`Essay' component of dan testing?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a question: who on this forum was/will be required to write an essay, or thesis, or something like that on some aspect of TKD as part of the requirements for (some) dan grade? And I'm also curious about which of you instructors have an extended written component along those lines as part of the dan requirements for your students. I have the impression that a requirement along these lines isn't uncommon, but isn't universal either. I'm interested in what kinds of topics are considered suitable for such essays in your program... (hmm, guess this isn't just `a' question anymore...)

I appreciate any feedback you can give me...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of us have - there was even a poll about it. Rather than retype my answer, I'm just going to link it.

EmperorOfKentukki

Green Belt
Reaction score
The concept of a written exam has been incorporated into the Dan exams of the Internation Tangsoodo Alliance since it's inception. The written exam is quite extensive and often includes Essay questions. Most Shimsanim require the candidate to also write prior to the exam an essay on an assigned subject. I personally have assigned a book to be read and subsequent report to be written on every occasion where I have served as either Mentor or as Shimsa. When I was coming up through the ranks, this was a demand I placed upon myself without being told so by my mentors. In Korea, origianlly there were no such requirements, atleast not up to the 4th Dan. This seems to be an innovation that was first established in the west. As regards TKD today, you simply cannot get a job teaching in Korea unless you have been educated and earned an academic degree, preferably from one of the Universities offering specific programs in Taekwondo. There has been a great debate in this country (USA) over the establishment of some type of licensing for MA instructors. Most are against this. I am one of the few who do not think it would be a bad thing....even if it means I couldn't teach anymore. I think it will be impossible for us to ever raise MA out of the murk of being something carnival until this happens. I also find it deplorable the great number of martial artists who still believe it is unimportant to know the history, culture, politics and language of the Asian Martial Arts. Sadly, more would keep us ignorant than push us to excellance. THe only reason I can find for this is because it serves their own greed and self gratification. It may no be in the keeping of the spirit of humility for one to confront such people publicly...but unfortunately, that currently is the only method by which they can be revealed and rebuked. True teachers should never fear challenge.

JH

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey and EofK--thanks much for your replies. I see that people are adding their responses to that thread that Kacey provided a link to (thank you too, born_fighting!) and I hope that at least a few more of the Korean MA people will add their input as well. There are some very good, pointed comments about the value added to the dan requirement by having a thesis (or some equivalent) as part of the requirements.

BTW, EofK---this question you raise, about certification of MA instructors... seems to me it merits a thread on its own. Why not start one? I can imagine a lot of useful comments and intense discussion coming out of it.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All of our 1st Dan testers are required to submit a typed three-page essay on their thoughts about Tae Kwon Do along with the standard testing forms. The idea is to give the judges an idea of where they are mentally, not just how good their technique is.
Our original Senior Instructors also had to submit a typed 20 page essay. As the first class of Masters, our Grandmaster also wanted to know how far they had come mentally.

Sirius

White Belt
Reaction score
At my old school, one had to write a short essay about a topic of the instructor's choosing for the dan test. I don't know if they do that anymore. Generally it was about fighting or competition rules rather than something more intellectual.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I require black belt applicants to submit a no less than 5 page paper on how their training has affected them. This is a newer requirement as I've only implemented it this calendar year.

The insight from these students has benefited them as they've had to reflect on their training. But the curious thing is that it has benefited me from reading their essays. It is absolutely amazing the influence martial arts teachers have on their students. It is a huge responsibility actually which should not be undertaken lightly.

Miles

Sirius

White Belt
Reaction score
I require black belt applicants to submit a no less than 5 page paper on how their training has affected them. This is a newer requirement as I've only implemented it this calendar year.

The insight from these students has benefited them as they've had to reflect on their training. But the curious thing is that it has benefited me from reading their essays. It is absolutely amazing the influence martial arts teachers have on their students. It is a huge responsibility actually which should not be undertaken lightly.

Miles

I can see how that would be very beneficial. My sister had to write about her seven greatest sparring weaknesses-her paper was about 10 pages long. I think it takes some character to evaluate your own weaknesses so thoroughly. Most people I've met can't (won't) do it.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What I've told students is to keep a copy of their 1st Dan essay, and look at it again in 10-15 years when they have reached higher Dan level. Most of the time they cannot believe they actually wrote what they did. Amazing what happens when you look back on your paper with hindsight of a higher Dan. How much your mind changes.

Latest Discussions