Don’t train with idiots!

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, this is a strong statement but let me explain it little more. I have been teaching and training my whole life and one of the biggest lessons I have learnt is that I can choose the people I train or teach!

Today I am quite strict about how I take students into my school. If I don’t like your attitude or you are causing too many problems to other students (or me) then I have to ask you to find another school to train at. (Last time that happened was around 6 month ago)
Now there is of course a huge difference between children and adults. I am very open minded with kids and give them much more freedom. Especially if they are younger kids then you really have to have some patience. With adults I follow some basic rules, here are some of them:

1. If you try to hurt your training partners on purpose then you will be kicked out very fast! (Especially if we train in Hapkido!)

2. If you can’t train with children without complaining and you don’t help them. This is what I call the “idiot test”, if you are a smart, open minded person then you understand that training with kids actually might be a good thing for you. Example: you have to maintain a high level of control with your techniques all the time, you have to be ready because that kid might do some unpredictable moves or doesn’t understand the exercise perfectly yet.

3. If your ego is too big and you are not ready to listen to others then you have to go. I often meet people who are behaving well with me but when there is another instructor (who has less experience than I have ) then those students won’t listen to him or try to do the things he says.

4. If you are an “*******”. (Pardon my bad language but I couldn’t find any better word to describe it) This is obvious and I don’t need to go any further with this.

5. If you are too negative, pitching and moaning all the time etc. Nowadays I have less and less patience with this. I don’t waste your time or my time; it will just take too much energy from me! I understand that there will be a time when the student will feel this way and that’s OK but if it continues for too long then I have to do something about it.

So my conclusion is very simple…

I like to have an environment that helps and supports students. I don’t need people who are bringing things down and I prefer keeping things positive and simple!

These principles have helped me a lot in the last 25 years and my only regret is that I didn’t start to use them earlier!

Any comments?

/Markku P.

Markku Parviainen has studied Taekwondo (WTF) over 30 years and was member of Finnish national team for 10 years. He has a Coaching degree from the Finnish sport institute and has coached the Finnish junior national team. He competed in over 100 tournaments and his best results were a Bronze medal in the European championship and numerous national and Nordic titles. His students have received medals in World championships and European championship games. Currently he lives with his family in Sweden and runs his Taekwondo School in the city of Gothenbourg.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
are you hitting menopause? :D

All kidding aside, those are words of wisdom to live by.
(but you could have put the native bad word in there, carol would have had another term to be corrupted by! ;))

It goes to the core of so many things. But basically, don't waste your time with people who don't bring joy to your life.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
2. If you can’t train with children without complaining and you don’t help them. This is what I call the “idiot test”, if you are a smart, open minded person then you understand that training with kids actually might be a good thing for you. Example: you have to maintain a high level of control with your techniques all the time, you have to be ready because that kid might do some unpredictable moves or doesn’t understand the exercise perfectly yet.

It depends on the advertising and how you promote your class. If you (figuratively) advertise an adult program, honor it. Don't let in 'mature' 14-year olds into the class even they are excellent students who would benefit from the increased contact with adult students. I've seen the rules bent in this way in my friend's school and it definitely bothered a few of his advanced adults who like a fast pace with high contact. Some of them left eventually and now train elsewhere.

If the class is described as a family class or an 'open' class, then obviously people should have no cause for complaint if they are asked to work drills with a child.

3. If your ego is too big and you are not ready to listen to others then you have to go. I often meet people who are behaving well with me but when there is another instructor (who has less experience than I have ) then those students won’t listen to him or try to do the things he says.

There are too many variables here to have a strong opinion one way or another. Does the other instructor teach technique exactly the same as the head instructor? If not, this can be big source of frustration to students, particularly the beginning ones. Does he communicate well, is he professional and a good teacher? People have a wide range of learning styles and can respond more favorably to a particular teaching style. It doesn't necessarily have to be a case of ego if they simply want to focus on what they've learned from one person.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I like to have an environment that helps and supports students. I don’t need people who are bringing things down and I prefer keeping things positive and simple!

These principles have helped me a lot in the last 25 years and my only regret is that I didn’t start to use them earlier!

Any comments?

/Markku P.

Those say about all on the subject. Nice one about training with kids. Man that will develope your patience :)

Latest Discussions