Diamond pattern top for TKD

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gmwon.jpg

The above photo is of GM Won, In Hui - 8th KKW TKD/9th HMK TKD. The photo is (guessing) circa the 80's.

I know that the diamond pattern top is not necessarily a Hapkido-only uniform. I was curious to see if anyone else in TKD wears, or has worn this type of uniform.

I'm not aware of any Hapkido ranking or training for GM Won, though it is my understanding that he does host Hapkido seminars at his school.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The diamond pattern top was not traditionally a Hapkido uniform. It is most closely associated with the Ji Do Kwan.

Somewhere on the Hapkido threads is a breakdown of the history of the diamond pattern top.

I'm sure posters with more direct knowledge of the history of these tops will be along shortly to straighten us both out. :)

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have seen Grandmaster Dae Sup An (jidokwan) where a diamond pattern top.

gmwon.jpg

The above photo is of GM Won, In Hui - 8th KKW TKD/9th HMK TKD. The photo is (guessing) circa the 80's.

I know that the diamond pattern top is not necessarily a Hapkido-only uniform. I was curious to see if anyone else in TKD wears, or has worn this type of uniform.

I'm not aware of any Hapkido ranking or training for GM Won, though it is my understanding that he does host Hapkido seminars at his school.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

That diamond pattern uniform is NOT a hapkido uniform. I realize that there are martial arts supply companies that call it that. People think that pattern, especially the black uniform with white cross stitching, is hapkido because it was featured in the movie Game of Death for an actor who was seen in the Hapkido portions of the film with GM Ji.

The diamond pattern uniform comes from the bottom of the judo uniform, which has the same cross stitching. The Jidokwan adopted that cross stitching throughout the uniform and made the stitching black as a reminder that its roots are from the Chosun Yun Moo Kwan, which was a Judo school. The Jidokwan symbol also is a combination of the Kodokan symbol and the Shotokan symbol. The pattern on the outside of the Jidokwan symbol as well as the small dot are from the Kodokan; the large circle comes from the Shotokan symbol.

GM Won is a Han Moo Kwan member, and I guess he adopted the same uniform as a tribute also to the Chosun Yun Moo Kwan.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, Glenn. I had started a thread here years ago about the diamond-pattern uniform and it's possible association with the Jido Kwan. (It was the first place I'd seen one. Yet, my first sa bom, who was CDK, wore one also).

It's nice to know that, for some early masters, wearing a unique uniform had meaning beyond just liking the look of the uniform.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, Glenn. I had started a thread here years ago about the diamond-pattern uniform and it's possible association with the Jido Kwan. (It was the first place I'd seen one. Yet, my first sa bom, who was CDK, wore one also).

It's nice to know that, for some early masters, wearing a unique uniform had meaning beyond just liking the look of the uniform.

One of my Korean teachers prefers those uniforms (black with white diamond pattern) and I always assumed it's because he is also a Hapkido guy. His lineage, is Moo Du Kwan, I believe, because he wears a patch with that Kwan's emblem on his uniform. I wil actually call him tommorow to get to the bottom of the matter.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my Korean teachers prefers those uniforms (black with white diamond pattern) and I always assumed it's because he is also a Hapkido guy. His lineage, is Moo Du Kwan, I believe, because he wears a patch with that Kwan's emblem on his uniform. I wil actually call him tommorow to get to the bottom of the matter.

He might just prefer it. But that uniform isn't really used by Hapkido practitioners, at least in Korea. I remember one student bought that uniform for GM Ji as a present, but GM Ji never ever wore it. He doesn't like black uniforms.

One Hapkido kwan, the Tae Moo Kwan founded by GM KWON Tae Man, wore dobok like this for different ranks:

1st Dan: white top, white bottom
2nd Dan: black top, white bottom
3rd Dan: white top, black bottom
4th Dan and higher: black top, black bottom, with the han moon character for Sa (as in Sabumnim) embroidered on the left chest area.

Kuk Sool Won students also wear black dobok.

But now black with white cross stitch tops. I think that uniform is used mainly in the US or outside of Korea. I think the USKMF uses that.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had started a thread here years ago about the diamond-pattern uniform and it's possible association with the Jido Kwan.

My first taekwondo teacher, who was a Jidokwan member, wore that white with black cross stitching dobok. He was the one who explained it to me. He lives two blocks away from me, and whenever I drive by his house, I can see him sitting in his living room in his reclining chair watching tv. :) He has all kinds of cool pictures from the Han Kuk Che Yuk Kwan (Han Che for short), which was the Seoul Jidokwan headquarters. That's where he studied before moving to Hawaii.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
My first taekwondo teacher, who was a Jidokwan member, wore that white with black cross stitching dobok. He was the one who explained it to me. He lives two blocks away from me, and whenever I drive by his house, I can see him sitting in his living room in his reclining chair watching tv. :) He has all kinds of cool pictures from the Han Kuk Che Yuk Kwan (Han Che for short), which was the Seoul Jidokwan headquarters. That's where he studied before moving to Hawaii.

Yes, they are Jidokwan "instructor" uniforms.

I wear both a white diamond stitch and a black diamond stitch uniform. My teacher wears them and his teachers, RYU Byong Kwan, LEE Byong Lo, PAE Yong Ki and LEE Chong Woo all from the Han Kuk Chae Yuk Kwan Dojang (Seoul Jidokwan) wore them. My students wear V-necks.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My first teacher GM Dae Jin Hwang has Jidokwan background and I remember that he has using Diamond stripe uniforms.

Here is one picture

master-hwang.jpg

/Markku P.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this again this morning. It makes me wonder if there is more of a connection between the Jidokwan and the Han Mu Kwan than GM LEE indicates? At least from the perspective of some of his senior people. Jidokwan and senior HMK instructors wearing the diamond pattern uniform isn't conclusive evidence, but it is interesting. If I ever start wearing a uniform again I might just try this type out as I like a uniform that is generally a bit heavier but not quite so much as say a Judo uniform.