DF: Is there a "Northern" Wing Chun system?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Is there a "Northern" Wing Chun system?
By sunfist - Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:10:07 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

In '62 I practiced WC with a guy from China. He told me there is a method he learned from the North, where the entire training is the development of Chi, very much like the methods used in Yiquan. (I-Chi-Li) It took longer to develop in this method but from what I saw of him it was very powerful.
Another thing he told I'll mention in case anyone else has heard a similar thing. He said the real bodyguards to the emperor at the time Shaolin was destroyed were not only Manchu. They were Tibetan and Mongolian Lamas trained in Lions Roar. ( Of course the Chinese dislike this story as they are very nationalistic.) However I have seen Lions Roar twice. (Real LR, not this silly stuff on the internet. There is only, as far as I know, one Tibetan Dzogchen teacher in the US who knows and has taught this system.)
With one of the guys I saw doing LR, We compared it's moves to WC. It made a very strong case for my friend being correct. LR is extremely powerful, but for each of their offensive moves, there was an exact answer in one of the WC blocks or moves. I've always been curious about this concept of WC history, so wondered if anyone on this forum has ever heard a similar story?
Sunfist

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - CMA Feed

Latest Discussions