Dogs as Fashion Accessories

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OH, the places Paige has been. Like all the top New Yorkers, she dines downtown at Mercer Kitchen, eyes the heart of palm at the deli E.A.T. on Madison Avenue and appraises the calfskin boots at Gucci. “We even drink together,” said Dina Lewis, a real estate agent and Paige’s constant companion.

At Plug Uglies on Third Avenue, “Paige sits on the bar stool and everything,” Ms. Lewis said. “It’s like having a very good-looking, very drunk friend with you all the time.”

Except that Paige is a doll-sized Chihuahua. She travels with her mistress everywhere, scoping out the world from the confines of a Balenciaga look-alike bag.
Full Article.

No matter how cute or little your dog is, do you think they should be treated as dolls to be dressed up and carried around? Even some of the little ones were bred to be working and fighting dogs--the Yorkshire Terrier, for instance, was bred to go down rat holes and get rats.

While I admit, many dogs have a far worse life, and it's good that people treat their pets as family members and spoil them, I wonder how good this trend is for the small dog. Many of which are normally very active breeds and are now confined to laps and travel bags.

What are your thoughts on the new *Doggie Accessory* trend?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find it deplorable - dogs are living creatures, and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, not dressed up like dolls and shown off as acquisitions. How would you like to spend your day - no matter how swank the surroundings - in a bag?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find it deplorable - dogs are living creatures, and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, not dressed up like dolls and shown off as acquisitions. How would you like to spend your day - no matter how swank the surroundings - in a bag?

Opposums, kangaroos and other marsupials do that when young.. just they call it a pouch. They don't seem to mind that much...

My sisters dogs get dressed up occassionally. Some love it, some don't. Those that like it get it often... Too large to be considered an "accessory" or be carried in a bag though LOL

A dog needs exercise and interaction. If stuck in a bag ALL day, then I have issues.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A dog needs exercise and interaction. If stuck in a bag ALL day, then I have issues.

This is my point - many of them are stuck in a bag all day. In addition, as I said, they are living creatures deserving of respect - not fashion accessories to be shown off in an attempt to one-up others, as too many of them are in the so-called "highest" level of the fashion and entertainment industries.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well said Kacey..

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The flip side is, dogs are pack animals and need social interation to be happy and well adjusted. These spoiled little lap dogs do get a great deal of attention and socialization. They obviously need exercise too. My two go with me everywhere I can take them, but they don't fit in bags or like to play dress up, but they are happier when they are involved in my day to day activities.

I see the bigger problem being that in 6 months when these little guys aren't fashionable, there will be a great deal of unwanted dogs ending up in shelters, rescues, or euthanized. Dog ownership is a long term comittment.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is my point - many of them are stuck in a bag all day. In addition, as I said, they are living creatures deserving of respect - not fashion accessories to be shown off in an attempt to one-up others, as too many of them are in the so-called "highest" level of the fashion and entertainment industries.

How many hours a day to some women and men spend primping themselves? how much do some people spend on fashionable clothing and jewelry? Don't some men/women seek "trophy" girlfriends/boyfriends, more concerned about looks that character? Don't people seek the more fashionable/fancy cars rather than the more practical? Isn't this kind of stuff considered an attempt to "one-up" others?

Point being, its not just dogs. Dogs are just one expression of a deeper social issue (that is, if you consider it an issue).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many hours a day to some women and men spend primping themselves? how much do some people spend on fashionable clothing and jewelry? Don't some men/women seek "trophy" girlfriends/boyfriends, more concerned about looks that character? Don't people seek the more fashionable/fancy cars rather than the more practical? Isn't this kind of stuff considered an attempt to "one-up" others?

Point being, its not just dogs. Dogs are just one expression of a deeper social issue (that is, if you consider it an issue).

I never said it wasn't part of a bigger issue - that was what I was referring to when I referenced the "so-called "highest" level of the fashion and entertainment industries". Too many people spend excessive time and money on what is outside instead of inside - that is, in my opinion, a major problem.

Do dogs need social interaction? Certainly - and I spend a lot of time with my dog, making sure he has attention, walks, gets played with, eats premium food - but even if he were small enough, I wouldn't carry him around in a bag. When I was a kid, we had a 12 pound dog, who went everywhere he was legally allowed to be - but it would never have dawned on us to put him in a bag or a suitcase - he was a four-legged, furry member of the family, not a toy, and not an indicator of fashion or status.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see the bigger problem being that in 6 months when these little guys aren't fashionable, there will be a great deal of unwanted dogs ending up in shelters, rescues, or euthanized. Dog ownership is a long term comittment.
Thats so true! I get so upset with this... some dog shows well in a national televised dog show, and there is a rush to get that dog, only to end up in shelters one year later.... its so sad!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that dogs are happier doing "jobs" of some kind. Not much unlike humans, they need to feel utilized.... worth something.

I think that dogs aren't truly happy being treated "like humans" however. They need structure and utilization more then a cute outfit.

I'm not going to pass too much judgement on those with "accessory dogs" because I don't know about their feelings towards the animal and how they are treating it outside of dressing it up and carrying it around. But I will say that it crosses the moral line to treat another living creature like an object; so if that is what they are doing then I think that its wrong.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that dogs are happier doing "jobs" of some kind. Not much unlike humans, they need to feel utilized.... worth something.

I think that dogs aren't truly happy being treated "like humans" however. They need structure and utilization more then a cute outfit.

I'm not going to pass too much judgement on those with "accessory dogs" because I don't know about their feelings towards the animal and how they are treating it outside of dressing it up and carrying it around. But I will say that it crosses the moral line to treat another living creature like an object; so if that is what they are doing then I think that its wrong.

I agree with this. My issue isn't with dressing the dogs up as much as the lack of activity and "jobs" for the dog. Carting the dog around in a bag all day, then taking it out to sit on your lap or a chair next to you as a conversation piece cannot be healthy for the dogs mental well-being. Now, if people choose to do this and then spend time letting the dog chase a ball, play with other dogs or run wild a bit, then there's a balance that makes it tolerable. But I don't get the impression this is the kind of life most of these "accessory dogs" lead.

Latest Discussions