Explosive power! How?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
Recently I was training with the head of my Wing Chun school association as he had just come to cover our normal sifu as he was away. Anyway we where holding the large pads that you hold against your body whilst somebody else powers a kick into it.

Anyway, the head of the WC school (lets call him Bob) is quite a chubby guy but how the hell can he kick like that????? The 'hard' guy in the class kicks pretty hard and just about moves the holder of the pad. But Bob was side kicking it and the guy holding it was literally flying backwards a couple of feet from the impact. There was also considerable power in his turning kick and even now even as I do Tae Kwon Do I really cannot understand where he mastered that power.

He apparently did Qigong, could that be reason?

How could I train myself with this explosivity? Is it technique that I have to work on? Or what?

Regards

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Would have to say it depends on a variety of factors when it comes to kicks.

Part of it is technique. Knowing how to get your body mass into a kick, how to eliminate "extra" movements, and to make sure the body is acting in a cordinated fashion. So things like your pivot, how you use your hips, timing, what your upper body does, if you entire body is going on one straight path to the target (instead any counterdicting motions...that is the best way I can explain it). If he is a chubby guy, then he has more mass to throw into a kick. My guess is that he knows how to properly put all his weight into the kick....making for a devestating attack.

Another thing to consider is flexibility, but if you have been studying TKD for a long time that should not be an issue. The less flexible you are, the more you have to expend to get a kick up there. Something that I heard works well and something a few instructors I know who have great kicks use is plyometrics. That should add a little extra "something" to your kicks.

Also, if all else fails, get a poor target holder. I have sent guys much bigger than me flying back and had guys smaller than me not move that much when holding targets for my side kick. If someone knows how to hold a target, then they will move much less than someone who was just told "here, hold this".

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:

How could I train myself with this explosivity? Is it technique that I have to work on? Or what?

Regards
Maybe but chances are he just knows what he's doing because of practice, practice & more practice.

By chance... is the only thing he practices Wing Chun?

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Hi,
Recently I was training with the head of my Wing Chun school association as he had just come to cover our normal sifu as he was away. Anyway we where holding the large pads that you hold against your body whilst somebody else powers a kick into it.

Anyway, the head of the WC school (lets call him Bob) is quite a chubby guy but how the hell can he kick like that????? The 'hard' guy in the class kicks pretty hard and just about moves the holder of the pad. But Bob was side kicking it and the guy holding it was literally flying backwards a couple of feet from the impact. There was also considerable power in his turning kick and even now even as I do Tae Kwon Do I really cannot understand where he mastered that power.

Regards

One of the most important aspects of power - and especially explosive power - is proper relaxation. If you've got tension where you don't need it then you're fighting yourself, slowing yourself down, decreasing your power and using unnecessary energy.

Check this article at my website for a more complete description of what I mean by "proper relaxation" - http://impactacademy.com/articles/show_article.php?article=Diamond_in_the_Rough

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
shu2jak and pesilat are right on the money!!!

You can't beat QUALITY technique for power!!!!!!!!!! Size doesn't have nearly as much to do with it IF you've got excellent technique.

Something to look into if you are interested in developing 'explosiveness' is Plyometric Exercises!! Look it up on Google or in the library, you'll be glad you did.

Your Brother
John

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Refine your technique to remove any unneccesary movement. Next do some plyometrics and use the Olympic lifts to build hip explosion. You also nee to do some serious strength training.

Remeber that power comes from speed, technique, and strength. These are the bigger factors in generating power.

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, the head of the WC school (lets call him Bob) is quite a chubby guy but how the hell can he kick like that?????
I would agree here--a lot of it is probably that he has great technique. And the fact that if he's 'chubby' he also has a lot of mass to use at his disposal.

Good technique + lots of mass = really nasty kicks

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
CMack11 said:
I would agree here--a lot of it is probably that he has great technique. And the fact that if he's 'chubby' he also has a lot of mass to use at his disposal.

Good technique + lots of mass = really nasty kicks
Don't forget to add in that mass also factors into some strong legs and hips.. :)

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Maybe but chances are he just knows what he's doing because of practice, practice & more practice.

By chance... is the only thing he practices Wing Chun?
No, as I said before he does Qigong.

He's also done most of the animal systems and has trained with most styles and learnt from them. By most styles I mean common and some uncommon ones. As in he's trained with kickboxers, TKDers, BJJ, Ju jitsu, Karate, etc etc

Lol, damn looks like a answered my own question. Teach me to think first. I'll try out the plyometrics exercises!

Regards

Latest Discussions