Do you prefer learning Korean?

hapki68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here's an issue.

I find it hard to remember the names of all the moves in Korean. Also, I'd prefer to learn the names of the moves in English, because I suspect they're really interesting things, like "Hissing Moth" or "Flaming Ostrich" or whatever.

Other hapkidists will sometimes ask me how my "chok min do" (I made that up) is, but I have no idea which move that is.

Anyone else have a tough time with the Korean? Anyone know if a list of the Korean translated into English exists somewhere?

Patrick

PS... I was a foreign language major... so I'm not bothered by foreign languages. I just like to know what I'm saying.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We learn the names of the kicks, punches, stances, blocks, etc for the purpose of English/Korean association, but I can't say I speak Korean. I do prefer to use them for sparring though. More often than not, I can shout direction to my competitor without the opponent understanding it. You'd be surprised how many do not. I was.

Try this link. I find it helpful.
http://www.zkorean.com/dictionary.shtml

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our Organization is a mix as well.

All of our technique groups are named..but the individual techniques contained in the throwing and locking groups are not,if that makes sense.

Korean terminology is very general in a sense. "Sohn Mok Su/Sool" just means "wrist technique". "Bhang Kwon Sool" means "Defense against punch/fist"..so no "Fiery Aardvark" or "Prancing Llama"..at least not that I've run into, more's the pity. I do know that in the Muye Dobo Tonji,an old Korean Martial Art manual from the 1700's..there are more colorful names given to technique, but I think the majority of those have been lost to time.There is a major reconstruction effort going on to bring back the technique contained therein..but who knows how accurate it really is. Just rambling now...anyhoo....:uhyeah:

I did learn what I could describe as "classroom names" in English for individual technique,however..and I have run into a lot of other people who have as well. :idunno:

What could really help you out is to ask your teacher what he/she calls the technique you learn and where that terminology came from. Never hurts to ask..yes?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to agree - it's difficult for me to learn and everyone seems to have different terms for everything. I asked another KMAists what their Jok Sul looked like (not making it up) and he said, My what?

I can only assume that dialectual differences are vast between villages in Korea ... ????

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I tend to agree - it's difficult for me to learn and everyone seems to have different terms for everything. I asked another KMAists what their Jok Sul looked like (not making it up) and he said, My what?

I can only assume that dialectual differences are vast between villages in Korea ... ????

I hear you there...I think it also might have to do with a student just not having the option to learn the Korean terminology because the teacher teaches only in English. That's fine and great,and I can see the point,but I think everyone should at least have the Korean terms made available to them.They can make up their own minds from there,but at least they'll have the option,no?

I tend to think of it as..if one was to learn Opera,one would learn some Italian. Learning Ballet?French..and so on. In HKD and other KMA it's Korean because *that's where it came from*.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
hapki,

Just remember that son mok soo are wrist techniques, eui bok soo are the clothes techniques, charyat means attention, kyunyi is bow, choonbi means ready, and cijak means go.

If you or anyone else wants a quick korean reference chart go to this site.
http://www.moosulkwan.com/T/00/00SNA.asp?asm=sna&tmp=C011&x=27&sid=45&t=Terminology

Albeit the chart is geared more towards tae kwon do, but the only difference between what is used in hapkido is the son mok soo and eui bok soo. Otherwise it is same same.

Latest Discussions