does your religion

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hi all...
i figured since most active threads are religion or politics related that i should post something along those lines!

Does your religion (or a religion you heard of for that matter) promote martial arts or any physical activity, and why does it, or doesnt?

You're welcome to say the name of the religion unless it's a very sensetive matter.

Note to moderators: feel free to move this anywhere you wish. I thought this is about MA's more than religions so i put it here

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
Note to moderators: feel free to move this anywhere you wish. I thought this is about MA's more than religions so i put it here
Your too kind. :) However, I'd agree with you so I'll leave it alone.

Anyway to answer, does bingo count? 'Cause if it does, your right. I'll have to move the thread. Unless of course, you're talking about the ancient deadly art of bingo chip throwing, in which case it can stay.

Sorry mantis. I think what ever mood you were in yesterday rubbed off on me. :rolleyes:

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Your too kind. :) However, I'd agree with you so I'll leave it alone.

Anyway to answer, does bingo count? 'Cause if it does, your right. I'll have to move the thread. Unless of course, you're talking about the ancient deadly art of bingo chip throwing, in which case it can stay.

Sorry mantis. I think what ever mood you were in yesterday rubbed off on me. :rolleyes:
haha..
it's all good... it's good to know someone else gets in that mood too!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, it wasn't me. It was the twin. I let him out of the closet to stretch his legs and look what he goes and does. I locked him back up.

Carry on...

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Actually, it wasn't me. It was the twin. I let him out of the closet to stretch his legs and look what he goes and does. I locked him back up.

Carry on...
you're twin is coming out of the closet?
thanks for sharing :p

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey whatever Gemini's twin does is his business. ;)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See what he starts? jeesh! I moved him to the attic, so no more closet jokes.

Okay. Seriousy. Are you referring to such things as Shaolin Priests or the church that sponsors the baseball team?

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Hey whatever Gemini's twin does is his business. ;)
absolutely
now let's go back to how religions encourage or discourage MA's and physical activities.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I can call it mine, as I'm not fastidious in practicing it....mine (Sikhi) encourages MA.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
If I can call it mine, as I'm not fastidious in practicing it....mine (Sikhi) encourages MA.
my idea isnt finding out who worships who or what, but my goal is to find out if there are religions out there that do encourage or ban martial arts of physical activities, but what makes the answer interesting is the 'WHY'. why would a religion encourage, or ban something like that...
so why?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah! The "why" is because Sikhi has a very strong martial past, and there are many references to Sikhs being warriors. The term "warriors" was meant in a military context (the last human Sikh guru was a general), but also in a civilian context...a Sikh must defend against those that have run out of ways to defend themselves. The faith has quite a bit of martial symbolism through it...and has it's own sword art, Gatka.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brandon Fisher said:
My religious beliefs play a part in everything I do.
well sure, if you are identified as a believer, regardless what you believe in, most likely you will involve your faith in most of your life's aspects. but does your question suggest it, promote it, or encourage it?
why does it? for what purpose?

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure I have always had a strong faith and it affects my choices and my approach to things. Only honest reason I can give is because I was raised that way.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mine seems to have missed the parts of the Bible that say that the body is The Temple of God. I push for more physical activity and so does my wife. We have recently started doing demonstrations for church functions/youth outings. Most of the people in my church are older and they seem to think that eating is an Olympic sport. Over half are obese. BTW- I am an Independant Fundemental Baptist.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
Mine seems to have missed the parts of the Bible that say that the body is The Temple of God. I push for more physical activity and so does my wife. We have recently started doing demonstrations for church functions/youth outings. Most of the people in my church are older and they seem to think that eating is an Olympic sport. Over half are obese. BTW- I am an Independant Fundemental Baptist.
ah. that's a good approach to attract the youth!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I attend a southern baptist church, and they hold a martial arts class there, the class I attend is in a methodist church. I haven't ran into very many problems with the protestants (except maybe some petecostals). That's just my experience. I think for the most part it is supported in this area.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
hi all...
i figured since most active threads are religion or politics related that i should post something along those lines!

Does your religion (or a religion you heard of for that matter) promote martial arts or any physical activity, and why does it, or doesnt?

You're welcome to say the name of the religion unless it's a very sensetive matter.

While Christianity does not expressly promote MA, I would agree that the highest ideals of MA & Christianity co-incide. For example, the tenents of Taekwondo are: Courtesy, Integrity, Perserverence, Self-Control, & Indomitable Spirit. Those are certainly attributes to which Christians aspire.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't see where it is the business of any person in any church when it comes to the practice of martial arts. Many religions are about control and money. They fear outside influences will loosen the grip that many churchs hold over people and their pocketbooks. I don't make decisions based on the opinions of the church pastor.

Sorry if anyone is offended by my views.

Latest Discussions