Disturbing Youth Violence MMA Generated.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
On that note, call me crazy, but it doesn't look too different from UFC to me. I would only hope that the kids that get KO'ed or otherwise hurt went to see a doctor the next day to make sure that all is well, but I doubt they did.

True. I was just curious about their skill level for one, as well as a concern for safety. Sure, if there was an injury, calling 911 is an option, but at least in the UFC there are qualified people right there who can start treatment.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
True. I was just curious about their skill level for one, as well as a concern for safety. Sure, if there was an injury, calling 911 is an option, but at least in the UFC there are qualified people right there who can start treatment.

Precisely.

adamtizzle

White Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone given the thought of entering a competition to do this? I mean, IMHO, its much more safer than what was shown on the clips. If injuries were to take place, was there someone on scene that could provide immediate care?
Christian as well as Cory compete in jiu-jitsu tournaments, christian has won and cory has placed in the top 3 before. If someone was hurt, there was not anyone there to provide help. Although, we were at least using mouthguards and gloves.

If they did know, what do you think their opinions would be?
I don't know, but I have met Christian and Cory's jiu-jitsu instructor and he seemed pretty chill.

Out of curiosity, why were your parents not supportive?? What were the thoughts of your friends parents, seeing that this was held in their backyard, and if by chance a serious injury were to happen, they'd most likely be held responsible? Did anyone ever think of that?
My parents were not supportive because they are both lawyers and know the danger of having these types of fights on your property. My friend's dad (owner of home we had fights at) is a fan of UFC and simply wanted to watch his kids and his kids friends fight, out of entertainment. I believe that they do know about the legal danger, and all participants had to sign a release form saying if they were hurt, their parents would not be held responsible. Although, we are all minors, and those contracts would be void if they were to come into court. I even warned my friend of this, but who cares, we didn't think anyone would get hurt. In fact, we had two other backyard UFC's. In the most recent fights, Tai dislocated his elbow when he was thrown to the ground and landed wrong. Luckily, Tai lives where we are having these fights and no legal issue's ever came up. That was also our last UFC fights, and I guess all of your concern's really are valid.

Out of curiosity, what is the skill level of the people involved? You stated that you are not actively training, but what about the others?
Christian is highly skilled in jiu-jitsu, and has won multiple championships. Cory is mediocre-high at jiu-jitsu, but since has moved away. All of my friends have stopped participating in martial arts except for Christian and Conner, but most of them, including myself, intend to start.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What rules did you put in place about what stops a fight? How much intent to hurt was there?

I'm assuming these where "friendly" matches, basically very hard sparring and everyone would have stopped rather then really try and hurt the other guy?

adamtizzle

White Belt
Reaction score
What rules did you put in place about what stops a fight? How much intent to hurt was there?

We basically said, you give up whenever you want to. There was a ref-type of person who could stop the fight if needed for whatever reason but it was basically just until you give up. Also, no kneeing or elbowing was allowed because those can do a lot of damage.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That's the most important thing, especially since time is always of the essence when it comes to more serious injuries.

I don't doubt that a well-organized tournament that involves full contact, can be safe enough. If anything, I stop by Shihan Yasuhiko Oyama's Knockdown tournament (as a spectator) each year, to watch some entertaining full contact matches.

In their case, though, they have trained medical staff on hand, with at least two licensed physicians that know what they are doing, during all phases of the tournament. The medical staff is well-equipped, and all competitors are health-screened.

Also, the matches are highly regulated. Finally, and equally important, the host (Oyama Shihan) is certainly sufficiently insured.

I strongly doubt that backyard tournaments have the resources to have this kind of care (both medical and legal) available in the event of a bad situation.

Yes it's true, that some people will say "I've been doing these (backyard) events for years, and nobody's ever gotten hurt!" However, those same people fail to realize, that eventually something will happen. After all, it's a contact sport, and you can't avoid the inevitable forever.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Christian as well as Cory compete in jiu-jitsu tournaments, christian has won and cory has placed in the top 3 before. If someone was hurt, there was not anyone there to provide help. Although, we were at least using mouthguards and gloves.

Well, at least some safety measures were in place. However, in any activity, the risk of injury is always present. I just hope that nothing serious happens in the future.

I don't know, but I have met Christian and Cory's jiu-jitsu instructor and he seemed pretty chill.

Ok...so going on this, it seems like he approves.

My parents were not supportive because they are both lawyers and know the danger of having these types of fights on your property. My friend's dad (owner of home we had fights at) is a fan of UFC and simply wanted to watch his kids and his kids friends fight, out of entertainment. I believe that they do know about the legal danger, and all participants had to sign a release form saying if they were hurt, their parents would not be held responsible. Although, we are all minors, and those contracts would be void if they were to come into court. I even warned my friend of this, but who cares, we didn't think anyone would get hurt. In fact, we had two other backyard UFC's. In the most recent fights, Tai dislocated his elbow when he was thrown to the ground and landed wrong. Luckily, Tai lives where we are having these fights and no legal issue's ever came up. That was also our last UFC fights, and I guess all of your concern's really are valid.

I think that your friends parents need to talk with your parents. Seeing that they're lawyers, I'm sure they could educate some of the other parents on the law.

Christian is highly skilled in jiu-jitsu, and has won multiple championships. Cory is mediocre-high at jiu-jitsu, but since has moved away. All of my friends have stopped participating in martial arts except for Christian and Conner, but most of them, including myself, intend to start.

Ok.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
adamtizzle said:
All of my friends have stopped participating in martial arts except for Christian and Conner, but most of them, including myself, intend to start.

Adam, I want to thank you for coming to post your insights on Martial Talk.
I think it shows just as much courage as getting involved in this sort of event.

Good luck with your future training.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, my stand point on this is probably different than alot of others. While the majority of you may see it in a negative light. I'm saying, if it keeps kids from selling drugs, or robbing people or worst... who cares. Better they fight in a semi-controlled setting, than walk around carrying guns shooting each other or something.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, my stand point on this is probably different than alot of others. While the majority of you may see it in a negative light. I'm saying, if it keeps kids from selling drugs, or robbing people or worst... who cares. Better they fight in a semi-controlled setting, than walk around carrying guns shooting each other or something.

That's beside the point. You could say that about pretty much any activity.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

True, but it would be better yet to do these in a completely controlled setting.

They have heart, and that's a good thing.

But kids this age often have the illusion of immortality: "It won't happen to me."

I'd like to see them in a safer environment so if someone DOES get hurt, at least they know they did everything "right" to prevent it.

Cheers! for coming here to provide more info, though, adamtizzle. I hope you decide to pursue the martial arts like your friends.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, dangerous, better with medical staff present and all that.

But...

Is it really anymore dangerous then other, more accepted sports?

I know personally I would feel much safer doing this sort of fighting then I would doing a lot of the skateboarding stuff, or BMX stuff that gets done.

Even other full contact sports, like Rugby have a comparable risk of injury IMO, and if it was teenagers playing rugby that wouldn't be viewed as as big of a problem.

Amazon

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's interesting you state your main style as kenpo, though. I didn't know kenpo trained with realism and aliveness. The schools around here do drills but not much sparring seems like.

That's cool ... the kenpo schools I've gone to around here do mainly static drills and not a lot of sparring.

I study Kenpo and my school provides a dedicated full sparring class every week and there are a minimum number of those classes that one is required to attend before each belt testing.

Judging an entire art based on a few schools around you doesn't sound a very responsible method.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

But...

Even other full contact sports, like Rugby have a comparable risk of injury IMO, and if it was teenagers playing rugby that wouldn't be viewed as as big of a problem.

I think it is. In football & rugby the goal is ball control and scoring goals; bashed faces happen on accident. In MMA bashing faces IS the goal.

I know personally I would feel much safer doing this sort of fighting then I would doing a lot of the skateboarding stuff, or BMX stuff that gets done.

BMX and skateboarding in facilities specifically designed for those activities and wearing the appropriate safety gear (i.e. helmets)? Or street BMX/skateboarding without the appropriate safety gear?

And, again, accidents happen in those sports, but the goal isn't to smash your face.

The goal in MMA is "ground and pound" on the face (at least that is the predominant strategy, and the one that appeared most frequently in this particular video).

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But is it the goal, or the actual risk that matters when determining safety?

There are, IMO, more dangerous activities that have a much greater real risk to them, but would not raise as many eyebrows. Not due to risk, but do to the goal of the activity.

Maybe I just remeber boxing and wrestling with friends too much from when I was young ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

But...

Yes, theres injuries in many sports..football, baseball, hockey, etc. I think what the main concern is, is making sure that people are safe and that there is proper supervision.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe it could be said about anything... but just like any other sport, rebellious youth are always going to find a way to take the "controlled" aspect out of a controlled setting. happens with just about every contact sport. Some people talk about how "some can get hurt", forgetting that its most likely the reason they do it. I'm completely fine with it, better they harm someone with consent, than without.

Latest Discussions