Escrima (Philippino Martial Arts)

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good skills though! Reminds me of tapi-tapi in many ways.

Absolutely!
icon6.gif

Phil Mar Nadela

White Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't know who they are but they do have a contact number at the end of the video if I am not mistaken.
I like the part of the video when the camera man said in Filipino just to continue (doing freestyle).

Thanks for the vid!:ultracool

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have the first 12 Striking set down pretty good now. We have done some basic blocking and disarming with Punyo techniques. I have the basic 5 movements of a 2-person drilling set. Three to the inside and Two to the outside blocking and countering. Any of these sound familiar? I remember learning a striking set very similar if not the same from Master Joe Pierro of Shaolin Kempo. Haven't done any Heaven Six yet. Just started training 8-15-08. Its only one hour a week but I have two people I can drill with constantly.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I havent seen a WC forum or group that doesnt have a Kali/Escrima/Arnis/etc. section and vice versa. As much as I trust my own experience in the arts and classical weapons I never really could contribute one way or another because I hadnt studied Sticks yet. Now that I am a humble two months in I cant help but to notice the basic drills of footwork are almost if not identical to Sek Ma and Som Gat Ma footwork in WC.
Most intersting is how the art Kali/Escrima/Arnis/IllustrussiWho? are all actually complete Fillipino Martial Arts that take you through a whole science of Sticks to Swords to Knives to Emptyhands. A Very Complete System.
Ive posted before about how Wing Chun as a teaching system teaches you from the inside-out although you fight outside-in. ( Ex. Slt-in close basic hand movements, CK- bridging sinking controlling, Bil Gee-closing bridging to gain initial contact or if contact is lost, like going to multiple opponents.). In Kali it seems to go from Sticks to Shortswords to Knives to Empty Hands.... Outside-in. Our Basic class structure is Warm-ups, drills, partner drills, basic technique with single stick, then with tantos(we like the tantos because they are cheap, and sturdy. You can really file a cutting motion on an oponent without it folding up or bending like the plastic or rubber knives.), then the same technique again with empty hands. Havent done anything with double sticks yet except the Heaven Six strikes.
Guru Ignacio is Philipino of Chinese ancestry. He originally learned from uncles in the islands. His grandfather actually moved to America not long after Guru and his training continued. Guru also has training in the Villabrille-Lacoste system. He has told of how in the old tribes one could tell the leaders from the soldiers because the highest rank chief had the smallest blade. I thought this was way kool.:ultracool
I do not have the form but from what I have seen the Baat Chaam Dao has a ready stance with one hand slightly back and the other forward, both on guard and one leg slightly back. This is the way I am taught in Ignacio as well.
There is basic Form, Strikes, Blocks , Structure( Alot of triangles!!!) and Footwork but Ignacio doesnt concentrate on specific applications as much. More natural flow and forward momentum belive it or not( Its very apparent at the knives and empty hand stage).
Now remember my resume, Kempo14, TCC10,WC2, KALI 2/12. So for what all that hot air is worth Im having a blast an getting a **** good workout.