DK Yoo Awesome Martial Artist? Fighter? hmmm You decide

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
because it is trained in an alive setting and everything that doesn't work in such a setting has been long stripped away.
Rules of boxing has stripped more out of boxing than anything that would be classified as "doesn't work" Back fists used to be legal in boxing along with grappling. There's tons of stuff that is effective that isn't used in boxing.

The problem with traditional styles such as the bulk of CMA is it is trained and passed on with no such pressure testing, and as such remains chalked full of theories, concepts, movements and mechanics that completely fail when the opponent fights back, no matter how long you train them or how good you get at them.
I don't like the term pressure testing because it creates the assumption that a technique doesn't work because it hasn't been tested. If you don't know how to ride a bike, then you don't say, the bike doesn't work because it hasn't been pressure tested. The issue isn't that the bike doesn't work. The issue is that you don't know how to rid the bike.

So this is how I see TMA. The issue isn't that the technique hasn't been tested. It's been tested, which is why it's a technique in the system. The issue is that the student doesn't know how to use it. If you never use a technique in sparring then how are you going to use it in a real fight? TMA practitioners will often try to jump from drill to fighting, and that just isn't going work. Sparring is fighting practice. If I'm not using my techniques in sparring then I'm not practicing to use them in a fight.

The theories, concepts, movements, and mechanics don't fail. It's the fighter that fails. Perfect example, I can fight using the same techniques that people say don't work. Why can I use them but other people cannot? Is it because the technique, concepts, mechanics, and movement's fail? If that was the case then I should fail as well, but I don't. If I can use Jow Ga and someone else cannot, then it's the person that fails not the system.

I don't think I've modified any of my Jow Ga in order to get it to work. The stuff that works is stuff that I gained a better understanding of. The stuff that doesn't work is usually due to my physical limitations or lack of understanding. Then there's a very small percentage that I have no interest in trying to use.

If you watch my sparring videos a lot of what I nail people with are slow punches / kicks with me pulling power from, or redirecting. Even when I was training to be competitive, I wasn't trying to knock my opponent's head off. I was just happy I could relax for once without holding back the techniques. This is why I'm happy about the new gym that opened up. It has some heavy bags and I can start showing some of that power.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
don't like the term pressure testing because it creates the assumption that a technique doesn't work because it hasn't been tested. If you don't know how to ride a bike, then you don't say, the bike doesn't work because it hasn't been pressure tested. The issue isn't that the bike doesn't work. The issue is that you don't know how to rid the bike.

It's a numbers game. So if you go to bike riding school and one guy can't ride a bike. Then it's the guy. If everyone can't ride the bike.

It's the bike.(or the school)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rules of boxing has stripped more out of boxing than anything that would be classified as "doesn't work" Back fists used to be legal in boxing along with grappling. There's tons of stuff that is effective that isn't used in boxing.
To use the forearm to hit on the back of your opponent's head and knock him out is a very effective skill. It's not used in boxing.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So your most convincing bit of evidence that "unmodified" wingchun works is...Joe Rogan talking and the success of two UFC fighters that have never had any training in wingchun.

Hah. K.
Not true. Silva is WC practitioner, but he was UFC champion long before he train started it - since he began his WC adventure he began to lose :) Fergusson is known for very bizzare training methods:
and the wooden dummy is one of them.

But there is Jones in video posted by Oily Dragon as en example of WC in MMA - because he kicks a lot of oblique kicks -what is overinterpretion cause he has neverbeen a chunner.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
So your most convincing bit of evidence that "unmodified" wingchun works is...Joe Rogan talking and the success of two UFC fighters that have never had any training in wingchun.

Hah. K.
Are you challenging Joe Rogan's expertise?

Wing Chun throws elbows. Did you even know that?

Dragon style, but with a taste of Crane, because both have wings.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
But there is Jones in video posted by Oily Dragon as en example of WC in MMA - because he kicks a lot of oblique kicks -what is overinterpretion cause he has neverbeen a chunner.
That doesn't matter, "never been a Chunner". The moves hit all by themselves, the names don't matter.

Bruce Lee said that.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you challenging Joe Rogan's expertise?

Wing Chun throws elbows. Did you even know that?

Ok. It's pretty obvious to me you are just here for a laugh. Carry on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not true. Silva is WC practitioner, but he was UFC champion long before he train started it - since he began his WC adventure he began to lose :) Fergusson is known for very bizzare training methods:
and the wooden dummy is one of them.

MMA does wing chun better.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That doesn't matter, "never been a Chunner". The moves hit all by themselves, the names don't matter.

Bruce Lee said that.

So to learn good oblique kicks do you go to Jackson's gym or a Wing chun school?

That kick has always been a thai technique as well by the way.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chinese dragon doesn't have wings.

dragon.png

Last edited:

Latest Discussions