Dropping the Trapping in JKD

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've talked to alot of JKD Concepts guys and some of the PFS (Progressive Fighting Systems) guys and alot of them tell me that they dropped the Wing Chun trapping, and that they work on clinch work and dirty boxing.

When I had a JKD Concepts lesson earlier this wek, they focused alot on closing the gap, and getting into a greco roman wrestling clinch, followed by punches and other strikes.

A PFS guy on ********* told me who they dropped trapping at their school. What do you JKD guys (both Orginial and Concepts guys) think about dropping the trapping in JKD?

hungfistron

Green Belt
Reaction score
Learning the basics of trapping is one of the main reasons I began to study Wing Chun. Im curious to learn why the students that you speak of have decided to disgard this part of the system...

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Because they feel (and sorta me too) that it's just not effective in a fight wheather it's a street fight or a ring fight. They feel learn the clinch range is much for effective, and JKD is all about simplicity and effectiveness.

simplicity

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are three "So Called Ranges in JKD"......BL called them Long - Med. - Short, trapping can be in all ranges of JKD.....It can happen in
engagement or disengagement.....The five ways of attack, can prove what I'm talking about......From my experience, most people think of trapping the wrong way.....JKD trapping isn't the same as WC trapping, first of all......So this is where the mis-understanding starts.....Then most people that say "trapping doesn't work", never spent the time to discovery the fruit of "IT"......Not all but some.....In JKD trapping we don't look to trap, a JKD man or women is always thinking of hitting.....In JKD trapping, it shall happen in the moment of "time and space", there will be a hit before and after......Think of touching something hot....Do you start to smell your flesh burning before you remove it? I think not!....Why is that? Well because it took you one time before to "FEEL" pain from heat, once your
nerviest system puts it that in, it will become second nature to you.......Just like trapping, once your nerviest system has it there, its there forever.......You will respond like an echo.......The nerviest system will repond before your thought even has a chance......Something to think about people, no?

Have A Great Weekend! :)

Keep "IT" Real,
John McNabney

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where I study PFS there's trapping but also a lot of clinch work (R.A.T.). Studying Wing Chun greatly improved my trapping!

gino

White Belt
Reaction score
sounds kinda fishy to me...in any pfs or jkd I have seen..its basic j/f kickboxin till they attack,once they attack,you break down into the trapping,then clinch.. headbutt,knees,takedown,etc..etc.. but I think there are always gonna be people adapting in their own ways because for starters thats JKD, but for others maybe staying in the trappin range isnt easy for them... even tho they train and become instructors in "JKD" trappin isnt their strong point...so what then do they do?...evolve it to fit themselves,...and then train it to their students in the same fashion.....its just an idea...all in all its ok because I believe bruce knew that adapting was key..i just think he didnt want anybody to do but him... I think people need to get back to the basics of what JKD is..which is the ingenius defense,quick effective attacks,making trapping recognized,body movement and understanding ones body to create speed and power instantly,and I think the most important thing of all "commonsense fighting"... People are gonna take these basics and mold it to fit one another..its whats so great about this style, concept or whatever name you give it...

rogerclf1

White Belt
Reaction score
trapping in jkd is very important because it takes 1 of the attackers weapons away while you hit. It is offensive and defensive at the same time. If you evade to the side and trap you take away all weapons for a second, but plenty of time where you should be able to take care of the problem.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even though I do not practice JKD. (though I have trained with Danny Inosanto so many times I cannot remember how many) I use trapping and have used it to arrest people.
icon6.gif

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
I figure, if you don't like trapping, then don't trap. I personally think it should still be taught, because it may work for somebody else.

Secondly trapping doesn't appear to work to a lot of people in sparring, because it's akward to trap with boxing gloves on. Clinching on the other hand is easy and effective with gloves on.

It's like disregarding biu jee because the boxing gloves don't let you get in a good poke to the eyes.

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most people don't trap because it takes time to execute it properly, the it will not work in a fight is BS. if you put in the time it can be effective, but if you choose to not then thats your choice

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropping trapping in Jeet Kune Do - The Way of the Intercepting Fist ummm... LOL Maybe that is why "one system" broke into "two systems."

If we trap, we trap. If we don't, we don't. Thats the answer. Use what is appropriate but why associate with a "label that lost it's association."

What if I decide to drop the clinch because I don't want to grapple? Then I drop the low line kicks because I'd rather use my hands. Then I drop the five ways of attack because I don't want to fight... LOL

jeff5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The great thing about JKD is that it gives you freedom. If trapping doesn't work for you and if you prefer the clinch and plum, do that. I've seen a wide variety of skills when it comes to trapping, some really good and some horribly bad. Think on this as well. The goal isn't to trap its to hit. Trapping clears the obstacles out of the way, and ties up the opponent at the same time, but if you seek to trap, you've already failed. You should seek to hit. Someone else here just said it, but its worthwhile to explore some Wing Chun if you really like trapping and want to make it better.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i believe that wc uses a system of four quadrants as targets. as in higher lower left right. im thinking that that system is very suited to trapping. actually, even without physically trapping the person, effective use of this system will trap the person through effective positioning alone.

j

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
The great thing about JKD is that it gives you freedom. If trapping doesn't work for you and if you prefer the clinch and plum, do that. I've seen a wide variety of skills when it comes to trapping, some really good and some horribly bad. Think on this as well. The goal isn't to trap its to hit. Trapping clears the obstacles out of the way, and ties up the opponent at the same time, but if you seek to trap, you've already failed. You should seek to hit. Someone else here just said it, but its worthwhile to explore some Wing Chun if you really like trapping and want to make it better.
You are right! The problem is in the teaching of JKD. My JKD is not your JKD but a JKD instructor is obligated to teach the JKD student the core JKD system and the "student" will liberate themselves. We are "pointers." nothing more, nothing less.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are betting another main division of JKD out there from the first big split of "original vs. concepts" groups. Now, you are also getting a big splinter group calling themselves JKD, but in reality they teach MMA and their curriculum reflects that.

The other thing I have noticed is "how" people define trapping. Many people look at a Chi Sao drill and then say it would never work in a real situation. Not realizing it is a drill used to impart certain things, and that it is only a small part of what trapping is or can be used for in a fight.

To say that you are going to drop trapping completely from JKD seems odd to me. Wouldn't it still come into play as a way to bridge the gap and clinch a little bit more safely if you understand body weapons and how they will be used against you when you close in on your opponent?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are betting another main division of JKD out there from the first big split of "original vs. concepts" groups. Now, you are also getting a big splinter group calling themselves JKD, but in reality they teach MMA and their curriculum reflects that.

The other thing I have noticed is "how" people define trapping. Many people look at a Chi Sao drill and then say it would never work in a real situation. Not realizing it is a drill used to impart certain things, and that it is only a small part of what trapping is or can be used for in a fight.

To say that you are going to drop trapping completely from JKD seems odd to me. Wouldn't it still come into play as a way to bridge the gap and clinch a little bit more safely if you understand body weapons and how they will be used against you when you close in on your opponent?

You touched on something very serious. When they say they don't or can't trap. They probably don't know what trapping is!

turbo1975

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Trapping is not just hand trapping. If you read at the Tao it is includes Clinch arm pinning, foot pinning. Trapping is also used in Grappling. Everytime I pin an arm for a triangle or pass you are using trapping. JKD today does not limit trapping to pak sao, lop sao.

Trapping has evolved....this is JKD.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've talked to alot of JKD Concepts guys and some of the PFS (Progressive Fighting Systems) guys and alot of them tell me that they dropped the Wing Chun trapping, and that they work on clinch work and dirty boxing.

When I had a JKD Concepts lesson earlier this wek, they focused alot on closing the gap, and getting into a greco roman wrestling clinch, followed by punches and other strikes.

A PFS guy on ********* told me who they dropped trapping at their school. What do you JKD guys (both Orginial and Concepts guys) think about dropping the trapping in JKD?

Same thing with Straight Blast Gym. They droped the Wing Chun years ago and added greco roman and muay thai clinch tactics to replace them.

Trapping in wing chun is useless against a qualified greco roman wrestlers. Really, it's useless against most people.

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
Same thing with Straight Blast Gym. They droped the Wing Chun years ago and added greco roman and muay thai clinch tactics to replace them.

Trapping in wing chun is useless against a qualified greco roman wrestlers. Really, it's useless against most people.

Dunno about that. From my own experience and my friends' experience traditional WC based trapping works very well on traditional / classical styles, like TKD.

Since most martial artists are still doing traditional styles, I would think trapping would work against them.

Granted, trapping probably won't work against a greco or BJJ guy, especially if you play their game (no biu jees). But most people aren't them.

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
^^^
also trapping can be utilized while on the ground and who's to say that ST Blast Gym's way of doing things is the bench mark for how all jkd'ers should train.

I have nothing against them and from what i've seen, they are quite prolific at what they do and it's effective for them.

Latest Discussions