"Dojang sounds funny?"

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our new home has a nice pole barn nearby. I plan to partition a section of it off and make it into a Dojang.

I let my teenage daughter know that once it's done she can put her exercise equipment in the 'Dojang' if she wanted to. She says "it's Dojo dad, Dojang (in southern drawl) sounds funny."

Sigh, teenagers.....

I've told her time and again that the arts I practice are Korean and that the Korean's say Dojang. I've also told her that Dojo is the Japanese version and gave her some history about Japan and Korea.

"Well it still sounds funny."

Sigh...teenagers.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: I feel your pain, good sir :).

She is right tho', dojo does sound better than dojang :grins:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Or, since we all live in English speaking countries, you could say "gym" or "school." Isn't that what "dojang" and "dojo" translate to in English? :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just call it a pole barn. Or does that sound too much like a school for strippers?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or, since we all live in English speaking countries, you could say "gym" or "school." Isn't that what "dojang" and "dojo" translate to in English? :)

I train at a BJJ/MMA/Boxing/Muay Thai gym. The instructors and almost everyone who goes there refer to it as a "gym". When I head out for classes there, though, I always tell my wife I'm going to the "dojo". Old habits die hard ...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Steve Steve Steve…. You BJJ guys really need to get over this inferiority complex you have from so desperately wanting to be like us old school Japanese jiu-jitsu guys…you can use dojo…its ok :uhyeah:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I started doing CKD for a while the word dojang did give me a chuckle so I understand. But hey, I'm a simple guy, it's not garage, it's car hole. It's not dojang, it's karate hole. And non of you are invited to my karate hole!

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Suposed to be House of Learn or School of learning let the games begin??????????

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

that's got my vote

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Karate,
Gi,
Rei,
Kata,
Karate Ka,
Sensei,
Bunkai,
Shodan,
Obi

DoJo

I guess it's all about what you're use to....................... :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about Mr. Instructor's House of Pain? :D

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason I am just now seeing all the replies to this thread so sorry for the late reply. I just want to say thanks for the laughs and ughhh is coffee bad for LCD monitors?

Ya'll know I am from the south so we really say it funny ...like Doh Jang (rhymes with you rang...)

Mr. Instructors House of Pain is most apt I think...though the stripper thing has merit.