Equip a 30' x 30' private training area

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, let's dream. Someon tells you, "I'll build a 30' x 30' private training area to your specifications." You'll have a bathroom w/ a shower attached (so it's not an issue.) This would be put in your backyard or where ever you choose for your private use. From floor to ceiling, what would you put in it?

A/C or not?
Mirrors?
Ballet bar?
Hanging bags?

These are just thoughts. Build it anyway you want. Let's dream a bit!:ubercool:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, let's dream. Someon tells you, "I'll build a 30' x 25' private training area to your specifications." You'll have a bathroom w/ a shower attached (so it's not an issue.) From floor to ceiling, what would you put in it?

A/C or not?
Mirrors?
Ballet bar?
Hanging bags?

These are just thoughts. Build it anyway you want. Let's dream a bit!:ubercool:

I'll tell you what I have in my garage....it's just a shade under 30x30. I've got

a wrestling mat, 10x10 in the center,
a Body Bob with a floor base,
a speed bag platform mounted in the wall,
a standard heavy bag hanging from the ceiling,
a 'Wave' bag heavy bag hanging from the ceiling,
a 6ft Banana bag hanging from the ceiling.
a homemade double tire hanger for Kali stick drills.
a stereo

And of course assorted gloves, pads, mitts, and other odds and ends training stuff.

If I was wishing, i'd add

a Legged Grappling Dummy for solo throws and ground training
a Tear drop bag
a wall-mounted Upper-cut bag
a wrecking ball bag
and get a bigger wrestling mat, maybe 20x20.....or even a 30x30 to mat the entire floor of the garage.

I probably will buy a cheap TV/vcr/dvd combo to play training videos and such on.

I don't have any A/C, Mirrors, or Ballet bars though......if I find a cheap A/C unit for sale I might put it in the window for the middle of July and August......I also might buy a small refrigerator to keep cold beer in for me and the buddies when we're done. :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
A sand pit in the center (with cat-exclusion device :) )
A removable hardwood floor over the sand pit. Parquet on floor would include my tiga, sliwa and sukurun
Crown Gym Mats that could cover the floor in a ceiling storage rack.
A few heavy bags from small ones to a full banana bag, uppercut and Thai knee bags that can be moved to various odd positions around the gym
A speed bag
An over and under bag
"Bob"
Storage closets
Mirrors on one wall
Strobes, spots, sound system. smoke, wind and rain generators for sensory overload training
CCTV including infra red for safety in low-light exercises
Obstacles for force-on-force
Miscellaneous pads, focus mitts, protective gear, Red man suits and training weapons
Heating and air conditioning
Conditioning equipment including clubbells, kettlebells, squishy balls, squat rack
First aid and fire control supplies
Serious locks and burglar alarms on the door and the shatter proof windows :(

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can see it now. The whole room is one big makiwara:headbangin:
LOL! That head banging guy there would like that! No, I was suggesting to add that. There are many good ideas in this thread, especially tellner's suggestions, those would outfit it very nicely.

Of course, you would want to not have anything that would just take up space needlessly. I myself have never seen the need for a speedbag. I would not have that.

Now, since we are just dreaming about this -- I would have many hooks on the ceiling. Many. You could then hang the sand bags from these. You could move them about from one hook to another as you wished. In this way you could have a number of sandbags at different locations, at different heights. You could strike them as if they are multiple attackers. Once you were comfortable with a certain configuration, they would be moved.

Of course, some people would want different equipment. The wing-tzun people would want to have a "wooden dummy". Others would have no use for this type of thing.

Some kind of striking board would be needed, though, to provide conditioning to break targets, of course. Any striking art people would want this.

There are some CMA who would want some kind of pillars somewhere, too, of course, to stand on, and step from one to another as they kick, but could be then put up away somewhere at another time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matted of course, Kicking Bags, speed bag, resistance training equipment, kicking shield and focus mitts, Acouple of dedicated people to have around to train with and of course the best for last a wife that could understand why I needed all of this.

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like most of what has been said above, the only thing I would ensure is that it had radiant in-floor heat and 12-16' ceilings with a big fan or two.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For the room itself, I would take the high ceilings with a couple high fans, the mirrors, and the ballet bars. The floor should either be a free-floating hardwood floor or a hard rubber, something with the bare minimum of give needed to absorb a body - quite probably something like this: http://www.sportcourt.com/pdf/Response.pdf . I'm not sure what kind it was, but I tested on an artificial rubberized surface last weekend at the Newtown Athletic Club near Philly, it was the most wonderful floor ever. Climate control, with a hard pass to keep me from wussing out and turning the AC under 75 in the summer.

For gear, enough heavy bags to drill myself and anyone training with me, body shields and hand targets for the same. Ideally, I would be able to 'crane' hanging heavy bags into place, but tracks/slides would require too much maintence. Makiwara. Basic weight conditioning equipment, probably, though I would prefer a proper setup in a seperate room. Also, quick-release bamboo stands and paper stands for cutting. Ready access to bamboo, preferably a garden out back. A medkit with extra provisions for dealing with cuts and punctures. Probably a lot of other stuff too, but that strikes the mind at the moment.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Big open space, hard floors, high ceilings, heavy bag in one corner and a big heavy wooden pole in the other corner that is much like a tree.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first thought is "It's not big enough!" :D. I don't know, this is such an anti-sword arts thread, you should all be ashamed of yourselves :harrumph: :lol:. Can we have it 40' in at least one dimension (and no I don't mean height :))? A number of kata require seven steps and I don't fancy burying my katana in the wall.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was going to suggest a fencing piste. Then I saw that it was less than ten meters on a side :(

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright, for you sword-weilding whinners, 40' x 40':wink2:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Alright, for you sword-weilding whinners, 40' x 40':wink2:

40'X40' :eek:

Well then that changes everything for something that big I want a big open space, hard floors, high ceilings, heavy bag in one corner and a big heavy wooden pole in the other corner that is much like a tree.... oh and a go-cart :D

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first thought is "It's not big enough!" :D. I don't know, this is such an anti-sword arts thread, you should all be ashamed of yourselves :harrumph: :lol:. Can we have it 40' in at least one dimension (and no I don't mean height :))? A number of kata require seven steps and I don't fancy burying my katana in the wall.
That's what i've got a big *** backyard for! Three city lots with a privacy fence! It's where me and the boys do stick fighting in the summer, while the gals BBQ and watch from lawn chairs!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off, I want to thank all contributors to this thread for managing to make me crack a smile for the first time this week (don't ask, it's not been great ... but better than for some as I have found via much e-mail comms).

On topic, assuming a space big enough for the purpose, I require only:

heating/air con suitable for the season

a floating floor capable of being covered with canvas (to simulate slippy-or-grippy surfaces)

a small shrine for kamiza would be nice too

Oh, and a cherry tree and some peony plants :D.

A sword-slingers needs are simple you see - space and appropriate temperature (and wood paneling and shoji screens and tatami floors and ... )

EDIT: Mac, I forgot to say that I have a serious case of 'Yard Envy' from your description :).

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been reading the thread with interest today. I am moving back home to West Michigan and it looks like the house we are looking at has a 30 X 48 two story barn that I am going to use for this purpose. Great ideas, and can't wait to get back to Gods country.

My needs are simple for a training area.
Rack for the "tools/toys" on the wall.
AC unit for the really hot days
Decent lighting
Maybe a carpeted area for a touch softer landing. (Don't bounce back up quite as well at 44, as I did at 22.)
Would like a few general exercise tools on one end. Like a treadmill, heavy bag, some free weights, etc....

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
CCTV including infra red for safety in low-light exercises

I don't understand this one. This is for playback of video of some sort? Or for video capture from a camera?

Video cameras mounted such that ALL angles can be seen and video taped would be useful sometimes. Sparring and Forms could be recorded, as well as boon-hae / Hae-Sul, and then reviewed, and/or hosted on the internets for review by others.

Audio capture could be done with just a simple mic.

Also, one of those contraptions that hold boards for you to break, as well as some of those "re-breakable boards" that you can bust apart and then slide back together -- environmentally friendly.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No a/c - train for the situation as it is - not what you wish it was... and as I get older I (read my joints) love the heat and humidity.

in one corner (about 6' off the corner) a heavy bag on a chain
in another corner (again ~ 6' off the corner) a speed bag
in another corner (same spacing) a wave bag.
in the last corner (same spacing) a board holder for breaking.
rack on any wall for katana, bo, 'chucks, broad swoard
mirrors on two walls.
3/4" thick puzzle matting on the floor.
stereo system for aerobics sessions

Latest Discussions