Don't bring a gun to a chairfight

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knowing Judo certainly doesn't hurt :D

But Mr Richardson, a judo expert and father of Leeds Rhinos star Ryan Bailey, refuses to budge and grabs a chair instead.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw this the other day and thought at the time that the fellow was either very lucky that he didn't get shot or very good at reading 'intent'.

If it was a replica firearm then it all makes much more sense now (in terms of the not-getting-shot part).

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah yes, the traditional judo technique of beating the snot out of someone with a chair.
icon10.gif
icon14.gif

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw this the other day and thought at the time that the fellow was either very lucky that he didn't get shot or very good at reading 'intent'.

If it was a replica firearm then it all makes much more sense now (in terms of the not-getting-shot part).

Any or all of these. Another possibility is the way he did it. He just grabbed the chair and delivered the ***-whipping. No hesitation. No woofing beforehand. You could see the robber freeze for a moment as his brain tried to readjust to the new circumstances. By the time scumbag came up with a plan he was well into a lesson on energy transfer in semi-elastic collisions.

"I've got a gun.
I'm pointing the gun at people.
Everyone is doing what I think they should.
There's a guy in my field of view.
He's not cowering.
He's holding a chair.
Huh?"
*WHAM* *WHAM* *WHAM*
"I'm being hit with a chair.
Searching for backup plan."
*CRUNCH*
*SPLAT*

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah yes, the traditional judo technique of beating the snot out of someone with a chair.
icon10.gif
icon14.gif

Isn't that the first tech you learn in Judo? :idunno:

After all, Judo is about "throws" :lol:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't that the first tech you learn in Judo? :idunno:

After all, Judo is about "throws" :lol:

Yeah, I guess I would have expected him to leave the chair where it was and throw the guy at it. :rofl:

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any or all of these. Another possibility is the way he did it. He just grabbed the chair and delivered the ***-whipping. No hesitation. No woofing beforehand. You could see the robber freeze for a moment as his brain tried to readjust to the new circumstances. By the time scumbag came up with a plan he was well into a lesson on energy transfer in semi-elastic collisions.

"I've got a gun.
I'm pointing the gun at people.
Everyone is doing what I think they should.
There's a guy in my field of view.
He's not cowering.
He's holding a chair.
Huh?"
*WHAM* *WHAM* *WHAM*
"I'm being hit with a chair.
Searching for backup plan."
*CRUNCH*
*SPLAT*

That's the best example of breaking an OODA loop I've ever seen!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the bad guy just didn't want to shoot him. A fair number of robbers are not intrested in killing people... but some kill just for the fun of it.

If the rolls were reversed and I was holding a bad guy at bay and he picked up the chair to attack me, well..... this is Spart... I mean Texas.

Deaf

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the bad guy just didn't want to shoot him. A fair number of robbers are not intrested in killing people... but some kill just for the fun of it.

And I think Mr. Richardson knew this. You'll notice he remarked on how he noticed the guy was "walking funny" when he came in, that while Richardson was playing one of the machines. Already cued in on body language and intention. And he took action when the robber was on his way out after a brief personal interaction. I'm guessing he had the guy's measure and had a pretty good idea of what he was capable of.

Nervous Smile

White Belt
Reaction score
I am aware of quite a few kids who smoke pot, but thankfully none of them are as deranged and desperate at this guy. I wish I could shake Mr. Richardson's hand for taking that loon out of commission.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wonder why he didn't just tackle him. After all, Mr. Richardson sure is big enough! A fast rush, grab him by the midsection, pick him up and slam him into a wall or the floor.

Deaf

Nervous Smile

White Belt
Reaction score
From his description he was pretty ticked. I guess he just grabbed what was nearby with the full intent on whaling on the guy. Only once he'd taken a few swings and then closed the distance did he seem to start caring about taking the guy down, which he did.

Nervous Smile

White Belt
Reaction score
From his description he was pretty ticked. I guess he just grabbed what was nearby with the full intent of whaling on the guy. Only once he'd taken a few swings and then closed the distance did he seem to start caring about taking the guy down, which he did.