Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
The Chain Punch...
By Grixti - Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:56:12 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

Hi there,
I am a student at Kamon in London and have been doing Wing Chun for nearly half a year. The main strikes i have been learning in class are low kicks, knees, elbows, chops, palm strikes and... the chain punch. I know i am only at a very low level in wing chun (i passed my yellow two around 3 months ago, for those of you who also train at Kamon) but it seems that the main form of attack in the style is the chain punch.

Now, im slightly doubtful in the effectiveness of this punch but I think this is largely based on my own incapability of performing the attack effectively. I have improved my chain punching significantly since i started Kamon and do feel that it is a more powerful attack than it looks. It provides the speed to attack multiple times in a row and seems street effective because it can effectively counter the type of wild swings i see in nearly all street fights due to its direct line of attack.

So my question: how effective is this type of attack? Has anyone used this in a real street fight to great effect?

I know Wing Chun has a great reputation for street effectiveness so i am just after some evidence. If Sifu Kevin Chan got in a street fight, would he chain punch the hell out of his attacker?

Any thoughts on chain punching would be great... enlighten me!

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - CMA Feed

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Grixti, where are you training at Kamon? Bear in mind that at basic level, you won't be doing advanced combinations of attacks etc

Chain punch is not the main attack inv kamon wing chun. I use palms more often as well as a good old fak sao and elbow...

We do a lot of changing guard and chain punching at the beginning of classes for exercise purposes more than anything else

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Chain Punch (or any chain strike, really) can be a devestating attack. You just need to know when and how to use it.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I disagree with that. I have been chain punched by several masters of wing chun and each time it was fairly easy to counter

Have you used the chain punch on a resisting opponent Cuong?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fairly often. The trick is to know when and how to use it.

Latest Discussions