`t getting injured you`d still be doing it wrong.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't train Wing Chun but I generally do not have anyone with major joint trouble kick air for this reason. Mostly because of the hyperextension issue but striking a pad is actually easier on you than hitting air.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
So to sum up....

Yes if done wrong.

No if done right

:asian:

You would have to be doing something drastically wrong , like Yak Sao said , such as using a hammering type of action instead of a piston action.

Always drive the elbows forward and punch out to full extension , whether in the air or into a target
Not driving the elbows out to full extension encourages a weak circular type of punching action , driving the elbows out cultivates the development of "elbow force " and the correct linear action.
This is a type of grinding , driving force driven from the elbow that can smash straight through any hard blocking attempts made by the opponent.

In fact when you get to the level of learning the Biu Jee form the thrusting finger movements in particular are perfomed with great acceleration , with no injury to the practitioners elbows.

Just make sure you keep up diligent practise of the Sil Lum Tao form so that you program proper technique and regular training of the form will also help to strengthen and protect your joints , tendons, etc.

I would have to add that kicks are a different kettle of fish , kicking at high speed in the air will damage you .
The leg has a lot more mass than the arm and the rapid deceleration of the kick will hurt the joint.

If you want to practice kicking at full speed do it on an object , or if nothing is available to take the impact , practice "leg raising".

That is just maintaining the angle in your leg as you raise it from your stance using the hip flexors , you can do this exercise as fast as you want without hurting yourself , and in many ways this training is more beneficial than actually kicking an object , because it teaches you to relax which enables you to kick at even higher speed for even greater impact.

Last edited:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't train Wing Chun but I generally do not have anyone with major joint trouble kick air for this reason. Mostly because of the hyperextension issue but striking a pad is actually easier on you than hitting air.
And Walking is easier than Jogging :)

Seriously though, Both Methods have Benefits. Hitting Air can Aid in Power Generation, but it needs to be done in Moderation. Hitting Targets Teaches other stuff, like Accuracy.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hard/fast punches with a loose fist can also lead to elbow strain. You need to make sure your fist is TIGHT by the time you reach full extension.

Dirty Dog, I sense that you are not a 'Chunner, and I expect that you mean something different than I do by a "loose fist", but in our WC (NVTO) we always keep a loose fist and relaxed arm and when we do "air punching" we extend the elbow 100%. If you do the technique properly (vertical fist, elbow pointing downward) and with control you will not hurt your elbow or be vulnerable to a joint lock or break by extending fully. If you overdo it with too much tension or poor technique, you may experience joint pain... which is the sighn something is wrong! Also, it is best to alternate air punching with bag hitting, also relaxed, so that the bag will stop your arm before reaching full extention. The reason for the 100% extention is to train "releasing your energy" rather than always "braking" your punch and holding back your energy. Remember, when striking an actual opponent, his body (like the wall bag) will stop your punch for you!

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to know if someone do chain punches on air, can he probably hurt his elbow?

Thank you in advance

Echoing what others had said, do the punch correctly - or should I have said "use you elbow joint correctly".

The issue is not rather the elbow should have an slight bend or 100% full extension, it has to do with what happened when you "lock out" the elbow joint. Imagine of flipping open a knife, the blade is stopped by a piece metal in the handle = impact, the harder/faster you you open the knife = more impact, do that long enough, you'll seen some damage of the two contact surfaces.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And Walking is easier than Jogging :)

Seriously though, Both Methods have Benefits. Hitting Air can Aid in Power Generation, but it needs to be done in Moderation. Hitting Targets Teaches other stuff, like Accuracy.

Despite it being marginally useful, for someone with bad knees (mine are pretty bad and I still do it FWIW) I don't have them kick air at all. Someone who's healthy, sure, but I'm not in the business of aggravating bad joints.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no knowledge of other styles punching methods , but in Wing Chun relaxation of the muscles is a crucial aspect.If the muscles are not relaxed body mass will not be transferred optimally through your arm into the target. In defensive movements this also means that any tension will cause a blockage that will prevent the opponents force from flowing through your body and going down harmlessly into the ground. So to clarify on punching stay relaxed , expand your angle fully , and slightly firm the wrist on contact as you form the fist.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Despite it being marginally useful, for someone with bad knees (mine are pretty bad and I still do it FWIW) I don't have them kick air at all. Someone who's healthy, sure, but I'm not in the business of aggravating bad joints.

Fair enough :)

OP
W

wingc

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much all for the useful information and for the whole discussion about elbow!!

Latest Discussions