Door-to-door rape prevention programs

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once a year, young women ring my doorbell and try to give me literature for a rape prevention program. Every time they do it, I point out that a young woman, alone, ringing the doorbells of strangers, is not a good example to set when discussing rape prevention. Sometimes they thank me; this evening, the young woman who rang my doorbell got angry, claimed she was with a large group (none of them visible from my door), and then turned her back on me. Is it just me - or is this a bad way to advertise a rape prevention program? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never had a rape prevention activist(?) knock on my door but I do agree with you that it is a poor advertising strategy (as well as poor tactics). Good on you for trying to educate them.

I had a girl, who looked to be about 15, knock on my door once trying to sell newspaper subscriptions. I asked her if she thought it was wise to be knocking on doors in a large apartment complex by herself. After talking with her for a minute or two it seemed like she understood the possible problems.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand the zeal, but the delivery .... I'd want to peruse the pamphlet right then and there to find the undoubtedly included advice to avoid approaching strange homes alone, point it out and give her a lesson on the lawn.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
never had that happen to me.. but my god that is a stupid thing to do!!
tactically and strategically stupid and I hope you go to their headquarters and tell them so!!

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One would think that if your giving out literature on rape prevention you'd do one of the most basic rape prevention techniques and not be alone when you do it :idunno:

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
agreed with everyone else. Not a good way to promote rape prevention. We have a county program that does something kinda like that, but I have never seen then in groups of less then four.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good grief! she's not done one of those womens "self defence" courses that has left her feeling invincable has she? I've seen them, they teach women fairly good techniques but instill in them they can take anyone on with them so are now safe to go anywhere!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I opened this thread thinking the subject was "programs on how to prevent door-to-door rape". It's going to be a long day.

IMO, this is a bad idea. There was a local woman who disappeared a few years ago while canvassing for some political party. If it were me and I absolutely had to go door-to-door (for whatever reason), I would roll the literature into a rubber band and leave it at the door like the "too cheap for direct mail" guys do.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good grief! she's not done one of those womens "self defence" courses that has left her feeling invincable has she? I've seen them, they teach women fairly good techniques but instill in them they can take anyone on with them so are now safe to go anywhere!

That was my first thought as I read this also...

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And yet, as I said, this is the 3rd or 4th year in a row this has happened... and only once has the young woman had a companion - and that was another young woman.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
And yet, as I said, this is the 3rd or 4th year in a row this has happened... and only once has the young woman had a companion - and that was another young woman.

THE MIND BOGGLES!!! :duh::pinky1: I would see if I could get the basic message to their HQ people... but the mind just boggles!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stupid is as stupid does. That's a really stupid thing to do. And to think, a whole organization based on prevention is advocating this method. It's frightening really.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a really stupid thing to do.

It's not THAT stupid. Less than 20% of rapes are committed by strangers. Many thousands of men and women go door to door all over the country for a variety of reasons, and how many are dragged in and assaulted? It must not be that common, I couldn't even find a story about it.

The number one rape prevention strategy, going by the numbers, should be to be careful around your family and to watch who you make friends with!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe you read the pamphlet wrong. Maybe it's a rape PROMOTION program.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe you read the pamphlet wrong. Maybe it's a rape PROMOTION program.

40LB_Rape_box.jpg

Latest Discussions