Electronic Scoring & New Changes(WTF)

cy1982

White Belt
Reaction score
Electronic is not new but I want to see what some people here think about it.
We started getting ready to implement them us, and we have a pair thats going to be trialed. I am excited at the prospect that other people wont get point off us from kicking the arm and getting a point from the sound.
It changes a lot of the way people will have to score.

Also New changes supposedly I heard, maybe old to some of you is
the 10m diameter circle arena(this one seems just about to happen), and a intresting new point addition is adding +1 point if its a jumping executed kick :eek:(this one to see!) (so 3 for head and 2 for body).

Anyways wanted to see what other people opinions and if they heard these as well.

For competive taekwondo, im glad

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been a bit wary of electronic scoring systems ever since the Fencing fiasco at the 1980 Olympics (the Russians had rigged the equipment to register a hit for their competitors if the point of the sword came within a certain range of the opponent). But I really cannot see an alternative if you want to take the subjectivity and potential bias of judges out of the equation. I would be interested as to how your trial goes.

A change to the scoring system and a reliable way of recognising points scored will definitely change the way people fight. It may make them more cautious, it may make them more subtle, it may make them go at it like a bull at a gate.

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
and a intresting new point addition is adding +1 point if its a jumping executed kick :eek:(this one to see!) (so 3 for head and 2 for body).

That should help make it more attractive to potential spectators.

I don't offhand see any strong negatives against it for the
competitor. Would it invite more injury or poor sportsmanship?
Would it change strategy much or give a clear advantage to
some identifiable class of competitor? ("People who can jump"
does not really constitute a particular class; jumping is part
of the standard skill set.)

Seems to me that it might be similar to when the NBA added
the 3-point field goal.

I don't expect it would change the nature of our sport as
much as, say, allowing knees and elbows to score would.

However, the jump bonus would add another instance
in which judge intervention would be required in an automated
electronic scoring system. (I wouldn't trust an accelerometer
to determine whether an attacker was airborne at the time
of their kick, or whether it was even a foot.)

What if you deliver two scoring kicks to the head on a single
jump? Would that be one bonus for the jump (2+2+1) or
one jump bonus each on the two kicks (2+1+2+1)?

Would having a jump bonus open the gates for proposals of
a bunch more "bonus point" techniques? (Like...I don't know
..."Five point bonus if you knock your opponent up into the
air and deliver two solid kicks before she lands.")

Dan

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like the electronic system but what I see happening with also the 7 point difference system will be that a lot of people will just keep attacking until they score the 7 points and depending on how hard you have to hit the hogu it can turn out just as bad as it is good.

Tyler1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The ref's and corner judges at the events I participated in did not score well at all, I thought they actually tried to keep it close in points after watching the video of the fights. I think an electronic system would get me more interested in sparring at tourney's. Longer fights, with scoring with a controled backfist would make it a lot more fun also.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem right now with them is price, they are so damm expensive. Addidas or Macho is $300.00 and more for one. Until they get the cost down people and tournament directors just cannot afford to have them. The concept is great and the way you can adjust the power of a kick to register is fantastic and it does take out human errors.

OP
C

cy1982

White Belt
Reaction score
Supply and demand will eventually take care of it. WTF itself is big enough with enough money making dojo I find to be able to make production cheaper in the end for the smaller dojo\less profiting seeking dojo.

And Tyler1! I Feel you! :)