DragonBall Z/Martial art anime

B

Battousai

Isn't DBZ the best? Does anyone else have any anime that ranks up their with it?
Seriously, after watching DragonBall Z I'm incredibily motivated to train and dye my hair blond. Anyone else have this sort of reaction?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Battousai

Isn't DBZ the best? Does anyone else have any anime that ranks up their with it?
Seriously, after watching DragonBall Z I'm incredibily motivated to train and dye my hair blond. Anyone else have this sort of reaction?

I like DBZ for just some mindless, fun entertainment. Hell, look at my avatar, fercryinoutloud.

It doesn't really inspire me to train...like I said, it's just mindless fun for me. Besides, I look freaky enough as it is...dying my hair blond will only serve to make things worse. Much worse.

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We seem to have a good number of members here who are into Anime. I've had the sword bug bite me after watching "Kenshin", and have found inspiration from "Arcadia of my Youth" (The subtitled version. The Dub sucks).

Anime/Martial arts seem to mix well together, if at times a bit on the 'no way in hell' way. :)

If you're an Anime fan, please check out my Anime/SciFi forum. Its a bit light on members, but we've tried to keep things going. The more the merrier. :)

http://forums.rustaz.com

:asian:

OP
B

Battousai

Hmm, I should try to find a Kenshin Avatar picture, being Battousai the manslayer... But Cthulhu has the best, I love Vegeta.
But really, Dragonball has some really cool training concepts, training like Piccolo has tons of advantages. Someone mentioned it in the forms training thread...

OP
S

Shinzu

i just began watching it but it seems very cool.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've watched DBZ for a while. I liked the first few seasons, but the formula started wearing really thin for me towards the end.

Way too much staring, powering up, and talking about the upcoming fight. Very little actual fighting IMO. I'm starting to enjoy Dragon Ball more. Toriyama's humor pokes through a lot more there.

OP
D

DJDragon

The Street Fighter II V animated series are my favourite. They focused alot on how a martial artist should be. Accepting of other ideas/styles/techniques. They also had a emphasis on training, meditation and a spiritual side as well as chi.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love Anime but DBZ is one of very favorites!!! Veggiechan...Uh, I mean Vegeta :eek: is my favorite character.

Robyn ;)

OP
M

Master of Blades

I was into DBZ for a while. It was fantastic. I enjoyed the Frieza saga so much.....until they played it again.........again........and again..............AND AGAIN! Thats the problem with down here in Britain, Cartoon Network dubs a new saga, gets half way through, and then goes back to the Frieza saga! Ive seen the damn sage about 7 times! They got up to the Fight between Vegeta and Goku in the Buu Saga and then started from the Freeza! But other wise its cool. I also like the whole Street Fighter series! On the other hand The Jackie Chan series sucks!

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I LIKE the Jackie Chan cartoon series! To me it's just fun to watch (like while I'm eating or something) but even then....it doesn't compare to DBZ but then again...what does!

Robyn :asian:

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Battousai

Hmm, I should try to find a Kenshin Avatar picture, being Battousai the manslayer... But Cthulhu has the best, I love Vegeta.

It looks like the avatar you already have IS Kenshin, Battousai. I agree, Cthulhu does have one of the best ones! :D

Robyn :borg:

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by The Opal Dragon
I LIKE the Jackie Chan cartoon series! Robyn :asian:

.......................:shrug:

Whatever rocks your boat! by the way, is it me or do very few people know how to edit there posts? Or is there just a big "raise your post count" scandal going on? :asian:

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it must be a big "raise your post" scandle. I didn't think about until you mentioned it actually. For the record I think this is the only time I've posted twice in a row. That's only because I'm an airhead and I forgot that there is an edit option. :erg: Thanks for reminding me.;)

Robyn :asian:

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ahh I couldn't love Kenshin more. I love old japanese fighting anime's like ninja scroll.

The only thing is that the OVA's of Kenshin were so good and the series is alright. I mean he would cut through like 3 feet of concrete with an unsharpen'd sword? :)

That takes some skill.

OP
W

WaterCircleHarmony

Just to let u know the DBZ we get in Britain is majorly cut and censored. The stuff they used to show in hong kong was on after midnight!!

OP
W

Wertle

I'm a bigger fan of Dragonball than DragonballZ, just because I prefer them actually going out on adventures and doing things, rather than devoting entire episodes to powering up, or taking 20 episodes to defeat one enemy. My attention span is just too short x_x

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Carbon

Ahh I couldn't love Kenshin more. I love old japanese fighting anime's like ninja scroll.

The only thing is that the OVA's of Kenshin were so good and the series is alright. I mean he would cut through like 3 feet of concrete with an unsharpen'd sword? :)

That takes some skill.

Skill, speed, strength, a sharp sword, and....a great special effects team. :)

I've been watching a lot of Kenshin myself lately...even saw that someones come up with a real 'reverse blade sword'... I'd get one just for yuks if I had the cash to toss away.

OP
T

tunetigress

My daughter Tashtigress, now 10, has been a total anime addict since she was 5 or 6 years old. I think that was what first inspired her to want to take Karate in the first place. My problem with anime and my kid, is that 'cartoons' such as this can really fool parents, as many parents assume that cartoons are kid's shows, and much of anime is anything but kid stuff! I have to oversee Tashtigress' video renting and TV watching, and have often ended up watching something with her in order to screen her viewing. In the end, we have both ended up watching what she's rented, then I get some heavy duty explaining to do afterwards, lol! We both enjoy DBZ and Tash would also like to say that she thinks that Digimon is a good one for little kids to watch. :)

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The problem with that is, is that real "Anime" like Kenshin OVA's and others like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, Eva's, Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing.

All have serious plots and are some comedy but are mostly based around a serious plot that I think a 10 year old can't fully enjoy until she is older.

Does she watch Sailor Moon? I think alot of the younger people like that :p

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sailor Moons pretty heavy at times....just have to get a good sub version, not the crappy 'dumbed down' american version. (I did Tuxedo Mask in a costume competion a few years back...) ;)
(See http://rustaz.com for more info/yuks)

The problem with -alot- of the anime i've seen is that, yes its got a plot, but I'll be damned if I can follow it. Sometimes, things really get lost in the translation.

Sadly, for every Kenshin, theres a Pokemon which blows by it in the chibi sales. Of all the ones I've seen, Kenshins probably the most accurate in showing a martial attitude, and being 'realistic' in both the implementation and the results of combat.

Latest Discussions