DF: Go Ju Ryu breathing and Kata's?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Go Ju Ryu breathing and Kata's?
By Darthmaul - Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:02:34 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

I notice that when I see Go Ju Ryu do some of there Kata's they take these deep breaths. What is the reason behind it. Just wondering.

I also was wondering, some of there Kata's or exercises, they do it with there musles really flexed (so it looks slow when they do it cause there using a lot of strenght). Why is that?

I been looking for another martial art, one that has good conditioning, healt, and self defence. Go Ju Ryu seems cool.

Thanks.

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - JMA Feed

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sanchin and tensho kata in Go ju Ryu are breathing katas. But go beyond just breathing when understood they teach you how to breath the dynamics of punching how to tense the body during a strike and be able to asorb punishiment. The moves are over done in kata but there to be found. tenshoe moves on to open hands for blocks and strikes. very good exersise and it was said a person may practice these to kata for 15 years or longer befor they understand what they teach. Other goju kata go from soft to hard slow to fast in movements And in watching a block may also be a strike you find it through learning. Then you find the hidden sweeps take down joint manuovers and such. You find defnce aginst a grab or begining clinch you find releases from arm or wrist grabs You would be surprised how well some kata hide a move. Bunki demonstrates your katas both as offence and defence aginst each movement. Some call the breathing in sanchin or tensho lion breathing because of the forced expelled air where others do it softer. Testing in these to kata boards can be broke over the forarms. Kicks to thr groin are stopped by proper stance if not you get hit in the groin double shutos to the neck punches or kicks to med section ect. When done proper these will not hurt you if not well it hurts. Even some will check your stance for strengh by having 2 people one on each leg try to pull your stance apart..