Disturbing Movies

P

Patrick Skerry

The black & white original 1964 THE HAUNTING - gave me nightmares for years.

The remake wasn't that scary.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
KenpoGirl said:
:anic: Seven with Brad Pitt. That was probably the most disturbing movie I've ever seen, and definitely not for a first date. :wah:

Dot
NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!!
That was the 1st movie that I took Melissa to.
MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your Brother
John

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"House of a Thousand Corpses" On a whim,I rented this movie,and I was definitely disturbed. Not in a "OMG!" way,but more in a "What the ..... was that all about!?!" way. Some messed up puppies came up with this one...

B

bluespacething

I don't get easily creeped out by movies. So I haven't seen too many films that have disturbed me. But my friends once were going to rent this movie called Vulgar and the person working at the video store told them they don't want to watch it.

I've heard a few things about Vulgar and this sounds like a truly disturbing and creepy flick. Yeah...if you want to find out more here's the link to it on IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120467/

P

Patrick Skerry

bluespacething said:
I don't get easily creeped out by movies. So I haven't seen too many films that have disturbed me. But my friends once were going to rent this movie called Vulgar and the person working at the video store told them they don't want to watch it.

I've heard a few things about Vulgar and this sounds like a truly disturbing and creepy flick. Yeah...if you want to find out more here's the link to it on IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120467/
That movie can't possibly be for entertainment.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't take creepy movies. I will throw up, have insomnia for a week, jump at anything, have horrible nightmares.

However, for some weird reason, I want to see Ravenous. Don't know why.

S

SMP

Kids - - if you havent seen it dont watch it with your kids in the room ... or your parents

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I found Saving Private Ryan disturbing at the start (Normandy landings section) because I don't think I'd ever seen a film that portrayed war that accurately before, and I really felt like I was crawling about in that sand with them and about to die (kudos to Speilberg).

Clockwork Orange is pretty weird as well, although in a more abstract way.

Ian.

P

Patrick Skerry

The movie: NAKED LUNCH did a good job of weirding me out.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
'Event Horizon' was without a doubt the most disturbing movie I've ever seen......... *shivers* :xtrmshock

A

AnimEdge

I saw Event Horison after hearing how good it was and i was really disapointed though it was bit gory

A

auxprix

Wow. Sorry to say this, but you guys have no Idea.

Try 'Audition' - A Japanese horror film
'Irreversable' - I haven't seen it, but I hear it is nearly unwatchable.
'Anything by Lars Van Trier' - Not disturbing in the traditional sense, but he takes great pleasure in making grown men cry like little girls. His films are emotionally detrimental. Especially breaking the waves.

There was also this one film from Denmark that I watched about a man investigating the dissapperance of his wife. I forget the title, but it may be called 'the egg' or 'The Vanishing.' It was remade in the US, but they changed the ending, and made it stupid.

My best friend is a film major, so he has shown me alot of Avant Garde that wouldn't even be appropriate to outline. There's a few more that I'm forgetting, If I think of them, I'll post 'em.

A

auxprix

Just remembered one. Find a GOOD copy of an old B&W film called "Carnival of souls." No blood, no guts, no special effects. Just extremely creapy imagery and an unsettling atmosphere.

A

auxprix

Patrick Skerry said:
PINK FLAMINGOES - why would anybody make such a sick thing?
Dear Lord. I think that it's even more disturbing that I'm agreeing with you on something! Anything by John Waters in that timeframe is disgusting beyond imagination.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone remember Eraserhead by David Lynch? That one is messed up.
My roomie says 8mm with Nicholas Cage was one that got to him.

There was one film I saw as a child. The plot of Vulgar brought it back.
It was I believe either French or Italian made film about a clown in a traveling circus and while I don't remember the whole plot or anything ... except that at the end he climbed up the center support pole and dangled himself off one of the trapeeze and stabbed himself with a pencil. His agonizing howl still haunts me whenever I think about it...
The film was black and white... just wish I can remember the title.

One more VERY disturbing but highly recommended film to watch...
FREAKS!
The ending of THAT one will just bend your mind over the fence for a long time.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our esteemed director Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) made a movie in his earlier days called "Braindead" I really have no idea what possessed him to make a film like that, but it was weirded to the max!!!! Just gore and mashed brains with a bit of humour thrown in for a laugh........... not really that funny! Definately not an Academy Award winner!!!!

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shodan said:
'Event Horizon' was without a doubt the most disturbing movie I've ever seen......... *shivers* :xtrmshock

There is a part of that movie where they're viewing the ships logs and it shows the horror of what went on. I slowed it down frame by frame to see what thought and detale went into it,that was the most shocking part of the movie for me.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
The Butterfly Effect (and it's predecessor, Donny Darko) were more depressing than scary.

House of 1000 corpses was... odd... /nod. Interested in seeing the sequel.

I have Vulgar on DVD. S'ok...

Event Horizon was good IMO, as the colors and imagery used just kept you unsettled through the whole movie.

The Ring was ok, but Ringu was better (get the subtitled version, as dubs are bad :D ).

Still think one of the best horror flicks is IT. Tim Curry as Pennywise is just damn creepy (pardon my french).