Down block defense against shoot attack

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
All, I'm going to be involved in helping a Tae Kwon Do class with practical applications to form motions. So I was just brainstorming some different ideas about (modifications to) existing motions that could be practical although not necessarily what is considered

One early motion is called a "down block" it's basic 'official' usage is a block against a strike mostly to the thigh as you bring the arm down to use the forearm to block. ( it can also provide some midline defense against lower strikes)

What ran through my mind was to use the sweeping motion of the arm to sweep the arms of a single-leg or double leg (shoot) takedown attempt, basically to redirect the grab before you can get the hands behind the thighs

So I thought I'd ask those who train this a lot of that seemed a reasonable defense against a trained or untrained attacker.

Note 1- I have had some BJJ training so some concepts of shoots and sprawls is familiar to me

Note 2 - I'm willing to take seriously mechanical modifications to what it normally done with a down block as we often consider modifications to form motions for sake of practical application

Thanks

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that a downblock would help in sweeping away the hands on a shot. If they are reaching that much then they are too far away anyway. Perhaps if the arm movement is included with a sprawl it could be interpreted as a catch, and could be used to gain an underhook. Truth is that I'm not much of a wrestler, and am bad at defending these things, so I hope you get some better suggestions.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that a downblock would help in sweeping away the hands on a shot. If they are reaching that much then they are too far away anyway.

True, if the hands are close to the body because you're trying to get the shoulder in as well (basically hit with the shoulder at the same time as the hands make the grab to the thigh(s)), then the hands aren't going to be out exposed where the can be easily swept aside like that

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that a downblock would help in sweeping away the hands on a shot. If they are reaching that much then they are too far away anyway. Perhaps if the arm movement is included with a sprawl it could be interpreted as a catch, and could be used to gain an underhook. Truth is that I'm not much of a wrestler, and am bad at defending these things, so I hope you get some better suggestions.
Well... if you hammer the side of their head as their coming in, it'll probably have a detrimental effect on their shoot...

I'd say give it a try for real, and see how it works. That'll tell you better than guessing here will.

Though I can't help but wonder just how much of a modification you can make and still call it a down block...

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It can be used but another aspect that also helps is the front stance - at least I seem to remember doing the front stance with the downward block in the first form I learned in TKD but, admittedly, I've been out of TKD for quite a while so my memory may be hazy.

Anyway, if you sweep the incoming arm off line then that's one way to counter the shoot. Another, though, is to drop your center with the front stance (might have to modify it to get deeper in some cases) now use your "block" arm to under hook one of the attacker's arms (usually the one nearest your "block" arm). This prevents or, at least, delays him closing his hands around your thighs. Once there, you can pivot off line and end up in good position for a lot of things. The first that comes to mind is a throw we call "puter kepala" (head turning) in Silat - Aikido calls it "kaiten nage."

Here's a video of me teaching the throw (though from a punch not from a shoot) at a seminar:
and here's video of an Aikidoka doing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1LQDvf3r4A&feature=related

But at the position you're in after hooking that arm you can do sweeps, chokes, throws, locks or strikes.

This is a little off-topic but tangential to the bigger picture you're talking about: A common technique I show for the downward block when I'm talking to people with a TKD background and I'm helping them understand how to find their own applications in the material they already know is this scenario. Your opponent has launched a straight kick at your knee - either a front kick or a side kick. You step into the front stance - that alone is sufficient to protect your knee against that type of attack and that means your "block" can do something else. Use your "block" to strike the kicking leg. I like to aim for points in the thigh - hit hard enough and I can "charlie horse" their thigh and affect their mobility.

Hope that makes sense.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here's a video of me teaching the throw (though from a punch not from a shoot) at a seminar:
and here's video of an Aikidoka doing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1LQDvf3r4A&feature=related
I learned the same technique in combat sambo and I've had a decent degree of success using it to stop takedowns. With that being said you can't really do it statically like you would with a downward block because you step around you opponent. It's worth a shot though.

Nice vids BTW.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well... if you hammer the side of their head as their coming in, it'll probably have a detrimental effect on their shoot...

Yeah, that was my secondary thought after I posted... try to hit the neck as well.

I'd say give it a try for real, and see how it works. That'll tell you better than guessing here will.

I will, but right now the only partner I have to work with his my son, who's had the same training as me, as in we are both beginners at BJJ so I also wanted to get feedback of those with more experience

Though I can't help but wonder just how much of a modification you can make and still call it a down block...

*shrug* I'm actually more interested in motions more than techniques :) If the gross motions can be refined to something useful that ends up being a different technique, that's useful to me.

It can be used but another aspect that also helps is the front stance - at least I seem to remember doing the front stance with the downward block in the first form I learned in TKD but, admittedly, I've been out of TKD for quite a while so my memory may be hazy.

Pretty much what I'm going from :)

This is a little off-topic but tangential to the bigger picture you're talking about...

Yeah, short circuiting the attack and countering with a strike (TKD has a philosophy that a block is an attack against the opponents weapon)

Thanks all so far

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned the same technique in combat sambo and I've had a decent degree of success using it to stop takedowns. With that being said you can't really do it statically like you would with a downward block because you step around you opponent. It's worth a shot though.

Nice vids BTW.

Same here, I learned a variation of that shoot-defense wiht some minor foot work variations

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure an actual down block is going to work.
1. We don't teach to shoot in blind. Meaning we just don't shoot in. You have to use level changes. Fake a punch to the face and then shoot.
2. you are trying to keep them from getting close to the legs to begin with. You would more then likely use more of a palm heel or a stiff arm in football to do that. A downblock could be this if it travels more out away from the body, instead of an arc close to the body.
3. You could use the down block to use as a cross face. It's important that they drop their weight and sprawl on the attacker. If they remain standing up, it is easier to get you down.
4. Once I have sprawled, strike to the back of the head is a great shot to K.O them

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not sure an actual down block is going to work.
1. We don't teach to shoot in blind. Meaning we just don't shoot in. You have to use level changes. Fake a punch to the face and then shoot.
2. you are trying to keep them from getting close to the legs to begin with. You would more then likely use more of a palm heel or a stiff arm in football to do that. A downblock could be this if it travels more out away from the body, instead of an arc close to the body.
3. You could use the down block to use as a cross face. It's important that they drop their weight and sprawl on the attacker. If they remain standing up, it is easier to get you down.
4. Once I have sprawled, strike to the back of the head is a great shot to K.O them

I would agree with this post, having wrestled greco-roman in high school, and now training bjj, I don't think just an arm can effectively block a well timed shot...you simply MUST move your feet. You could certainly use the forearm to push down on the back of the neck in conjunction with a sprawl or an evansion to the side...never tried that.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Personally, I see labeling as one of the big problems in a lot of martial arts training.

We have to label things in order to communicate them more easily - as humans we are used to dealing with labels and are comfortable with them.

Think about this, though, if I point to a tree and ask you what it is, you will say, "A tree." That's a label. As I said, we have to use these labels - imagine trying to describe everything in more detail all the time. And where do you stop? Imagine, for instance, trying to describe everything (including people and cars) in terms of its chemical makeup. So, yes, labeling is necessary.

But, at least in martial arts, it can also get in the way. Label can turn into "concrete shoes" that drag us down and drown us in a mire of filtered perceptions. You look at a movement in a form and see only the label. It's a block or a punch or a kick.

But really it's just a motion. That motion can be applied in many ways. If you get hung up on the label, though, then you are limiting your own perception.

I had been exposed to this mindset previously but didn't really understand it until I started training in Silat. In Silat we have what we call "jurus" (short forms used to develop upper body attributes) and "langkah" (forms used to develop lower body attributes). Our first juru has six positions. The first thing to realize is that the motions between the positions are just as important as the positions themselves. Next we delve into the motions and positions looking for applications. We investigate how each position can be used - as an entry, a strike, a lock, a disarm, a choke, a takedown - each position can be used as any of these. You can find multiple options for each of those for each position. And the same is true for the motions between the positions - the various permutations available in our first juru are finite in number but it's a pretty big number. When you take a longer form - such as a TKD form or a Karate kata or a Kung Fu form ... well, the permutations are still finite but the number is incredibly large.

By ignoring the labels and investigating the motions we are able to find our own expression - find the "art" in our martial art.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The arms aren't what's most important here. It's the legs that make the defense. He'll be coming in with all his weight--a strike is unlikely to stop him from wrapping his arms around your legs. You have to brace/sprawl first if he's gotten to that point.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The arms aren't what's most important here. It's the legs that make the defense. He'll be coming in with all his weight--a strike is unlikely to stop him from wrapping his arms around your legs. You have to brace/sprawl first if he's gotten to that point.
I have to agree. If a guy shoots with good form he's gonna hit you with his whole body at once. One arm is unlikely to stop that.

Also, in response to the idea about striking the head or neck... again if they have good form they change levels with their legs, not by bending at the waist. They will shoot it with head up and the whole body low, so I really don't think that you'll have a good angle to hit them with the down block. The direction of a strike would have to be different.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You would be better off trying to use a knife hand block to help stop the shot. As others have said, knocking the arms away won't do a lot for stopping a takedown, plus a wrestler isn't going to shoot in if they can't reach out and touch you.

If you could teach them to drop back and get a forearm in the neck/chest (knife hand block) to check the wrestlers forward momentum and slow them down somewhat, add in some lateral movement while you're doing it, you can deflect a shot this way.
Tony Blauer's SPEAR system uses something pertty similar to what I'm talking about
he uses it for a bearhug defense in this clip, but if you can shoot your hips back you can use it against a shot.

I think the best thing you could teach them though is how to sprawl properly and incorporate it into their warmups so they get to use it every class (that's what I did). 25-50 sprawls is a great way to get the blood flowin.

YMMV

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They will shoot it with head up and the whole body low, so I really don't think that you'll have a good angle to hit them with the down block. The direction of a strike would have to be different.

Given the orientation of the head as you dscribe here, something like a linear horizontal attack to the face might be successful in this case. Especially if it was an attack that might get them to react in such a way that they instinctively jerk backwards in response to it (as opposed to simple blunt force).

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Given the orientation of the head as you dscribe here, something like a linear horizontal attack to the face might be successful in this case. Especially if it was an attack that might get them to react in such a way that they instinctively jerk backwards in response to it (as opposed to simple blunt force).
True, that would be a better approach, but don't expect stopping power unless you hit them on the button and put them out. Remember they are coming in with their full body mass, even a strong shot will not overcome their inertia. You'll need some sort of foot movement and counter as well.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
well, that's true, but there are ways to elicit an instinctive reaction from the shooter that will make him pull back most of his momentum and balance.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eh...I doubt it. This is a pretty committed move, and they 'll be able to take most blows on the hard part of their skull. Try it against a BJJer or wrestler.

If it were that easy, it'd have made it into the MMA world.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Eh...I doubt it. This is a pretty committed move, and they 'll be able to take most blows on the hard part of their skull. Try it against a BJJer or wrestler.

If it were that easy, it'd have made it into the MMA world.

Either I misunderstood and we are talking about strictly ring-allowed techniques, or you need to "think outside the box", my friend :)

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Either I misunderstood and we are talking about strictly ring-allowed techniques, or you need to "think outside the box", my friend :)

Being in or out of the ring does not magically make a low percentage technique higher in percentage.

The factors that work against this technique in the ring work against it on the street as well. The laws of physics do not change. Forward momentum is forward momentum.