Dong Style Taijiquan Workshop with Master Alex Dong - August 20-22, 2010

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Master Alex Dong will be teaching Dong Style Taijiquan at the Tai Chi Barn in Tumwater (Olympia), Washington on August 20-22, 2010. This will be the first time in four years that Master Alex has returned to the Olympia area. Therewill be 6 sessions over the weekend and costs range from $45 per session to $240 for all six. See Master Alex's website, http://www.alexdongtaiji.com/olympia2010/ , for more information or contact Andy Holmes at 360-701-3802 or slowset@comcast.net .

The schedule:
August 20, Friday: 2:00 PM to 4:30 PM - Advanced Forms Family Fast Set, 7:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Advanced forms Hao
August 21, Saturday: 9:30 AM to 12:00 Noon - Yang Style Slowset 1, 2:00 PM to 4:30 PM - Yang Style Slowset 2
August 22, Sunday: 9:30 AM to 12:00 Noon - Yang Style Slowset 3/Push hands, 2:00 PM to 4:30 PM - Advanced Forms Weapons

Some biography info from Master Alex's website: Master Alex Dong is a fourth generation Taijiquan Master of the Dong (Tung) family. He started his formal training with his father, Grand Master Dong Zeng Chen at the age of five in Hebei Province, the heart of martial arts in China. In 1983, at the age of twelve, he moved to Honolulu, Hawaii where he continued his training with his father and also studied with his grand-father, Grand Master Dong Hu Ling who had a major influence on his learning.
Alex Dong comes from the lineage of a renowned family of Taijiquan. His great-grandfather, Grand Master Tung Ying Jie was a leading disciple of Yang Cheng-Fu, the main proponent of the modern Yang Long Form. Tung Ying Jie had also studied with Li Xiang Yuan who was a disciple of Hao Wei Jing founder of the Hao style Taiji. Alex Dong's grand-father, Grand Master Dong Hu Ling spread the art in Southeast Asia and the United States.

I've been to 2 of Master Alex's workshops and found them to be very informative and a great workout. It was my attendance at his August 2005 workshop in Olympia that I switched styles of the Taijiquan I was studying.

Hope to see you there!

Fyn

OP
fyn5000

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some updates about the workshop ...

The sessions will be held outside in an open grassy area at the T'ai Chi Barn or upstairs in the converted hay loft. The on-site camping will be at a nice grassy, shaded area next to a small creek on the property (it's a nice area ... my teacher had us practicing there a few times last summer).

Being on the urban-rural fringe, there are usually quail, cottontails, red-winged blackbirds, and deer visiting the area.

Fyn

OP
fyn5000

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just a note to say how the workshop went:

It was a great weekend. Had lots of locals, plus people from California and British Columbia.

The Friday sessions (Family Fast Form and Hao Form) had 20 to 24 people each. The Saturday sessions had more people since they dealt with the first two sections of the Slow Set (Yang Long Form). The Slow Set First Section session had 43 people and the Barn was really packed. The Sunday sessions were on the Slow Set Third Section and Weapons forms. Those sessions had around 20 people in them.

Friday and Saturday night dinner parties were fun (with lots of great food). The Saturday night dinner party was on the beach along Henderson Inlet.

Overall, it went well and Master Alex Dong seemed pleased. Hope he comes back next year.

Photos from the workshop: http://martialtalk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=163

I didn't take any photos of the workshops in session since I was participating in all of them.

FYN

Latest Discussions