"Don't run with scissors ..."

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many times have you heard that from Mom and Dad? Bu-uut ...

This thread by Cru brought up a good question in my mind.

How many of you train how to hold a knife when you're on the move so that should you fall you have the minimum risk of damage to yourself or another person?

What is the grip you train with for when you're on the move with your knife out and not fighting? When would that be, you might ask? Oh, perhaps when walking across the floor, or when you've grabbed your live blade and have to give chase?

I think people have differing opinions on how to hold and for what reasons - please share!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How many times have you heard that from Mom and Dad? Bu-uut ...

This thread by Cru brought up a good question in my mind.

How many of you train how to hold a knife when you're on the move so that should you fall you have the minimum risk of damage to yourself or another person?

What is the grip you train with for when you're on the move with your knife out and not fighting? When would that be, you might ask? Oh, perhaps when walking across the floor, or when you've grabbed your live blade and have to give chase?

I think people have differing opinions on how to hold and for what reasons - please share!

In Instinctive Response Training we are always practicing and falling and getting up and rolling with tools in our hands whether they are a knife or otherwise. (sometimes longer tools which can change the dynamics even more) We also practice going into rolls and picking up things on the ground. It does change the dimension but once you are used to it then it just feels natural.
icon6.gif
As to grips well you need to practice with a forward and reverse grip and that way you are pretty well covered.

Speaking of this I once did a demo for some LEO's friends out at a private range where I would roll and shoot or shoot from my back or right after a fall or also after a side breakfall. Always raised their eyebrows because they had never seen anything like it and yes they wanted to learn.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Normal safety rules help. If you're not actually using it, it goes back in the sheath or pocket. If I'm carrying a knife around in my hand it usually goes in a reverse grip along my forearm.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Normal safety rules help. If you're not actually using it, it goes back in the sheath or pocket. If I'm carrying a knife around in my hand it usually goes in a reverse grip along my forearm.

I'm definately will Tellner on this that if you are not using it or not in a dynamic personal protection situation that it returns to it's sheath or pocket!
icon14.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, definitely--or at least gets folded if it's a folder!

You can only train so much for this--it's mostly common sense. The pointy end goes towards the other guy.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Inserting the business end in to the bad guy makes one helluva breakfall ;)

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I totally agree - and have seen students training with live blades walk across the mat, trip and almost fall. I've seen a lady walking with a hatchet trip and fall - fortunately she dropped the hatchet before her face hit the ground.

I've just seen people walk with unsheathed fixed blades, scissors, butcher knives, steak knives ... oh heck we could go on - meat forks, screwdrivers, chisels ... in such a manner that if they fell they could harm themselves.

Think about it - where do your hands go if you fall forward? In front of you, usually, and quickly followed by your face and head.

Brian we do exercises similar to what you describe with trainers.

Anyone else?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nobody has discovered the outer limits of human carelessness.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While moving slow or quickly I tend to carry mine down my my thigh, tip down. Old habit I picked up from when I went to culinary school where that was the mandatory way of carrying your knife.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While moving slow or quickly I tend to carry mine down my my thigh, tip down. Old habit I picked up from when I went to culinary school where that was the mandatory way of carrying your knife.
Blade to the rear ... correct?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nobody has discovered the outer limits of human carelessness.

That's because it hasn't been born yet.

If it had, we'd have a nuclear war by now. :D

Seriously, people are always going to be careless. Don't think there's ever been anyone who hasn't been in one way or time or another. As already shown by this thread, training/practice helps prevent accidents, not all of them because they do happen but it definitely minimizes the possibility.

I've had near misses/stabbings in my early days and have never repeated the actions that led up to them. Been lucky? Or been careful?

I've never ran with my knives (out), never had to when I think about it. But often times the knife/blade goes back into the pocket/sheath when it's not in use like Tellner, Brian and Arnisador has said... force of habit.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Isn't that to protect others (in a crowded kitchen) more than you?

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know ... a couple things I wanted to bring up when someone mentioned they don't run with their knife in their hand;

1. You don't necessarily have to be running with your knife to fall down. Altercations involving knives (from what I have ascertained only through the tales of others - my situation was hardly a 'fight') are usually fast-paced. You could trip over a rock or other unseen object near your feet (or even your very own feet - gah) and fall.

2. If you have to go toe-to-toe with a knife wielder, have drawn as well and find yourself out-classed, the old "nike-do" could serve you well, no? So I wonder about the efficacy of resheathing before you politely bow and excuse yourself before running; you're more likely, I think, to turn and RUN ... whether your knife is out or not.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't that to protect others (in a crowded kitchen) more than you?
That's probably the main reason for it, but if I tripped and managed to stab myself, I'd rather do it in a big muscle than elsewhere.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ya know ... a couple things I wanted to bring up when someone mentioned they don't run with their knife in their hand;

1. You don't necessarily have to be running with your knife to fall down. Altercations involving knives (from what I have ascertained only through the tales of others - my situation was hardly a 'fight') are usually fast-paced. You could trip over a rock or other unseen object near your feet (or even your very own feet - gah) and fall.

2. If you have to go toe-to-toe with a knife wielder, have drawn as well and find yourself out-classed, the old "nike-do" could serve you well, no? So I wonder about the efficacy of resheathing before you politely bow and excuse yourself before running; you're more likely, I think, to turn and RUN ... whether your knife is out or not.

This is very true. But I personally have not come across this situation. I've been in knife fights before (have the scars to prove it) but in each case I was aware always of where the blade(s) were at all times in relation to my own body mass. My aforementioned "near-misses/stabbings" were during practice/training with live blades.
Turning and running like hell (with blade in hand) has been in my experience as well. To the best of my memory the blade ended up back in it's sheath before I realized that it was there. Like I said, force of habit, yea, even whilst running for one's life... (the other guy was pointing a gun).

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Turning and running like hell (with blade in hand) has been in my experience as well. To the best of my memory the blade ended up back in it's sheath before I realized that it was there. Like I said, force of habit, yea, even whilst running for one's life...
Fascinating - folder or fixed? Fixed, I assume ....
(the other guy was pointing a gun).
Good choice, running. :asian:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Instinctive Response Training we are always practicing and falling and getting up and rolling with tools in our hands whether they are a knife or otherwise. (sometimes longer tools which can change the dynamics even more) We also practice going into rolls and picking up things on the ground. It does change the dimension but once you are used to it then it just feels natural.
icon6.gif
As to grips well you need to practice with a forward and reverse grip and that way you are pretty well covered.

You know, I'm feeling like a bonehead right now. I've never practiced my ukemi with a knife. Time to get the chalk on the training knives and give it a go.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing like some good knife trainers that are geared for chalk! Which brand do you use?
icon6.gif
I just use the Cold Steel ones. I have the one of the Recon Tanto cut down to the size of a folder and a couple of others. I think I'll be starting this today.

Latest Discussions