Documentary on Kendo Hachidan Test

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This webpage has a link to the video of a National Geographic special on what is possibly the world's hardest test, the World Kendo Federation Hachidan (8th Dan blackbelt) test, with a pass-rate of less than 1%. The documentary follows two life-long kendoka, one a former national champion who has failed the test several prior years, and the other a 76-yr-old 7th Dan who is attempting the test for the 20th+ time.

Includes some great kendo footage, and great examples of determination and indomitable spirit.

Link is at the very bottom of the page, but be warned that the video is 85 MB. Enjoy!

Note: This post is dedicated to MT Member Brian R. VanCise. Brian, your search for and contribution of MA video clips online has been an inspiration. Now that I (finally) have broadband instead of dial-up, I can start enjoying them, too!

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I had heard that this was an excellent segment from that NG show.

http://www.evl.uic.edu/spiff/KendoBlog/KendoVideo/
Note: ...Now that I (finally) have broadband instead of dial-up, I can start enjoying them, too!
Believe me, I know the feeling all too well... I just got a broadband connection very recently myself.

It's like entering a new world, isn't it? ;~)

Latest Discussions