Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Per: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100202/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_budget_fact_check_3

FACT CHECK: Obama budget a leap of faith on growth

By CALVIN WOODWARD and MARTIN CRUTSINGER, Associated Press Writers Calvin Woodward And Martin Crutsinger, Associated Press Writers – Tue Feb 2, 9:20 am ET
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama's proposed budget relies on a commission without teeth to help his administration wrestle the deficit out of the danger zone. It forecasts stronger economic growth than most economists expect and calls on Congress to cut programs that lawmakers cherish.

All budgets from the White House are leaps of faith of some sort. This one is no exception.

Politics aside, The Federal Government and the President and his appointees would not accept such predictions from the automotive companies for turn around times, and they stated they were protecting the tax payers, why is it now good to take over inflated projections on the economy and suggest this is bet budget plan?

Is this another Congressional and Executive Branch issue of one standard for themselves and another harder standerd for everyone else?

And yes I specifically quoted the second paragraph that says all budgets out of the white house are leaps of faith. I did this to try to stop the party bashing and talk about a larger issue of the government versus the people in expectations and benefits.

sandanbob

White Belt
Reaction score
I was in a waiting room the other day, and there was a program on. According to the figures presented, the BEST the proposed budget will do is increase the deficit by something like 4%...

Where is the accountability (and accounting ability) of the people we send to Washington?

Bob

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really think elections for those in the House and Senate ought to be every two years for the whole shebang.

The 'accountability' is in the ballot box. Only we just don't get the chance to use it more.

And another real problem is 99.9 percent of the executive branch were not voted in at all. And most of these agencies can make ‘rules’ that have the force of law but are not voted on. This should be prohibited so it forces Congress to do the dirty work. It’s Congress’s responsibility to legislate, not delegate.

And one last thing… Congress, through the constitution, should be forced to a recorded vote for EVERY VOTE they take. No ‘voice votes’ so they can hide what they did.

Deaf

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It really just isn't right. Governments of all stripes have been doing it for years; using 'projections' that don't make sense.

Here in Canada, and you'll be shocked to hear that nothing even ever came of it, the government canned an appointee to the parliamentary budget oversight office (a non partisan guidance division) for disagreeing with them on their rosy projections. SIGH.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To quote Dr Horrible:

"The world is a mess, and I just need to... rule it!"

Latest Discussions