Empty Hand or China Hand ?

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thought I would throw this one out there for a discussion. I was wondering when a student asks you what kara-te means what definition you give them? We all know the "modern" day or accepted definition of kara-te is empty hand. This I believe was changed when Funakoshi Sensei went to main land Japan and wanted kara-te to be accepted by the Japanese. Before that however I believe kara-te was referred to as Tang Hand or China Hand giving recognition to the Chinese roots in kara-te. My question being do you recognize both definitions of kara-te or just one?

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually give them both. I have them study the history of karate very closely. I want them to know more than the superficial that most see or learn. They need to see how things have changed and adapted to what we study today.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
We recognize both. History is not something we spend a lot of time on in the dojo (some instructors know a lot more than others), but new students will be told the meaning of such terms.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We only use one, "China Hand". In fact, our art is called Tang Soo Do. However, Moo Duk Kwan changed the name of their art to Soo Bahk Do or "hand foot way."

Anyway, IMHO, "Empty Hand" really limits what "Kara-te" is all about. When Funakoshi sensei took Te to Japan, the Island nation already had numerous weapons and empty hand arts that people identified with. In fact, the samurai arts, in those years, were being nationalistically worshipped.

IMO, in order to present something unique that would not have to compete with existing art, Funakoshi Sensei realized that the focus of Kare-te needed to change. It needed to focus primarily on striking and it needed to eschew the tuite, nage, newaza, and kobudo that were also part of it.

Because of this, I've come to veiw the change to "empty hand" as a negative thing. This change ushered in a shallower, more superficial form of what used to be a well rounded combative art. The good news is that people who learned "empty hand" were very clever and they analyzed there own history AND they have started to incorporate much of what had been dropped for political/economic reasons.

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
At my first school, the empty hand definition was the one that was given. My most recent school recognizes both definitions in it's logo. I would rather recognize both definitions as well. The historical perspectives of the MA is an important learning tool.:asian:

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
At the first dojo I attended it was recognized strictly as empty hand. I was told by multiple instructors there that they had never seen a Chinese style that impressed them. What closed minded fools they are. I think someone needed to do a little more research in that dojo. How do you think Funakoshi Sensei's changing of the name to empty hand went over with the other Sensei of the time on Okinawa. I have heard and read conflicting reports of everything from they all agreed to they were furious with him. Do you also think this contributed to the disdain Motobu Sensei had towards him?

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, the China hand vs. open hand debate is older than Funakoshi - however, when he went to Japan and called Karate "open hand," consistantly using the Japanese characters for open hand rather than China hand, the debate more or less was decided - the other Okinawan masters, though some were loath to do it, ultimately accepted Funakoshi's rendering.

You should look at your school's Japanese or Okinawan spelling and ask which character they use. (Tang Su Do is a different case - it uses Korean script and consistantly uses the character for "China" and the word "Tang," which is associated with China and cannot, in Korean, mean "empty."