DF: Weapons grappling

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Weapons grappling
By FenrisMaelstrom - 09-12-2008 10:48 PM
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

What is the essential nature of grappling when weapons are present?

Most (FMA types) would likely argue that you simply don't go there- on the ground is a dumb place to be when a weapon is involved - then add in the usual multiple attackers factor to drive the point home (pun intended). Just don't do it!

However, one of the primary arguments for the ground game is that most fights end up there. You simply have to have your ground game for the inevitable.

So which one wins? You can somehow avoid the ground game when you intuit that weapons will be used? Or is it just as likely that you will end up having to deal with the broken bottle, or stick, or boot knife, or pen or whatever on the ground.

I'll take the argument that you have to be able to deal with the presence of weapons on the ground. With that assumption, the interesting question becomes:

How does that change the now-classic BJJ ground fight?

Some points I would argue:
  • Get up as soon as possible
  • Weight your focus on the weapon but do not forget the rest of the ground game
  • Recognize that optimal positions like mount actually expose you to a weapon (e.g. blade to inner thigh)
  • The top is still the better place to be (fast exits, body weight, use of ground as third hand)
  • But being on top can expose you to "his friends" - but what's new about that?
  • Make quick transitions - don't try to wear out your opponent - if one thing doesn't work, move on - fast!
If you have any mix of BJJ and FMA background, I'll get you have tried weapons in the ground fight. The percentages for ground fighters is much lower though - they are so focused on perfecting the one-on-one ring fight.

Anyone have any experience to contribute?

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions